AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does CBS plan to increase the number of markets that will get 5.1 sound anytime soon? I'm in Hartford (#27) and I'm wasting away in 2.0.

Ralph

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Well, CBS only uses DD5.1 on their Sport presentations. So at least you are not wasting away daily. Only on weekends.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Digital TV standard mandates DD audio not DD5.1. DD can be from 1.0 to 5.1. There is no requirement to have 5.1.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Dycus
The digital TV standard mandates DD5.1 as the audio medium. I don't understand why you are not receiving DD5.1.
Not exactly.

The ATSC HDTV standard calls for Dolby Digital. DD can be delivered in as little as 1 channel to the full 5.1 channels.

Due to getting on the air at such an early date, the satellite equipment to do full DD 5.1 was not available to CBS at that time. Instead, CBS chose to do DD 2.0, which can be decoded by Pro Logic for a satisfactory surround experience.

Earlier this year, CBS acquired the ability to do live events (like The Grammys) in 5.1, and are now doing the NFL games in 5.1. They are adding hardware at their Broadcast Center in NYC for delivery of recorded HD programs in 5.1, and expect to be capable of this sometime early next year.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Here we go again...

The DTV standards mandates Dolby Digital. DD can be anywhere from one channel (mono) to six channels (5.1.) Stereo (2.0) is very common. 5.1 is available from several sources, although not universally, yet.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AreBee
Does CBS plan to increase the number of markets that will get 5.1 sound anytime soon? I'm in Hartford (#27) and I'm wasting away in 2.0.

Ralph
Call your local station and ask them when they plan to upgrade to 5.1 DD audio. If they say soon, don't believe it till it acually happens.

Been waiting for over a year for our local ABC station to go 5.1 and ABC has the most 5.1 programming out of all of the networks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Our CBS affliate sez they are waiting on a new receiver from CBS before they can start transmitting DD 5.1

Also have word from the local WB affliate that WB is making the move to 5.1.

If only our FOX station would get their act together for 5.1

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
If only our FOX station would get their act together for 5.1
I wish my Fox station would get off the analog platform! I can't even complain that they are only 480p!

I'll check with WFSB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.