Just a quick note to let you know that we plan on beginning digital

over-the-air broadcasts on Thursday, May 31. AT&T Cable tells us they've

fixed their infrastructure problems and are ready for us to begin

low-powered broadcasts. We're set to begin sometime Thursday morning

although I'm not sure exactly when. This is also contingent on everything

working properly at the transmitter. (This stuff hasn't been fired up for

almost two years.)

It's doubtful that you will be able to receive our low powered signal as far

out as you are, but stranger things have happened.

Let me know if you are able to see us Thursday. If not, you can keep

watching cable for now. Once we're up to full power you should definitely

be able to watch us over the air.
[This message has been edited by Sigma902 (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
This would be a great surprise if it really does happen since Bob Ross has been saying that they needed a new transmitter site that wouldn't be operational until the fall. Let's hope it happens!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sigma902,

Do we know when they will be at full power? I too live in a far south suburb so probably will not get the signal.

Would you post the e-mail addy of the engineer??

Tim

·
Registered
491 Posts
Awesome news!

WBBM-DT should be on channel 3.

------------------

Vance
My HT Pics

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Knowing how rumors abound on the Internet I am taking a "Wait And See" attitude! To be saying all along that they will be putting up a new transmitter and starting in the fall to out of the blue supposedly saying in less then a week is a bit suspect at best. I hope it turns out to be true for the sake of all the HD viewers in the Chicagoland area! Also curious that a engineer "in the know" would actually be working Memorial weekend!

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm extremely hopeful that this is true. I also think it makes more sense than others might think. We've all been suspicious why WBBM hasn't been putting more muscle on AT&T to correct the problem on their end since CBS own's the FCC channel. Also, Bob's comments about the transmitter site have always been vague. So perhaps the behind the scenes dealing were that AT&T would have to compensate WBBM for the new transmitter unless they made their system compatible. Maybe it just turned out that it was more cost effective for AT&T to fix their problem.

Also, don't be so sure valuable employees aren't working on holidays. Most techs are still hourly paid and many look forward to the double time.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I sent Bob Ross an e-mail, referring to this thread asking what he knew about the situation, here's his respons from this morning:

We are going to try and run a few experiments. This will decide if enough

of the cable system has changed. We are working very closely with ATandT

this time

Bob

Let's hope that things work and and they can fire the transmitter up, I sure would like to see what everone else that can get CBS-DT has been talking about!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Please see the post above then this update I just got from Bob:

BTW it has moved to a week from today

So June 5th is now the magic day to see if AT&T got their act together. If it works it's still better then waiting until October!

·
Registered
171 Posts
WooooHooooooo,

Fire it up! I can't wait to see what everyone else has been talking about. Let's just hope everything works out. Now if only we could get Dave in HD. Leno is okay but he's no Dave. I haven't watched Dave(or any CBS)at all since getting HD, the picture is just unbearable to watch.

Great News,

Rick

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have just confirmed with Bob, WBBM will attempt on-air testing beginning Tuesday, June 5. The testing is being performed with close cooperation from AT&T. This is no guaranty of permanent transmission, it is merely a test. Hopefully, positive results will accelerate the schedule. Stay tuned...

------------------

Rob

CBS

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did anyone receive WBBM-DT yesterday? Nothing happening here (26 miles out). I did notice some unusual interference (it looked like beat noise) on CH-2 (NTSC) that stopped at about 5 PM, but my Pana TU-HDS-20 didn't notice a thing.

Best Regards,

Alex Hirsbrunner

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
If you read all the post in the thread you'll see that Bob Ross at CBS says that the date was changed to next Tuesday, 6/5, for the testing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Rad - I'll wait a week - and read the entire thread next time rather than just scrolling to the bottom looking for reports!

Best Regards,

Alex Hirsbrunner

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I sent an e-mail to Bob Ross asking if he knew of a schedule for Tiesday's testing, the response was:

I do not know what time things

kick off on Tues. There is a full test plan from 35 watts to 2500 watts

(full power). My guess is it will take most of the day. When I know more

ill post it up to AVS.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hi all,

Please let me first point out that AT&T has been and continues to be very interested in helping CBS find solutions to the Channel 3 problems that have historically plagued the old Prime Cable system which AT&T's acquired effective January 1 of this year.

The HD transmitter test is scheduled to start at 9AM this Tuesday. AT&T will be have multiple test points throughout the immediate area around the Hancock looking for interference. The power of the transmission will be around 35W.

The goal is to look for interference not only impacting the old Prime Cable system near the Hancock but also other cable services like RCN that support many of the high rise buildings in the downtown area.

If the test goes well on Tuesday, we will plan another test later this week at a higher power and repeat the testing again.

Wish us luck!

Chuck

·
Registered
314 Posts
I live 4 miles from the Sears tower. I'm using the RCA DTC-100 and a Radio Shack bunny ears antenna. I consistently receive all ota digital broadcasts (abc, nbc, wgn etc.) at 85-90 strength with no dropouts. I will report back on Tuesday if I receive a WBBM-DT signal.

However, even at this proximity I may not see anything if testing is only at 35W and may need to wait until they increase the power.

Ray

[This message has been edited by guptown (edited 06-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by guptown (edited 06-03-2001).]

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Rick,

It has been a long road. Lets' hope for the best...

Before we shut down the Channel 3 transmitter last time we were running at 35 watts and customer complaint calls were still flooding into Prime Cable and AT&T.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Ray,

If digital holds up to what they say, 35 watts should provide an excellent signal 4 miles away!

Lets us know what you see.

Thanks!

Chuck

1 - 20 of 298 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.