AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that todays game between Tennessee and Alabama looks very much like last weeks game. It's obviously not near as sharp as last nights game on HD-NET.

Not that it looks bad, mind you.

I wonder what the problem is.

Frank

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Soft looking here as well. Certainly not the "open window" look that can really hook a new viewer. Disappointing in view of the fact the game is supposed to hellp Samsung and Sears promote HDTV.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took a trip over to my local Sears store during the game to see how their HDTV demo looked.

I didn't expect much but was really disapointed anyway.

They had many displays showing the football game and they all looked unbelievably bad.

I can not imagine anyone forking over thousands of dollars after seeing images like that.

Frank

·
Registered
599 Posts
did anyone else have center channel sound problems in the 4th qtr?

i enjoyed the game (not the result) - i wish the sun hadn't gone down.

i wonder if i'm just getting accustomed to my LT150 picture, because while this looked good, it doesn't have the same psycological effect that i experienced 2 weeks ago when i viewed football for 10 minutes (the 1st time i ever saw CBS hd sat football).

you guys say its soft - well its always less than "real" HD for me since I'm showing it on a LT150. The whites sure were white though - and i thought the worse part of the 'experience' was the lower-res graphics and contant low-res highlights from other games - but i wouldn't say they were show stoppers - just the least enjoyable.

thx CBS for the effort!!!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looked considerably better then SD. No doubt about that.

At least on my display it did.

At Sears, the images looked about the same as SD or maybe a little worse.

Ironically, one of the worst looking images of the game was on the Samsung.

The Sears HDTV display was the worst I have seen at any of the local stores. The sales people are sure nice though. :)

Frank

·
Registered
520 Posts
It looked real soft on my ExpressVu system. Not even close to HdNet quality. And the graphics were awful. Plus they had a lip-sync problem too. Why cant they have sharp graphics? And it seems every show is having some sort of lip-sync problems ( see thread about The Birdcage on ABC ). Maybe this is Rocket Science after all!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I agree, the PQ wasnt up to par with the HDnet broadcast last night, but at least CBS does HD, so I cant complain that much. Did you see how bad some of the SD replays looked.:eek:

Fred

·
Registered
942 Posts
Im noticed that the camera was out of focus and the cameraman would refocus during the shot. Very distracting.

The overall broadcast was soft, but much better than SD.

Jerry

·
Registered
760 Posts
Dissappointing. There is no excuse for not getting video-sourced HD shot and come out properly. Way to go to Mark Cuban! Someone told me he once said it will take HD-Net a couple of years to get to the levels of a CBS. Well, there's really no comparison already! Even the stuff on PBS looks mesmerizing in comparison.

Shame!

Luca

·
Registered
456 Posts
Funny thing this "softness" was not present for the first game or two that CBS did.

My theory about overcast sky (causing it) didn't hold up either as the Tenn/Alabama game was played under sunny conditions.

I wonder what the heck happened that introduced this softness?

Bob

·
Registered
178 Posts
I noticed the "softness" also and was a bit disappointed. My 'bama and Tennessee guests were still quite impressed with the picture--especially when CBS ran a replay from their SD cameras.

But there was a noticable difference in picture quality from two weeks ago (and HDNet). It almost felt as though CBS just hasn't cleaned their lenses off.

It was still noticable when they switched to SD cameras for live coverage vs their HD cameras, so I don't think they're trying to pass of SD for HD. But I am wondering what caused the noticable drop in quality--lower res? Extra pass-thru that downgrades the signal?

Kevin

·
Registered
599 Posts
i'm sure the CBS guy who monitors this (and we appreciate you for speaking here) will have to listen to us this week.

after last week's game he posted that 'all was status quo' in terms of same equipment, cameras, personnel, etc.

and with the sunshine, as was stated above, that removes any doubt that the shade was causing the picture difference.

maybe the CBS folks can pow-wow this weak and make sure they REALLY haven't done something different. all of us can't be wrong - can we?

jaymer...

ps - JEERS to those college cheerleaders who pop around like mexican jumping beans - geez - can't even get a good EYEFULL cause they are always moving!!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
It would be interesting to get Bob's take on this. As stated , we all cant be wrong. With these sports telecasts I like to look at the crowd and try to see how much detail you can see on their faces. And the players names and numbers on their uniforms also tell the tell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.