AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Saturday I was visiting friends in Roanoke, Va. and happened upon a quick visit to Sears at the Valley View Mall around 3PM Saturday. The CBS-HD game of the week had not been tuned in yet. I was informed the station did not begin its broadcast until exactly 3:30PM. Apparently the Sears/DISH waiver is only for the game and no other WCBS programming. Anyway, I was dissappointed with the resolution, which looked worse than the analog set next to it showing the ABC game. Also the picture looked to be in stretch mode. Was this only a problem at this Sears or was there a problem in general with last Saturday's telecast? Just wondering!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We went through the menu on the Dish 6000, and it showed the tuner to be in 16:9 and 1080i mode, but all the TVs (at least a dozen hooked into this tuner) displayed a stretched mode picture. Neither one of us could figure out how to unstretch it. The salesman was sort of in a fog. At first he thought this was an excellent picture, and was rather annoyed that I was complaining about it. But believe me, it was in STRETCH mode with poor resolution.

·
Banned
410 Posts
Sounds to me like they did NOT have the HD signals from the tuner distributed to the TVs. Sounds like they only had an S-vid out or composite feeding a distribution box and then the TVs.

Either that or the local CBS station was not sending the correct feed on their HD 8vsb signal.

I saw a similar situation with FRY's in Sunnyvale when I was out there a couple of weeks ago. They had HDNET on every single television in their AV dept. and every single feed was off the S-Vid output of the STB. I couldn't believe it. Especially at a Fry's. They had this beautiful Panasonic plasma showing the downrez'ed SD feed from HDNET. What a waste.

Rick

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by wirehead_rick
Sounds to me like they did NOT have the HD signals from the tuner distributed to the TVs. Sounds like they only had an S-vid out or composite feeding a distribution box and then the TVs.

Rick
You may be correct--that never occurred to me. The feed was from DISH Network. Roanoke's WDBJ is still probably 2 years away from going digital. What a waste of a great promotion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.