Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, first post -- great board.

I (finally) got CBSHD on DishNet in Denver, last night... the folks at the station in Wyoming were really great, and I got the variance quickly faxed to dish tech support. Dish took their time getting me going, but at least I have something now.

Anyway, I'm just wondering about the Florida game on Saturday? Is it still supposed to be HD/WS?

The CBS HD page no longer has a reference to any basketball games being covered in HD, so I'm just concerned it might be gone.

Anyone know any more about CBS HD and college hoops?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
As far as what I have been reading and told the Maryland vs Florida game will indeed be in full HD (and WS).

Go Gators (don't blow it)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gator99

Go Gators (don't blow it)
Got to go the opposite way and say Go Terps!!!!!!!

It possible that UMD might lose since they did lose to Indiana and Notre Dame.

Hopefully it will remain HD since the Comcast Center (Maryland's new arena) is said to be equipped with HD cameras.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Here is the current CBS NCAA HDTV Basketball Schedule:

DEC. 14

Florida @ Maryland, 2:00PM

DEC. 21

UCLA @ Kansas, 2:00PM

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Here is the current CBS NCAA HDTV Basketball Schedule:

DEC. 14

Florida @ Maryland, 2:00PM

DEC. 21

UCLA @ Kansas, 2:00PM
Ken H - are you sure about that? ;)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Ken H - are you sure about that? ;)
Sort of.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is going to sound very dumb, but are the CBS HD Basketball games as outstanding as the Football coverage? Are they widescreen just like the football. I have a buddy coming up to see me this weekend and I would love to wow him with some true High Def Sports. I know that Armegeddon is on Saturday night on ABC and from what I read it doesn't sound like it will be that amazing, but I am very anxious to show him some sports.

Sure, I could show him the PBS feed, but how long can a couple of long time friends that love sports, watch a show about trains. BTW, the show I am referring to (can't recall the name) was really good, and interesting too, but I would never admit to it in front of my buddy.

Thanks.......

Panasonic 47wx49

Dish 6000 with OTA Module

Harmon Kardon AVR 320 receiver

JBL speakers and sub

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ne14a69too
This is going to sound very dumb, but are the CBS HD Basketball games as outstanding as the Football coverage? Are they widescreen just like the football. I have a buddy coming up to see me this weekend and I would love to wow him with some true High Def Sports. I know that Armegeddon is on Saturday night on ABC and from what I read it doesn't sound like it will be that amazing, but I am very anxious to show him some sports.
I think the football offers much better PQ because it's not as quick paced, but that's not to say that the HD hoops isn't great. It is (or was last year anyway). The switches to SD cameras for replays and the like can be quite jarring, but overall it's an excellent way to show of HD sports.

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
One of the problems with basketball HD coverage seems to be the use of flash photography by fans in the venue. Since MPEG works best the less change there is from frame to frame, the sudden flash, then lack of flash results in two completely new frames, which leads to some distortion.

The amount of distortion you'll see depends a lot on your local station. Here, our CBS affiliate runs one HD and one SD channel, plus a high-speed internet service. All on the same DT channel.

So, football looks great until they pan quickly through the crowd. Basketball looks better earlier in the season (fans take more photos at the tournaments). Baseball, to me, looks the best. The lack of a lot of action favors MPEG and the resulting pictures are stunning.

Doc

·
Registered
532 Posts
The last few Final Fours have looked great in HD. Basketball really benefits from 16:9 because the entire half court fits in the frame under each basket. You have the opportunity to see much more of the action.

And by the way... Go Terps! 2002 NCAA Champions.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John_D
The last few Final Fours have looked great in HD. Basketball really benefits from 16:9 because the entire half court fits in the frame under each basket. You have the opportunity to see much more of the action.

And by the way... Go Terps! 2002 NCAA Champions.
Actually, I seem to remember quite a bit of griping about last year's Final Four.

Oh and hey, the Terps looked outstanding against my Irish last week. :D

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
From what i remember, the griping was because 1/2 the shots (Free throws especially) that were NOT High DEF. Made it odd to watch because the picture went from beautiful to not so beautiful quite often. Drew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, after two years, thousands of dollars, a waiver from a TV station in another state, and very slow DishNet service... I actually got to watch college basketball in HD at home.

Probably be the last time 'til the tourney, unfortunately.

I agree about the SD shots -- the mid-court camera was low-res, as was the one they used on the announcer. It was like watching a great picture, then suddenly switching to paint-by-numbers shots.

Thank you, CBS!!!!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I hope CBS will be doing more HD games.. Last year they did several non-tourney games in HD, and expanded the tournament coverage to include games in each round.

During the regular season, they were experimenting with doing the games in 16:9 for the SD coverage, to optimize the HD/SD coverage.

Did anyone check the Maryland/Florida game on the SD channel? Was it 4:3 or letterboxed 16:9?

I am optimistic that, given CBS's leadership in HDTV, they will continue to expand their coverage.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DrDon
One of the problems with basketball HD coverage seems to be the use of flash photography by fans in the venue. Since MPEG works best the less change there is from frame to frame, the sudden flash, then lack of flash results in two completely new frames, which leads to some distortion.

Doc
The Flashes do not come from the fans. I've been to several coll. basketball games and the flashes come from up in the rafters. This has happened at a bunch of different venues I've been at. i don't know if maybe a camera is taking pictures of the plays for the coaches or what, but its just as annoying at the games as it is on TV.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hpierce
The Flashes do not come from the fans. I've been to several coll. basketball games and the flashes come from up in the rafters. This has happened at a bunch of different venues I've been at. i don't know if maybe a camera is taking pictures of the plays for the coaches or what, but its just as annoying at the games as it is on TV.
These flashes are most likely from the "offical" team photographer who has a remote on their camera to sync the flash with their camera.

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hpierce
Well, I've covered 4 NCAA tournaments and the places must have been full of team photographers .

In all honesty, there is a ton of press at the tournaments (although I don't recall them using flash), but I saw countless fans, usually in the bleacher seats, snapping away. Most likely a player's parents. And, yeah, it is pretty bothersome at the games, but, because of the brighter lighting to begin with, it didn't seem as noticeable to me as it does on HDTV. Then, again, I was at floor level, most of the time.

I've also noticed that this doens't happen nearly as much at regular season games.

Doc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.