AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was an ad in the 1/22/04 Chicago Tribune Businees back page stating CBS HDTV will be in Chicago form DirecTv. Anyone know what areas in Chicago or the suburbs DirecTv will carry this. Live in Planfield and curious if anyone has any news?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
See the sticky.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Truth is, we don't know for sure. All DirecTV has said indicates that if you have locals from Chicago, you'll get it. However, if they follow Dish Network's policies and you overlap with any other market (in other words if you could get a Grade B signal from a neighboring market i.e. Milwaukee, South Bend, Rockford, etc.) You may need a waiver. We won't really know until Jan 30

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bakerfall
Truth is, we don't know for sure. All DirecTV has said indicates that if you have locals from Chicago, you'll get it. However, if they follow Dish Network's policies and you overlap with any other market (in other words if you could get a Grade B signal from a neighboring market i.e. Milwaukee, South Bend, Rockford, etc.) You may need a waiver. We won't really know until Jan 30
This makes me wonder if you will need a waiver from the neighboring markets. Why in the world would you advertise with a half(full?) page ad, that it will be available, if everyone needed a waiver? It wouldn't make for too good of publicity if they couldn't get it, without a waiver.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I thought the same thing reading the ad, but D* seems to delight in blacking us out unexpectedly in Chicago. We'll see how this one works out. Their CBS feed would be a nice backup for OTA, but personally I would have preferred Starz & Cinemax HD to the CBS & Fox feeds.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck_IV
This makes me wonder if you will need a waiver from the neighboring markets. Why in the world would you advertise with a half(full?) page ad, that it will be available, if everyone needed a waiver? It wouldn't make for too good of publicity if they couldn't get it, without a waiver.
Because once you're signed up, you're under contract for a year or two.

Brian (imagining D* CSRs will be getting lessons in instructing customers about the joy of OTA antennas)

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stickyfingers
Because once you're signed up, you're under contract for a year or two.

Brian (imagining D* CSRs will be getting lessons in instructing customers about the joy of OTA antennas)
I believe you still have some amount of days to get out of the contract, without penalty. I'm not sure if this is a state by state thing tho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.