AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start this topic off by stating that in my view CBS (*in NYC OTA)has really guided me to view there scheduled evening line up. I'm really not a network broadcast viewer person, other than sports and usually go for movies, DVD's/LD's material. Compared to all the other network shows that I can get now OTA (as in WB/NBC/FOX/ABC/CBS), in my opinion CBS wins hands down. It seems that there programming has really gotten better, Monday night's line up is really something to look forward to, with the comedy line-up, the rest of the week isn't to shabby either. The picture quality is far superior than any of the others. I do realize that the others are still setting up antennas and testing on the WTC/ESB buildings in Manhattan, and most all are on from 8pm till 11pm then shut down, but I do feel the folks at CBS have set the standard for others to compare to. They broadcast 24/7 all digital, the up-converted 480 local news even wins. The content of the shows being viewed as in my case, are just icing on the cake. Does anyone else have an opinion?
------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Graphics,

Quote:
Originally posted by Graphics:
Does anyone else have an opinion?
I do. If CBS HDTV was available in my area, then I would certainly tune them in. This is from someone who has not watched network TV, other than PBS, in more than twenty years. My better half really likes Touched By An Angel.

IMHO, I think CBS deserves a lot of support because they support HDTV.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Rick agrees. I now find myself watching alot of the CBS line-up, and started because they were in HD, but now enjoy many of their programs, with CSI and THE DISTRICT being my favorites. Again, a BIG KUDOS to CBS, from someone who has not watched any network prime time in eons !!

-rick

·
Registered
540 Posts
I hadn't watched a cbs show in years (except for sports), and now I find myself tuning in every single night.

Thumbs up here.

·
Registered
801 Posts
CBS has replaced NBC as the premier technology network. CBS is to HD what NBC was to color.

Maybe Panasonic and CBS should merge and become what RCA and NBC were to color?????

Bob Smith

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have to admit that I never watched CBS except for Sports prior to getting my HDTV setup. Now I have some "appontment televison" that I rarely miss. CSI has become one of my favorite shows. I guess it is telling that I find out whether the show is HD or not prior to viewing.

Now if we can just get the Dolby Digital 5.1 going....

·
Registered
144 Posts
If the affiliate here in Phoenix would do something besides 480p I'd watch CBS a lot more. It's amazing that the 8th largest city in the country can't have their affiliate do the right thing. Their reply to me was 'we are meeting the FCC requirement'. Pathetic.

------------------

I'm Porky Pig of Borg you will be assim-assim-assim- absorbed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oosik77:
If the affiliate here in Phoenix would do something besides 480p I'd watch CBS a lot more. It's amazing that the 8th largest city in the country can't have their affiliate do the right thing. Their reply to me was 'we are meeting the FCC requirement'. Pathetic.
Well, it's not even 480p. It's just an ugly almost square box of 480i SDTV which looks worse than the analog NTSC broadcast.

Please join our KPHO-HDTV petition group, if not already done so at: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/001617.html

------------------

***Stop DFAST, HDCP and Boycott JVC*** HTPC1: P-III 800Mhz EB, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS CUSL2 Mobo,Telemann HiPix HDTV PCI card, Geforce 2 GTS 32MB DDR, Creative DVD-RAM, Creative Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 Dolby Digital, IBM 45GB 7200rpm HD, SuperMicro 750 FullTower with 6 fans, Cable Modem, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u (22")

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Now if they would only show their Sunday night movies in OAR. I was super disappointed when Executive Decision came on in 4:3.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
115 Posts
I cannot agree with you more...CBS deserves highest praise for their continuing commitment to HD...It is unfortunate that i am forced to view their programming in HD from Express Vue...There is no OTA reception within 100 miles from here....

------------------

Paul Murray

·
Registered
196 Posts
CBS is indeed leading the way in providing HDTV prime-time programming. But, let's put this statement in perspective:

The only reason all of these shows are on in HD is that someone put a large sum of money on the table to make it happen. In this case, it was Panasonic, who is sponsoring 11 of the prime-time shows. Last year, it was Mitsubishi. The remaining 2000-2001 CBS prime-time shows are in effect subsidized by a large Hollywood post-production facility.

This sponsorship money could just have easily gone to another network. ABC is scheduling quite a few movies in 720p, plus several Disney movies and features. And, of course, there's NYPD Blue every Tuesday. No additional sponsorship money has been put on the table to make this happen - ABC is producing all of these HD-casts with their own money.

Don't forget - ABC is still the only network to support a surround-sound format (Dolby 5.1). Virtually every movie they produce is in 5.1, as well as NYPD Blue. CBS stations are set up to encode and transmit 5.1 - and my local affiliate does transmit such a presence - but the soundtracks are only available in stereo.

If you are wondering why more prime-time shows aren't on in HD, the impetus to make this happen doesn't come from the network as much as from the producers of the individual shows. Steven Bochco's production company wanted to do NYPD Blue in 720p. That's where the ball started rolling.

There is considerable interest in doing more prime-time shows in HD, provided the sponsorship money is available. I believe the reason NBC's "ER" is appearing in letterboxed 480i is to get the viewing public used to the format - that's how it will appear once the show is available in 1080i 16x9.

CBS, in contrast, crops in slightly on the 16x9 image to produce the 480i SDTV version of its prime-time shows.

It is not unreasonable to assume that the shows available in HDTV will be amog each network's top-rated programs. Shows to watch for possible HD-casts this coming fall would include "West Wing" and "The Practice", in addition to "ER".

Any advertiser who wants to sell HDTV equipment will naturally gravitate towards the top-rated shows, to ensure the largest possible audience out of the still-small group of HDTV viewers in this country.

Fox has stated from the beginning that they will support the 480p format for all network broadcasts. They have several good technical reasons for doing this. And, I must say, the 16x9 480p versions of shows like "X Files" and "Ally McBeal" are quite an improvement over 4x3 480i.

Once again, Fox is supporting 15 hours per week of 480p 16x9 at their own expense, with no additional advertiser money.

To recap, CBS is indeed leading the way, but how many shows do you think would be broadcast in 1080i on "The Big Eye" if there were no sponsorship dollars on the table?

KC

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Well, I'm a walking (or couch potato sitting) testimonial to the power of HD. I rarely watched CBS network shows (or any other network for that matter) until the advent of HD. I am now glued to most CBS prime time shows. I will forever support the pioneer of OTA HD in the broadcasting industry.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelH:

Bob Ross, you lurking? This thread really should be shared with your advertisers....

[This message has been edited by MichaelH (edited 03-27-2001).]

Yep I'm here.

Yes, we do have a partnership with several of the CEA members. We work with them everyday. Because of this beneficial arrangement, for all of us - we have aired 1700 hours of HD material over two years.

Any of the networks could of done this - CBS stepped up and got it done.

Sorry - I'm off the soapbox - slight flame off

Bob

------------------

CBS New York

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Another me too post. I watch shows that I would not have previously watched on CBS. Although CBS is not your grandpa's network anymore. I am a TV junkie so I watch a lot of TV. My wife and I both are Gen X'ers (I hate that term) that were raised on TV. I sometimes joke that if we lost power I would look over at my wife and say "Who are you?".

I am very appreciative of CBS's efforts. Although we are a very small minority I am willing to bet that most of us (us being HDTV'ers) are in a demographic that SPENDS, SPENDS, SPENDS. So advertisers are getting their money's worth.

Dino

·
Registered
114 Posts
I watch CBS, to support their commitment to HDTV as most have

already stated.

And the only resson for my "me too" post is to show my support.

I have sent e-mails to CBS thanking them,& maybe we should email them a

link to this thread!

THUMBS UP CBS!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I really never watched CBS (except for news and one or two CSIs) but now it's the station of choice for OTA evening viewing.

One thing that I'm surprised about is that ads aren't in HD, also. Shifting from an HD picture to an SD ad really breaks the mood and pulls you away from involvement with the picture and sound. I think that companies advertising on CBS HD programs are doing themselves a great disservice by not paying the relatively modest fee to have their ads shown in HD. Is there some technical reason CBS can't do that? I wouldn't think so since they inserted RCA ads in the Superbowl and other events.

Rick

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well after viewing 21 or so replies and opinions of members it seems unanimous that CBS gets a big thumbs up. In some responses I couldn't agree with any better.

Quote:
Wendell R. Breland:
IMHO, I think CBS deserves a lot of support because they support HDTV.

Quote:
Bob Smith:
CBS has replaced NBC as the premier technology network. CBS is to HD what NBC was to color.

Quote:
SMITHMURRA:
I cannot agree with you more...CBS deserves highest praise for their continuing commitment to HD...

Quote:
Bob Ross:
Any of the networks could of done this - CBS stepped up and got it done.

Quote:
dpak2000:
All I can say is God Bless CBS, and maybe they can drag some of the other networks with them soon. They've taken the lead!

Quote:
Ken Ross:
I am now glued to most CBS prime time shows. I will forever support the pioneer of OTA HD in the broadcasting industry.

Good Show CBS!...Clap...Clap...Clap...Clap!

CC:Black Rock
------------------

Graphics

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST, Boycott JVC

·
Registered
166 Posts
Everyone above can speak for me. Looking forward to tonite CBS HD.

John

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.