AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching today's UGA/LSU game has got me thinking.

Week 1 NFL had the Chiefs who have red jerseys and there was alot of pixelation. UGA have red jerseys and today I have seen very very very minute pixelation, if at all. The PQ is unbelieveable. Why is there such a difference?

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Perhaps your OTA broadcaster received complaints and increased the bit rate of the broadcast? Or perhaps the HD truck responsible for the broadcast has different equipment?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Last week's SEC HDTV game had two red teams - lots of pixelation. Maybe it's always there, but it's just easier to see?

FYI, 'CFL' is the Canadian Football league. Don't think that's in HD.;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djs
FYI, 'CFL' is the Canadian Football league. Don't think that's in HD.;)
Actually it is. TSN in Canada has done a few games in HD this season. I have watched them on Bell Expressvu.

·
Registered
360 Posts
CFL on TSN is way better than NFL games for PQ. Very little compression problems seen. ABC MNF looks terrible IMO

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Way better than what? Way better than your particular CBS/ABC feeds, you mean? What is your source for these feeds?

For example, the CBS/ABC feeds distributed on ExpressVu use much higher compression than found on many OTA affiliate broadcasts.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If the compression affects the ABC/CBS feeds on BEV, it should affect it on TSNHD as well, shouldn't it? On BEV, today's CFL game has better PQ than the SEC game yesterday and the usually offerings of MNF and ESPN's Sunday Night Football.

Cheers,

Sean

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
swillis,

Not necessarily. I know the CBS and ABC HD feeds on BEV are a lower bit rate, but this could simply be the fault of the two particular affiliates they have decided to carry (I do not know). The different HD channels on BEV use different bit rates, as far as I know.

I don't how how much extra bandwidth TSN-HD gets, assuming it gets any extra at all. Unless you can determine the bit rate of TSN-HD (i.e. using a 169time mod'd 6000 receiver) there's no way to make an apples to apples comparison. However, for reference, I don't see much artifacting on most of my local CBS HD broadcasts, which are given the full 19.4Mbps (of course, I get it on fast motion as typical of 1080i).

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Comparing the previous two weeks of CBS games is not really fair, as there has been a major problem with the BEV CBS transmision. Today, I'm still seeing a little macroblocking that my local CBS station does not have.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The BEV CBS feeds as Ken stated were rather poor the first couple of weeks but noticibly better this week. Not quite there yet but almost.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
Comparing the previous two weeks of CBS games is not really fair, as there has been a major problem with the BEV CBS transmision. Today, I'm still seeing a little macroblocking that my local CBS station does not have.
The TSN-HD productions are flat out superior. I get CBS OTA from WWNY and BEV as well. TSN's HD CFL games have superior picture quality to either of these sources...........the football however is another matter:(

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
The TSN-HD productions are flat out superior. I get CBS OTA from WWNY and BEV as well. TSN's HD CFL games have superior picture quality to either of these sources...........the football however is another matter
WWNY is not a good example either, because they do multicasting (according to their home page), so you probably only get 65% to 80% of the bit rate for HDTV, and thus reduced quality. If you are seeing compression artifacts or pixelization, some amount of that will be due to the reduced bandwidth.

·
Registered
360 Posts
ABC and TSNHD according to my DVB card are very similar bitrate, around 2 megs/sec plus 380kbit/s for audio so 16.5 Mbit/s or so. All the BEV channels seem to have that bitrate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.