AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not seen a press release yet confirming that CBS is once again doing the US Open Tennis in HD, but a few minutes ago during the PGA coverage, they did a US Open promo with the tag "in HDTV where available."

Wonder how much HD USA Network will do during their coverage?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Expected and welcome, as this will be the 7th year of US Tennis Open coverage in HDTV from CBS.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Universal HD U.S. Open schedule is up on the station's Web site, which can be found here . It looks like the night sessions from Monday, Aug. 29-Monday, Sept. 5 will be available in HD live, as will both the day and night sessions Tuesday, Sept. 6-Thursday, Sept. 8.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Maybe we'll be able to see Rodick's serve then. His serving at the Cincinnati tournament has been INSANE! He's regularly hitting it at around 145, and he just missed a 150 mpher yesterday. And they've decided NOT to use Shotspot at the Open! His racquet is just a blur on forehands in SD. Tennis needs to be in HD and on a big screen. I just hope they frame it for 16x9. The last US Open Series tournament I saw in HD was definately framed for 4:3. They just kept showing the area beyond the doubles alleys and the stands on the left and right sides of the screen.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
Maybe we'll be able to see Rodick's serve then. His serving at the Cincinnati tournament has been INSANE! He's regularly hitting it at around 145, and he just missed a 150 mpher yesterday. And they've decided NOT to use Shotspot at the Open! His racquet is just a blur on forehands in SD. Tennis needs to be in HD and on a big screen. I just hope they frame it for 16x9. The last US Open Series tournament I saw in HD was definately framed for 4:3. They just kept showing the area beyond the doubles alleys and the stands on the left and right sides of the screen.
Roddick IS awesome!

The RCA tourney was televised by NBC in HD, and it looked pretty good. You are right that it was not framed for 16x9, but still easy to follow the ball with the dark blue court. The shimmering net was a little distracting.

Can't wait for the US Open on UHD and CBS.

·
Registered
120 Posts
HD sports guide is showing Pilot Pen coverage next week in HD. Unfortunately, it is on ESPN 2 which very few people get in HD. However, I hear that DirecTV is launching the HD version soon. Probably not in time for next week.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Awesome. What is the UHD coverage? Is it partial coverage from USA in HD?

Singles tennis doesn't really lend itself to 16:9, does it? It's a fairly vertical game from a camera's point of view.

The CBS HD promos for the 2005 US Open started during last year's US Open, IIRC.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt81
Roddick IS awesome!

The Pilot Pen tourney was televised by NBC in HD, and it looked pretty good. You are right that it was not framed for 16x9, but still easy to follow the ball with the dark blue court. The shimmering net was a little distracting.

Can't wait for the US Open on UHD and CBS.
Roddick is awesome, but he lost to my boy Robby Ginepri a few weeks ago at the RCA Championship :cool:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdemart
Roddick is awesome, but he lost to my boy Robby Ginepri a few weeks ago at the RCA Championship :cool:
And your boy just clobbered Safin. He'll probably meet Federer in the semis.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Quote:
Damn I missed it. What channel is this tourney on? I used to play tennis with Robby when we were on swim team together a LONG time ago.

·
Registered
544 Posts
nm. I see it. On the deuce.

Andy Roddick vs. Mikhail Youzhny is on tonight...

Well its not on grass so maybe he has a shot at Federer...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Quote:
Just watched him lose to Federer. It was a close match. Robby took the first set then lost 7-5, 6-4 in the next 2.

Still, he almost beat the number 1 player in the world and he should move up to about 40th in the world.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Unless there is a separate 4:3 SD operation covering the event for overseas rights holders, it is unlikely it will be framed anything but 4:3 safe, so that the central portion is good for 4:3 viewers in other countries.

CBS may well have a host-broadcast deal, as well as a US coverage deal, (bit like the BBC have with Wimbledon), so the needs of overseas broadcasters have to be factored in as well.

16:9 letterboxed SD coverage would not be acceptable to most rights holders, who will have paid for the rights to show the broadcasts overseas, so unless there is dual coverage (unlikely I suspect), then the 16:9 HD will surely have to be framed 4:3 safe.

Question for us in the UK - will we get it in 16:9 SD or 4:3 SD?!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000
Unless there is a separate 4:3 SD operation covering the event for overseas rights holders, it is unlikely it will be framed anything but 4:3 safe, so that the central portion is good for 4:3 viewers in other countries.

CBS may well have a host-broadcast deal, as well as a US coverage deal, (bit like the BBC have with Wimbledon), so the needs of overseas broadcasters have to be factored in as well.

16:9 letterboxed SD coverage would not be acceptable to most rights holders, who will have paid for the rights to show the broadcasts overseas, so unless there is dual coverage (unlikely I suspect), then the 16:9 HD will surely have to be framed 4:3 safe.

Question for us in the UK - will we get it in 16:9 SD or 4:3 SD?!

I guess 16:9 SD would be a dream for you guys in the UK. Has Sky Sports still the rights for it? I was last year in the UK and watched it over Sky Sports. The on-air Design with the Open TV interactive Platform is really great, but as you mentioned 4:3 don`t pull out the action really well. I can`t remember how the picture looked, but I think not pretty good cause Sky airs more than one game over the interactive Platform at the same time, right?

DougMan

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMan
I guess 16:9 SD would be a dream for you guys in the UK. Has Sky Sports still the rights for it? I was last year in the UK and watched it over Sky Sports. The on-air Design with the Open TV interactive Platform is really great, but as you mentioned 4:3 don`t pull out the action really well. I can`t remember how the picture looked, but I think not pretty good cause Sky airs more than one game over the interactive Platform at the same time, right?

DougMan
Not sure who has the rights this year - but it would be nice to have seen it in 16:9 - though most US sports stuff seems to end up 4:3 by the time it reaches us. I guess the host broadcast feed of most sporting events is 4:3 SD still - and you have to make special arrangements for 16:9 feeds. (I suspect things like clean feeds, international graphics etc. complicate things a bit)

Sky Sports produce a lot of their domestic coverage in 16:9 SD (though the upcoming Premiership matches will be shot HD and downconverted to 16:9 SD until they get an HD outlet) - though there is still a lot of 4:3 on the Sky Sports channels.

The OpenTV platform is fine - but it is the applications that run on it that are the important thing. Sky only run their apps on OpenTV, but the BBC try to remain platform independent - so that the BBCi services are available (bandwith permitting) on cable, satellite and over-the-air. Cable and satellite are pretty much equal - but OTA Freeview has fewer streams of full-screen video. (2 vs 10)

The BBC don't share bandwith between interactive video streams and mainstream OTA channels on satellite (they have their own transponders), or cable (they have their own space). On Freeview the BBCi video streams are statmuxed with BBC Four/CBeebies, but have a decent share of the video bandwith.

Don't think Sky run their sports channels at too low a rate, and I think that the Sky Sports interactive stuff is on a different transponder - so shouldn't starve the main service that much.

However there are multiple versions of Sky Sports for different outlets - Pub vs Home etc. - but again I don't think they fight each other for bandwith.

Sky Sports can look pretty good - though sometimes I think they use quite poor standards converters on some stuff. (The BBC use S&W Platinum for most of their live 60Hz sport these days AIUI)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.