AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watch CBS in NJ more than other DT stations in NYC (for obvious reasons).

However, a slight rain causes the signal strength to drop rapidly. While I can receive the digital transmissions of Fox and other digital stations that might be on the air, the CBS signal drops more and results in dropouts, freezes, or complete inability of the receivers to grab the signal.

Is CBS broadcasting as a significantly lower ERP, is it a function of the channel's frequency, or just a quirk of my location? I think that Fox broadcasts from the same site but its signal doesn't seem to degrade that much in inclimate weather.

OT - I think that channel 56 is one that will be reclaimed for other uses. Any idea what the new CBS digital channel will be in a few years?

Thanks.

Rick

·
Registered
79 Posts
I watch CBS HD alot and I'm getting 95+ signals with a RS double bow tie. I have not noticed any rain fade or weather related problems with the signal it allways(when I check it) remains strong. My guess is that is a quirk of your location.

·
Registered
114 Posts
cpto

I live pretty close to you,and experience CBS signal strength in the low 90s w/o any problems caused by weather.The only problem I have is airplane traffic.I live near the Essex County Airport,and planes cause brief drop outs.

Pete

·
Registered
540 Posts
cpto... I live in nyc and, generally, don't experience weather-related problems with CBS... However, a few weeks back we had a couple of pretty bad rain storms and I definitely had some signal problems then. Except for those two days, I've had no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a quick check with the DTS. 56 shows 74, 44 shows 70, and 33 shows 88. I think it'll rain this week so I'll see what the differences are.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm using a channelmaster UHF yagi with rotor and amp.

Tonight (Fri) I checked the signals again, since I couldn't get CBS with either the DTS 100 or the set's build-in ATSC receiver. 33 was not broadcasting.

CBS dropped from a measured DTS signal of 74 down to 28. But Fox only dropped from 70 down to 60. Fox came in fine but CBS wouldn't come in at all.

I've noticed that CBS is always the first channel to drop, and often in just midly poor weather. Light snow, light rain or sometime mist will kill it.

Does Bob Ross have any thoughts on this?

Rick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is anyone getting OTA HD in the watchung hills? I live in Warren and I just heard that if you dont have direct line of site wiht the World Trade Center, that I cant get a signal. HELP!!

------------------

We'll burn that bridge when we get to it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.