AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is great news. Can't wait for CBS to announce their schedule. I see on the Notre Dame football schedule that CBS is covering their game against Navy November 9th.

Don

·
Registered
463 Posts
The truck sounds great. Broadcasting both HDTV and SDTV with the same cameras & crews will improve the productions. No more shots of the interviewer/interviewee looking away from the HDTV camera to the SD camera, no more announcers talking about something that's not on the HDTV camera.

And an early tip-off in that article. We may see Bonnie Riatt on Austin City Limits Oct. 5 in HDTV!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Seeing that it takes time to setup the truck and cameras for each game, don't see how they could have a collage game on Saturday and an NFL game on Sunday with the same truck.

Maybe after the college season is over, CBS could finish the NFL year with one game a week.

Don

·
Registered
979 Posts
An interesting new toy, indeed. While the article pointed out 11 included HD cameras in the truck (with capacity for more), there was no mention of integrating SD cameras. Hopefully, this will never happen!! I think the biggest complaint people had about last season's sports broadcasts were the awful upconverts, stretched 4:3 image, etc.

Gerald C

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Great news except that it's only SEC football ;) I'm just kidding. Ouch! Stop kicking me...

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is great news!!! They said that they need to use the truck 161 days of the year. We can all hope! That would mean 3 live events per week. How many HD NFL games has CBS broadcast in the past?

Fletch97

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Bonnie & Clyde also includes the Mongoose Triax system from Ikegami, which converts HD fiber to run on triax, the cable found in most stadiums. The Mongoose system eliminates the time and cost of laying fiber at a stadium for an HD broadcast.
I would think this should be a huge advantage in allowing them to broadcast many more events in HD than they would otherwise be able to. Keep that truck busy! Also, with that many cameras perhaps they will be able to avoid the intermingled HD/SD footage that has plagued some of their broadcasts (like the NCAA basketball final).

It's interesting to see the progression and planning stages over a period of years that eventually will lead up to an actual "broadcast quality" viewing experience for us HD people. Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope the other networks have been paying attention to what CBS has been doing all this time.

ron

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Man... I sure hope they have some dang good, safe truck drivers for this rig. Thanks CBS!!! Maybe they can combine a college game on Saturday with a nearby pro game on Sunday? Are 12 hours enough time to unhook, drive 20 miles and then setup this truck in a new location?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Check under Video in the specs:

Quote:
16 HD upconverters with aspect ratio crop feature available
This sounds like the god-awful CBS mix of HD and zoomed SD during the HD telecasts. If they would only put the SD video in a box like HDNet does.

Al Keown

·
Registered
88 Posts
from the article:
Quote:
If not, then the station will likely create a DVD of the HD version of the event...
Is this technically possible if the show is short enough, or do they have no idea what they're talking about? How much HD info could you even fit on a standard DVD, 20-30 mins? Apologies in advance for the dumb questions.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That DVD is in reference to the Bonnie Raitt appearance on PBS's "Austin City Limits". They are talking about releasing a widescreen DVD (standard issue 480p) if PBS doesn't run the HDTV version.

I quote:
Quote:
The truck had its first payday May 16 when Austin, Texas, PBS station KLRU-TV and the Austin Convention Center used the vehicle for a Bonnie Raitt concert. KLRU plans to air the concert on Oct. 5 on its show "Austin City Limits" and may broadcast it in HD. If not, then the station will likely create a DVD of the HD version of the event, said Dick Peterson, senior VP of national productions and executive producer for the show.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
petew said...

Hopefully CBS will letterbox the SD feed. They could run a banner in the top letterbox bar that says "also available in High Definition", and one in the bottom bar that says "go buy a new HDTV tomorrow"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the best "idea" I have ever read. E-mail this to CBS.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I also like an idea that got tossed around here before. You have a sliding 4:3 protected area. The camera operator frames for what is best for 16:9 and then an overlay is taken from that. This obviously requires computing assistance. For football you would see the offensive backs and as much of the defense as will fit in the "16" area. The 4:3 downmix takes "what is interesting" from that feed. It's kind of a camera within a camera that a 4:3 producer could select. Hockey, like I'm watching now, would show from the boards behind a goalie and out toward/past the blue line as far as "16" takes you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.