AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night, I was at a bar watching the Lions/Patriots game in glorious stretched SD. But when CBS would do network news updates on the hurricane before getting back to the game, the picture would jump to 16:9 letterbox. Last I heard, CBS had no interest in AFD, but that was a while ago. So is CBS looking to move to 16:9 like Fox and ESPN have?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
What's up with Bars/Restaurants and their continued use of stretchovision?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg /forum/post/20888668

Too cheap to invest in the infrastructure required for HD programming. And the programming has to fill the screen!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg
Yeah, I was in a restaurant the other day and saw the typical letterboxed SD CNN stretched to 16:9... Can't an employee look at that, see that it looks horrible, and then press the aspect ratio button a couple of times?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_little
Yeah, I was in a restaurant the other day and saw the typical letterboxed SD CNN stretched to 16:9... Can't an employee look at that, see that it looks horrible, and then press the aspect ratio button a couple of times?
I doubt they:

1. Notice

2. Care

3. Know how to fix it

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60
If I had to work at a bar for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and only had some ugly badly configured HDTV to look at I'd take the time to fix it.
It probably looks exactly the same as their TV at home.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 /forum/post/20890798

If I had to work at a bar for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and only had some ugly badly configured HDTV to look at I'd take the time to fix it.

If they caught you watching TV, you wouldn't have to worry what the AR was!

·
Registered
108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W /forum/post/20886806

The other night, I was at a bar watching the Lions/Patriots game in glorious stretched SD. But when CBS would do network news updates on the hurricane before getting back to the game, the picture would jump to 16:9 letterbox. Last I heard, CBS had no interest in AFD, but that was a while ago. So is CBS looking to move to 16:9 like Fox and ESPN have?

Do you know if they going 16:9 for the other shows and sports?

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_little /forum/post/20890709

You mean to 4:3?

If he does, he'd better hope it's not a plasma, and it doesn't stay that way too awful long.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W /forum/post/20886806

CBS is always 16:9, full screen, with no distortion OTA in our market area whenever a game is on.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot
CBS is always 16:9, full screen, with no distortion OTA in our market area whenever a game is on.
I'm talking about the downconverted SD channel provided by the local cable company.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
A cable company is not allowed to down scale the primary HD channel from a local broadcaster. Some cable companies, such as mine, multicast an analog SD versiion of a local HD channel they also broadcast digitaly.

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford
A cable company is not allowed to down scale the primary HD channel from a local broadcaster. Some cable companies, such as mine, multicast an analog SD versiion of a local HD channel they also broadcast digitaly.
If a station only provides a HD signal, and the cable company supplies that HD signal as a HD signal, the cable company can convert the HD to SD for those without HD displays. Happens all the time.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford
A cable company is not allowed to down scale the primary HD channel from a local broadcaster.
I don't know where you got this notion from, but like foxeng says, it happens all the time. I guarantee you that every single cable system in the country does it.

·
Banned
2,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg
Don't have the $10 for HD. I do get amused at restaurants that spend the money on HDTV only to continue to show SD content. Why bother upgrading the TV. Just keep the old SDTV. Spend $500, $600 perhaps more PER TV. Might have 4 or more TVs but don't have $120 a year for HD programming?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
I believe bar/restaurant/public facilities are charged more for services.
I'm only familiar with DirecTV, but for them it's simply $25 extra per month. Doesn't matter how many receivers or what package you have. It's just $25 more to get HD service.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W
I'm talking about the downconverted SD channel provided by the local cable company.
Ok. And people pay money for that service?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.