AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for something to watch around 9:00pm, and on the program guide on my Dish 6000 for CBSHD it said "Off air", and when I tried to access the channel, it told me that it was a program that I haven't paid to be able to access. From what I could tell from my TVGuide, it was just regular prime-time CBS programming. Looked like "regular" programming resumed at 9:00pm with the news.

Anyone know what was up with that? Where they airing a Mets game or something on CBS in NYC that was blocked out?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Yeah I think it was a Yankees game maybe produced by Y.E.S so it was only for regional broadcast.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
Yeah I think it was a Yankees game maybe produced by Y.E.S so it was only for regional broadcast.
Regular CBS network HD programming was on Expressvu during the period so it probably was a blackout of some type.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I get the National locals since I have a RV. I received the Yankee game on the SD CBS NY channel, but got the off air thing on the HD NY channel.

Why would they(the powers that be) do this?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well naturally first off the game wasnt in HD anyway so it doesnt really matter. But as far as why the national SD feed would have it and not the HD channel I'm presuming is because to qualify for the SD feed you truly must live in a white area (or have an RV exemption) or have a waiver from your local affiliate, whereas the HD feed is pumped into areas simply because it's an HD feed.

In other words, like where I'm at in Denver, even though CBS corporate has issued a blanket waiver to be able to receive the National HD channel, they would never allow me to have the SD channel. So presumably instead of trying to figure out who all qualifies for the HD feed while at the same time not qualifying for the SD feed when sports blackouts might otherwise apply, they just go ahead and shut the HD feed down during a broadcast that should only be regional or otherwise only allowed to be seen by people that dont live near a station that might object to a game being pumped into their market when they might be showing a local game too.

Now while thered be no reason to at least allow the HD channel to come through for those folks that do have a waiver or exemtion for the SD feed to begin with, I dont know. Except to say that as long as you were receiving the SD feed anyway, you werent missing out on anything.

Or, something like that. ;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for verifying my suspicions. The blackout on the HD feed, which is open to all O&O CBS markets while the SD feed is only for locals who qualify makes perfect sense. I must have inhaled a few too many fumes from the gas grill to not have thought of that myself :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.