AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting here watching the games and the edge enhancement is SOOOO bad it looks like actual ghosting on a analog broadcast! It seems to be mostly on their 50 yard line camera.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Yep, they still haven't fixed the problem with the high 50 camera. It still has colored halos on the right side of all silhouettes. Not as pronounced as two weeks ago, but more than last week.

The bug where they show the score, quarter, time, and yards to go, seems to be a lot sharper than previously. Are they getting better with the graphics?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I see red outlines on all figures. The graphics box is further up on the screen than usual and the tip top is cut off (not a real problem.) Edge enhancement all over the place. Today looks very poor.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I don't think it's edge enhancement as it is only visible on the right side of the subjects, and it has a reddish-orange color. It looks like the same optical problem that the high 50 camera had two weeks ago, only less pronounced.

You can also see it on field goals, along the goalposts when shot from the end zone.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hpierce
The graphics box is further up on the screen than usual and the tip top is cut off
Not on my WCBS-DT OTA feed. It's perfectly centered in the corner, and nothing is cut off. The bug does look a lot sharper than previous weeks, almost as if it's not upconverted. All other graphics do not look as good.

If they can do it with the bug, why don't they do it with the rest of the graphics? They still look upconverted to me.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz

The bug where they show the score, quarter, time, and yards to go, seems to be a lot sharper than previously. Are they getting better with the graphics?
Yes, it is much sharper. In previous games the bug was upconverted from SD. In this game it is being generated at full HD resolution.

Here is a cropped image for comparison.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does it seem to anyone else that the jaggies or pixelation occurs mostly on high-action shots? It seems that anytime after a run when they are clearing 6-8 guys out of the huddle, that is when the worst picture occurs. Also when they go to shots of the cheerleaders, the pixelation occurs whenever they move their pom-poms rapidly on the screen? Is everyone seeing this or is it just my cable connection?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
CBS has its wheels spinning in the mud with the college football. do they just not listen to us or what?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar
CBS has its wheels spinning in the mud with the college football. do they just not listen to us or what?
Yeah, I can hear it now in the truck.

"Wow, what a game. OK guys, let's go home and see what ADebar thinks about it."

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by videoholic

Yeah, I can hear it now in the truck.

"Wow, what a game. OK guys, let's go home and see what ADebar thinks about it."
please only post flames to the mods or the person you want to flame.

·
Registered
497 Posts
During the game, KAET Phoenix was carrying the PBS loop. It just happened to be the segment of Georgia vs. Auburn. The taped picture on PBS was so much better than the live picture on CBS it was amazing. The previous HD outings on CBS were so good. What's happened?

Al Keown

·
Registered
68 Posts
To all the pioneers at CBS,

***MANY THANKS*** for Saturday's vastly improved score bug! It looked terrific. MUCH better than in the Florida/Georgia game! MANY THANKS!!!

Two suggestions for additional improvements:

1) DON'T STRETCH 4:3 AFTER OPENING TITLES

Horizontal stretch of 4:3 looks terrible. Blimp shot and standard def slo-mo look particularly bad. Many people are complaining about this, particularly the blimp shot. Please run 4:3 in original aspect with simple solid color side mattes.

2) IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, TRY USING BETTER LENSES

The HD pictures have an "over-enhanced" look to them, yet still don't look as sharp as HD sports images elsewhere, including the football demos on PBS. The over-enhancement seems to make pixelation problems worse, too. Something that looks like orange chromatic aberration can also be seen frequently, especially near the sides and corners of the screen. Many people are noticing these things. It really looks like the glass on these cameras might be failing to live up to its responsibilities. Any chance of trying out some better lenses...or cameras?

MANY THANKS for the HD football, CBS and Samsung. It's a huge improvement in television and that's why we care so much about what you are doing.

Many thanks, indeed.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar

please only post flames to the mods or the person you want to flame.
Hmmm, I thought I did...

On another note:

I thought it looked pretty darn good myself. If you compare it to the SD version it's just great. I think most of the people on here don't realize that it is still a tv. It's like you want the people to come out of the screen and play in your living room.

The people who don't have HD right now couldn't care less about edge enhancement, etc... If you don't have one yet then you don't even know what the heck it is. The image looked great people. Just sit back and enjoy a game for once.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Sorry, but it DIDN'T look great. CBS themselves have done a much better job in the past. Most of last year's NFL playoffs and the first couple of weeks of this year's College Football were top notch. The quality has been declining significantly ever since then, and it is a disservice to us and to CBS not to say so.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
videoholic: in PM only.

i love it when new people come on here acting like they own the place....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.