AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only seen Montekay's center channel which is huge. I was just wondering how does someone choose drivers for such a design?

Don Keels CBT used, I think, eighteen 3.5's and 72 tweeters. If using shading does that mean you still need pay close attention not to overdrive the 0db bank of drivers?

I know my SLA's are nothing like these but I know my little JVC 3x5's sound pretty good when playing down to 50hz at moderate to moderately low volumes. I turn them up enough to flex the 3x5's but not to much.

And has anyone made any CBTs that didn't cost a LOT of money? Say around $700/pr.

I have many other questions but I will wait to hear back from others first.

·
Registered
786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm /forum/post/19561355

I have only seen Montekay's center channel which is huge. I was just wondering how does someone choose drivers for such a design?

Don Keels CBT used, I think, eighteen 3.5's and 72 tweeters. If using shading does that mean you still need pay close attention not to overdrive the 0db bank of drivers?

I know my SLA's are nothing like these but I know my little JVC 3x5's sound pretty good when playing down to 50hz at moderate to moderately low volumes. I turn them up enough to flex the 3x5's but not to much.

And has anyone made any CBTs that didn't cost a LOT of money? Say around $700/pr.

I have many other questions but I will wait to hear back from others first.

I've listened to a CBT using 2" drivers and it was very good but of course needs a subwoofer. Something like that would fit your budget.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I wont be building anything like the CBT until I can fully understand how to make one. I just now am starting to understand the Ewave builds and now these CBT are making an interest for me.

Don seem to be able to find lots of parts speakers for his build and I think I would try the same if I could. He used I believe computer spears in the Apple computers and I cant remember where the tweeters came from. Maybe one of those small ipod MP3 speakers.??

I have looked at varying 3" and 4" replacement speakers here:
http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp...T&SUBCATID=621

But not sure what these would sound like or if they would work. But after reading about that Don used the Apple computer speakers for his prototype I guess they could work. Not sure how I could model this though with with out T/S parameters. I would still have to find a suitable tweeter to go with these 4" or other driver.

These are the small drivers I found on PE and these seem to all need a sub that plays up to close to 150hz or more with the 2" drivers. It appears the 3" or 3.5" would allow me to have the sub around 120hz like my SLA's.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not completely set on where I buy the drivers. Just looking for something around the $6-7 from overseas and maybe $10 locally.

These might work also but I still need to work out how to even build the curve.
https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8988

I like these also but still have to see about shipping and sims. And these seem very reasonable for the money
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-370

I dont know how low Keels CBT goes but I was thinking I would atleast want 120hz. I would hope for closer to 90-100hz and then cross over to 120 if proves best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.