Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

What is this CC (color Correction ?) Filter that everyone seems no talk about regarding improved black levels for the Sony VW 10HT ?

Anyone tried this and noticed any improvements ?

Where can you find this filter ?

Thanks, CEDRIC

·
Registered
356 Posts
Steve Smallcombe has developed a spreadsheet for maximizing the contrast and black level of the 10ht. The idea is to build a detector using a photoresistor and multimeter. By using the color filters that come with Avia a profile is made at different IRE levels and the gain and bias settings are adjusted to maximize the contrast and black levels while maintaining the correct color temp.

The 10ht's bulb doesn't produce as much red as green and blue and the CC filter acts to attenuate the green and blue while allowing all the red through. This further increases the black level while maintaining/increasing the contrast.

Steve's web site explains it all better than I can so go here to get more information.

I'm in the process of setting my 10HT up with the filter, my contrast ratio was 150:1 at the start and is now hovering around the 480:1 mark with the filter on, but not recalibrated. I haven't done any critical viewing yet but the improvement is very obvious.

Here's a screen shot of the spreadsheet http://members.tripod.co.uk/ianjwils...preadsheet.jpg

Ian

[This message has been edited by Ian Wilson (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
356 Posts
The difference in this case is that the filter is part of a package that maintains the correct color balance - whilst significantly improving black levels. The spreadsheet in fact recommends the type of filter for the 10ht - CC20R, CC30R or CC40R depending on the individual projector. It is an objective rather than subjective process that produces measurable results.

Ian

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
A bit more general background about "CC" filters.

"CC" stands for "color correction". These filters are made by Kodak, Tiffin and others for photography. Kodak makes some inexpensive gelatin filters.

The filters come in various colors and strengths; there is a coding scheme. For example, CC05M is a very light magenta; CC10R is a bit stronger red.

People have found that using e.g. a CC10M (my favorite for my Infocus LP400) absorbs the excess blue and green, moves the reds toward red and the yellows toward yellow.

There are quite a few posts about this with various projectors.

The kind of bulb is a factor here. Another consideration is the age of the bulb, since the color balance of many bulbs change as they age.

At the end of the day, this is a personal consideration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.