AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These days companies seem to be doing ok until they're not ok then suddenly they're gone.

Does anyone know how Fry's is doing? I've heard nothing one way or the other about them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm sure Fry's is doing fine.

First off, they are not as sprawling as Circuit City.

Second they have a huge inventory and variety of stuff. They sell everything from kitchen appliances down to individual resistors. I woudn't be surprised to actually see their business pick up as people start cutting back and begin to have more interest in repairing electronics rather than just throwing them away and buying new ones. You would be amazed at how often a five cent resistor rendors a several hundred dollar device completely useless, and even more amazing is how people for the past 10+ years have just accepted that and purchased new electronics.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've been shopping more and more at Frys the last year. I could go to about 5 Best Buys and about 3 Circuit Cities before I even get to the only Frys in Chicagoland. Frys, Micro Center, Tiger Direct been getting more of my money then BB or CC in the last year or so.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofar /forum/post/15577558

I'm sure Fry's is doing fine...

I hope you are right. I have found in the past that retailers always remain very tight-lipped about their financial condition, even right to the bitter end. You don't know anything until they announce cutbacks or insolvency!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's JUST what I mean: Business is always "great" until the day they announce bankruptcy. I hope that's not in the future for Fry's cuz they have everything and at great prices that are often competitive with those online, which CC and BB almost never are.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I don't get where you guys are saying business is always great until they announce bankruptcy or liquidation.

In the case of CC this isn't something new by any stretch of the imagination. This has been talked about over and over for a very long time, even when I first joined this forum which has been a few years. They've consistently been under financial distress and it's been a steady decline. To most I think it's been a matter of when, not if, for several years. It's really no surprise.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15577522

Maybe we can consolidate all the CC/Fry's/Best Buy financial threads into one so we can discuss technology.

Meh, it's not that bad. Given the CC chaos, ppl are obviously gonna wanna talk about it. Doesn't really prevent the tech and tv discussions from going forward.

It'll blow over soon, and then things will return to whatever passes for normal here.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/15577522

Maybe we can consolidate all the CC/Fry's/Best Buy financial threads into one so we can discuss technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15577965

Meh, it's not that bad. Given the CC chaos, ppl are obviously gonna wanna talk about it. Doesn't really prevent the tech and tv discussions from going forward.

It'll blow over soon, and then things will return to whatever passes for normal here.

yeah, it'll blow over -- and then we can back to that real hard core technology stuff -- like a poll on what color tv set you like!

TVbc

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/15577999

yeah, it'll blow over -- and then we can back to that real hard core technology stuff -- like a poll on what color tv set you like!

LOL! Too true.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As a supplier to Fry's, I can tell you they are NOT doing ok.

In fact, our bank insisted we get COD on deliveries to them as they will no longer finance any invoices.

This has been like this for 6 months. I wouldn't be surprised to see them topple next

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/15577999

TVbc

Ouch! Unfortunately we are beset by many nonsense threads and polls which just pushes the technology ones to the bottom of the sea. Interesting thing is that many of us have been here for years and have never started a thread, but we have people here for 4 weeks that have started 42 threads that have nothing to do with flat screen technology. They just like the attention.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It's all about $$$$$$.

Do you know how much cost to produce $2000 LCD-PLASMA TV in CHINA ?

Just $300 and they are selling them with profit $1700.

We arn't stupid anymore.

Prices here are AMERICANS, salaries for MEXICANS.

That's why people doesn't spend anymore, they are sending money to another countries because you can't live in this country with $15 in a hour.

But OK. wana keep sallaries cheap like $15 ? then prices will and MUST go down 3-4

times more.

And CC is just beginning, we will see soon another ones folowing very soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.