AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am building a Media room presently. Right now the room below is in framing staging. I am planning running a 5.1.2 Atmos surround setup. I currently Have a JBL Studio speaker setup. I will use the Studio 230s for rear surround and studio 210s for atmos ceiling speakers (probably overkill but i already own them) with the Studio 520 for center. I will need to purchase studio JBL 590s tower speakers for fronts. Mississippi Man helped me about 7 years ago with my last silver fire DIY screen and I plan to do the same setup with the new silver fire mix. I will pain directly on sanded drywall. The room will be pretty well light controlled. Projector screen will be on the left wall when you enter the room. See the picture below with my notes for the room and my thoughts.

My questions are:
1) What projector do you recommend? (I researched and am leaning toward the Optima UHD50x: I want to game on this so need low input lag but want a high picture quality and HDR capability)
2)Speaker placement recommendations and Is my speakers i have currently still considered a good quality? I am able to easily run wires to any location right now.
3)what version of silver fire should I go with? I assume silver fire with 1.5 ounces of colorant added given the room will be relatively light controlled?

Any help from Mississippi Man would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey guys I am building a Media room presently. Right now the room below is in framing staging. I am planning running a 5.1.2 Atmos surround setup. I currently Have a JBL Studio speaker setup. I will use the Studio 230s for rear surround and studio 210s for atmos ceiling speakers (probably overkill but i already own them) with the Studio 520 for center. I will need to purchase studio JBL 590s tower speakers for fronts. Mississippi Man helped me about 7 years ago with my last silver fire DIY screen and I plan to do the same setup with the new silver fire mix. I will pain directly on sanded drywall. The room will be pretty well light controlled. Projector screen will be on the left wall when you enter the room. See the picture below with my notes for the room and my thoughts.

My questions are:
1) What projector do you recommend? (I researched and am leaning toward the Optima UHD50x: I want to game on this so need low input lag but want a high picture quality and HDR capability)
2)Speaker placement recommendations and Is my speakers i have currently still considered a good quality? I am able to easily run wires to any location right now.
3)what version of silver fire should I go with? I assume silver fire with 1.5 ounces of colorant added given the room will be relatively light controlled?

Not much help on #1 or #3 , but I still see people raving about the 590's, so IMHO it would be pointless to change those out unless you just have to try out something new :)

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,463 Posts

OK...I'm yur Huckleberry.

I'm really glad your coming on in the Framing stage.....lot's of potential becomes possible that way.

The JBL 590's are nice units...especially if you get them for a deal. If not...there are even better choices for the Mains to consider at the list price of the 590-s. But I suppose since the Center will be exposed,having a matched system does count for something extra.

Give me the skinny on the following queries...........;

Room dimensions?
Seating Distance?
Proposed or desired Screen size?.

Any Restrictions as far as Throw distance requirements?
Proposed Room Colors (Ceiling - Walls - Trim) ?

I just noticed you had an attachment with some notes, so if any of the above "Qs" are answered, omit the appropriate response.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Sorry for the repeat post was installing the app on my phone.
Atmos is much better with four speakers. If it isn't in the budget right now I would at least run the speaker wires for all four right now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Atmos is much better with four speakers. If it isn't in the budget right now I would at least run the speaker wires for all four right now.

I could go ahead and do atmos with 4 speakers but would probably just buy 4 ceiling flush mount speakers for it. I bought some Polk RC80i speakers for the back patio. I saw they got great reviews and are budget friendly. Would these pair well with the Studio JBLs I have? Also what would the recommended speaker placement be with the room above?

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
I could go ahead and do atmos with 4 speakers but would probably just buy 4 ceiling flush mount speakers for it. I bought some Polk RC80i speakers for the back patio. I saw they got great reviews and are budget friendly. Would these pair well with the Studio JBLs I have? Also what would the recommended speaker placement be with the room above?
https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide/

I do not know the timbre of the Polk speakers you mentioned but I have found that matching the horizontal speakers for panning effects is important but less so for the overhead speakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK...I'm yur Huckleberry.

I'm really glad your coming on in the Framing stage.....lot's of potential becomes possible that way.

The JBL 590's are nice units...especially if you get them for a deal. If not...there are even better choices for the Mains to consider at the list price of the 590-s. But I suppose since the Center will be exposed,having a matched system does count for something extra.

Give me the skinny on the following queries...........;

Room dimensions?
Seating Distance?

I just noticed you had an attachment with some notes, so if any of the above "Qs" are answered, omit the appropriate response.
Hey thank MississippiMan....again haha 7 years later.

Room dimensions?
In the picture above I have most the major measurements. The ceiling is boxed up to a 12' ceiling height from 10' on the edges. (that way a fan can be there without blocking the projector) The box starts two foot from the side walls.
I am planning on starting the bottom of the projector screen about 32" off the ground (I am mounting a 10' beam of solid red oak I saw milled at 24" off the ground for a mantle to hold speakers)

Seating Distance?
Gonna be a little short. Couch is oversized. Id say total distance of 14 ish feet.

Would like 110" if possible. With my seating distance would get me close to THX recommended screen size. Im ok with a little smaller though.

I can mount projector on the ceiling on the lower trim level. So within two feet of the side wall. So throw distance between 15' and 13' roughly.

Plan to go dark or whatever is recommended. Likely wall paneling over sheetrock 3/4 of the side wall height. I will paint the projector screen on sheetrock or get a piece of sintra plastic. whichever is recommended.

Speakers:
Plan to add studio JBL 590s once the go on sale to match my center. I have the matching JBL bookshelves that i was gonna mount for rears. I also have a set of JBL studio surrounds that I would use for atmos. If 5.1.4 is recommended I could go with flush mount ceiling speakers. Using my existing speakers would just be easier on the budget.

Thank you again man!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not know the timbre of the Polk speakers you mentioned but I have found that matching the horizontal speakers for panning effects is important but less so for the overhead speakers.

gotcha. thank you for the link. Yeah my horizontal would match my fronts. the ceiling speakers would be the only difference.

·
Registered
595 Posts
literally just saw this and bought them. they must have just went on sale. Thank you!!
Went on sale a few days ago, but you never know how long these sales last. Back in January(?) there was a very aggressive timer placed on a sale for the 530s. But after the timer ran out, they stayed on sale for almost a week. Other times, the deal only lasts a few days. Best that you pulled the trigger when you did!

The Studio 5 thread is a great resource for people looking at the line. There's almost always someone that jumps in to notify everyone of when the sales drop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts