AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Denon AVR-1910, and that receiver has issues with Dolby Digital Plus in that sounds can be very lispy. However, this is not the case with regular Dolby Digital. When I first got the Chromecast, I was able to go into the settings and turn off DD+ and only have Dolby Digital activated, and I would get 5.1. Now, however, I can't seem to get surround unless DD+ is active. Does anyone know how to remedy this? I'd get a new receiver, but I'm waiting for more offerings that have (functional) VRR as I'm expecting to not be buying another unit for likely 7-10 years.

Just an FYI that I have PS4 that works perfectly, but it takes forever for that thing to boot up so I would prefer to use the Chromecast if able.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
No streaming service sends out DD, only DD+ or 2-ch stereo. You will need high end devices like 2019 Shield or Apple TV to transcode DD+ to DD. CCwGTV or anything in this price range just can't do it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I currently have a Denon AVR-1910, and that receiver has issues with Dolby Digital Plus in that sounds can be very lispy. However, this is not the case with regular Dolby Digital. When I first got the Chromecast, I was able to go into the settings and turn off DD+ and only have Dolby Digital activated, and I would get 5.1. Now, however, I can't seem to get surround unless DD+ is active. Does anyone know how to remedy this? I'd get a new receiver, but I'm waiting for more offerings that have (functional) VRR as I'm expecting to not be buying another unit for likely 7-10 years.

Just an FYI that I have PS4 that works perfectly, but it takes forever for that thing to boot up so I would prefer to use the Chromecast if able.
Thats interesting, since Google specifically does not spec the CCWGTV as having a Dolby decoder (necessary for transcoding DD+ to DD), and its contary to the many folks complaining about lack of DD5.1 output.

Which apps were you getting DD from?

No streaming service sends out DD, only DD+ or 2-ch stereo. You will need high end devices like 2019 Shield or Apple TV to transcode DD+ to DD. CCwGTV or anything in this price range just can't do it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Actually, HBO Max, Apple TV/TV+, Paramount+, and The Roku Channel all support native DD5.1 input streams (though not necessarily enabled for all platforms, such as as the GCCWGTV).

Both the FS4K (and even the FS3G) and the TS4K have Dolby decoders (and transcode DD+ to DD):

1) The FS4K's Dolby decoder works very well for all apps enabling DD+ 5.1 input streams and transcoding to DD 5.1 (for those apps that dont have native DD5.1 support).

2) The TS4K's Dolby decoder is broken: it auto-enables DD+5.1 to DD transcoding (when it detects a DD connected device) for all audio, UI or apps, without enabling DD+5.1 input streams for apps (for those apps lacking native DD5.1 input streams), and it stays activated until a reboot.

Regardless, either can be had for $35-40, though the FS4K or the FS3G are by far the preferred devices for DD+5.1 to DD5.1 transcoding.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
HBO Max only sends out DD+ or 2.0 stereo on CCwGTV, no DD.
Actually of the 4 services I mentioned that have native DD5.1 input stream support, HBO Max is (as of today, 5/18) the only one that supports it on the GCCWGTV (the rest are not DD5.1-enabled yet for the GCCWGTV - or not officially available yet in the case of The Roku Channel).

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
I did the test right before I posted using the method OP mentioned, there is no DD 5.1 when I disable DD+ on CCwGTV settings. IIRC, HBO Max does have its own way to detect audio capabilities and it does not quite work right when you use the manual audio selection in settings. Also, I remember the latest update on CCwGTV caused manual audio format selection quite useless on many different apps.

I did another test just now on a different setup of mine using a different Android TV device and that setup is DD only, no DD+ support. HBO Max is outputting DD on that setup using automatic surround sound setting.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I did the test right before I posted using the method OP mentioned, there is no DD 5.1 when I disable DD+ on CCwGTV settings. IIRC, HBO Max does have its own way to detect audio capabilities and it does not quite work right when you use the manual audio selection in settings. Also, I remember the latest update on CCwGTV caused manual audio format selection quite useless on many different apps.

I did another test just now on a different setup of mine using a different Android TV device and that setup is DD only, no DD+ support. HBO Max is outputting DD on that setup using automatic surround sound setting.
I have several DD-only devices (TVs/AVRs) I use to test DD input/output for streaming devices in both auto (HDMI EDID etc) and manual DD configuration modes, because as you discovered they are (often) not equivalent.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
Unfotunately, OP want to use manual DD configuration to work around this AVR problem. And we don't know which app he is complaining about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts