AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a question that has been pestering me...

I currently have my entire CD catalog encoded in Apple Lossless format on my mac. Thus, the CD and the Lossless file are exactly the same.

BUT, how do I get the same quality from those files as I do when I play them back through my CD/Blu Ray player.

To be clearer: My CD/Blu Ray player is connected via RCA's to my my Sony ES amp and my Mac is connected via a mini stereo/RCA to my Sony ES. The blu ray sounds better--much better. So, I beleive it is either the wires or the pre amp in the mac.

My question: How do I get the best sound from the files on my Mac to my stereo?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Don't use the analog audio output on your Mac. Get a USB audio device. Or an Airport Express.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using an airport express... sounds like crap. Perhaps I need one with optical out (do they all have it?). If so, my amp accepts optical in... what kind of cable would I need?

Much thanks.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

yes, they all do... the output port is both digital and analog... it automagically knows what to do depending on what you plug into it...

edit: here is the cable that you need

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutcrunch /forum/post/19609836

Thanks Chris!!

BTW, is there a big difference between going (via TOS) from the Mac vs. going through Airport?

you are welcome...

what chris says below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/19610024

As long as you're using digital SPDIF on both, it should be the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.