AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just had my trusty Adcom 5 cd changer die, had it since 1994, it's served me well.

I know no one is buying cds or carousels anymore but I've become fond of the ability to play 5 factory cds at a time on random while I go about my day. Yes, I could shuffle off of my ipod but the sound quality of files, even ones I've ripped, isn't there. I could and do play single cds off my Panasonic Blu-Ray too.

I have an Adcom GFA-6000 amp
Denon AVR 3313CI used as a pre-amp
B&W Matrix 805

Not earthshaking gear but pretty good and accurate. I'd like a decent to very good quality cd player with the ability to carousel 5 cds, if such a thing exists. Something in line with the quality of what other equipment I currently own?

Don't worry about budget, I'll decide later what is too much or not. I'll let the marketplace decide how much I need to spend.

Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
The modern carousel is a playlist. Rip the CD's to a hard drive and put together some playlists. You can use the optical drive in your computer as a player and the hard drive, if you like.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
A CD carousel—I wanted one of the big Pioneer 300 disc monsters back in the 90s, but never got one. I used a Sony 5 disc one for many years; they still make one that looks like probably the same internals (link). I used it for a good dozen years before it started jamming on me. That's when I ripped all my CDs (ap. 800 at the time) to a file server, and I haven't looked back.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
I use to have an Adcom carousel as well back in the day and it sounded amazing from what I recall. It looks like you'll have to get used gear. I would look long and hard at the Anthom tube with the bank system. I believe they have six slots for CD's.

Good luck finding it.
DJoel

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I love my carousel (Rotel). I even kept my Yamaha carousel that the Rotel replaced in case the Rotel dies some day. And I still buy CDs. I guess there are still a few of us dinosaurs out there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to push this in another direction but I still buy some CDs, primarily from bands that put out high quality recordings or even more important, bands that I respect.

Let me clarify, I tend to respect bands that show the same to their fan base, control their concert prices, let their fan clubs in first.

Pearl Jam for instance, could charge easily double what they do for tickets, Foo Fighters could do the same too. I'll buy their CDs, others I rip from the library.

I may go the route of the hard drive storage, somehow it's easier to just load 5 CDs and hit play. I store music I don't have on cd on my phone and plug that into my receiver at times when I want something I haven't burned or I want a large variety of music.

What do you guys use to rip your files so you get high quality sound, does Apple Lossless suffice in your opinion?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Not to push this in another direction but I still buy some CDs, primarily from bands that put out high quality recordings or even more important, bands that I respect.

Let me clarify, I tend to respect bands that show the same to their fan base, control their concert prices, let their fan clubs in first.

Pearl Jam for instance, could charge easily double what they do for tickets, Foo Fighters could do the same too. I'll buy their CDs, others I rip from the library.

I may go the route of the hard drive storage, somehow it's easier to just load 5 CDs and hit play. I store music I don't have on cd on my phone and plug that into my receiver at times when I want something I haven't burned or I want a large variety of music.

What do you guys use to rip your files so you get high quality sound, does Apple Lossless suffice in your opinion?
You can continue to buy CD's and rip them to your hard drive. There are many ways to handle the rip. Apple Lossless will sound identical to the CD as will many other formats.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The modern carousel is a playlist. Rip the CD's to a hard drive and put together some playlists. You can use the optical drive in your computer as a player and the hard drive, if you like.
Hi...

I've been checking site and looking for a 'sticky' on discussion about best process (software for ripping, media serving softward, etc.) for taking a CD collection to a computer/file server...

Please suggest, if you can, and what forum would be where these issues are most often discussed...

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Hi...

I've been checking site and looking for a 'sticky' on discussion about best process (software for ripping, media serving softward, etc.) for taking a CD collection to a computer/file server...

Please suggest, if you can, and what forum would be where these issues are most often discussed...

Thank you in advance.
Lots of discussion on Home Theater PCs here.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I still have 2 Sony 400 CD changers in my HT closet - memories of the past. I've ripped my entire collection to FLAC (about 30K songs worth). Thank gawd for dbPoweramp batch ripper and my ancient Sony CD/DVD unit that's controllable via Firewire from my CD!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
OP-

I owned the 1st Sony ES carosel circa 1988. I got 15 years out of it.
If you enjoy this vintage, seek out eBay. :)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Still have my Sony 50-disc carousel that I could likely be talked out of. Complete with original remote even. ;)

·
Registered
643 Posts
I used to have a pair of Sony 400 disc changers hooked up to Slink-e using CDJ. Ah those wre the days. Nowadays I use CD's ripped to a NAS (lossless files) and iTunes. Sometimes I use playlists, sometimes I play whole albums. One thing I miss about the old way is that the "Up Next" playlist feature does not work nearly was well for DJ, "oh wow! I want to hear this next!" sort of playlist building as CDJ did. Overall, the new way is better, but it would be nice if you could easily build playlists on the fly using iTunes.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Now-a-days, I just use Pandora. ;)

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I used to have a pair of Sony 400 disc changers hooked up to Slink-e using CDJ. Ah those wre the days. Nowadays I use CD's ripped to a NAS (lossless files) and iTunes. Sometimes I use playlists, sometimes I play whole albums. One thing I miss about the old way is that the "Up Next" playlist feature does not work nearly was well for DJ, "oh wow! I want to hear this next!" sort of playlist building as CDJ did. Overall, the new way is better, but it would be nice if you could easily build playlists on the fly using iTunes.
I abhor iTunes. JRiver does exactly what you want to do, plus it plays FLAC.

(PS - I'm another Slink-e/CDJ vet - at one time had 5 CD players hooked up!)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hi,

Just had my trusty Adcom 5 cd changer die, had it since 1994, it's served me well.

I know no one is buying cds or carousels anymore but I've become fond of the ability to play 5 factory cds at a time on random while I go about my day. Yes, I could shuffle off of my ipod but the sound quality of files, even ones I've ripped, isn't there. I could and do play single cds off my Panasonic Blu-Ray too.

I have an Adcom GFA-6000 amp
Denon AVR 3313CI used as a pre-amp
B&W Matrix 805

Not earthshaking gear but pretty good and accurate. I'd like a decent to very good quality cd player with the ability to carousel 5 cds, if such a thing exists. Something in line with the quality of what other equipment I currently own? .... Don't worry about budget, I'll decide later what is too much or not. I'll let the marketplace decide how much I need to spend......Suggestions? Thanks
You probably will want something used like a Sony CDP-CA7ES or a Marantz CC-67, there are many other excellent audiophile grade players produced before the year 2005 when the market started disappearing. There are some low-cost new 5-disc carousels sold by Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon and Sony but I'm not sure how well they measure up to the Adcom. I currently have a single-disc Adcom GCD-575 connected to my main audio system but I also own the Marantz and Sony ES players mentioned earlier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts