AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I felt was the closest to appropriately correct section...

I've heard TDK cd-r/rw's are supposed to last longer than regular cd's due to special coatings used in the manufacturing process.

Then I saw Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Ultradisc DC-R's & wondered if they are even better?

Some of my cd's are approaching 20 years old, and I'm concerned. Also, I want to only use copies in my cd changers, so I can compile the songs I like off 2 or more discs.

Opinions, please...

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you posted in the wrong forum, but...

Mobile Fidelity gold CD-R's are made by Mitsui/MAM-A from what I've heard. You can buy Mitsui/MAM-A discs for less money. TDK discs can be made by any number of manufacturers and the quality is not always the same.

In my opinion, the best CD-R media in order are:

1. Mitsui/MAM-A -see website at http://www.mitsuicdr.com

2. Ricoh Platinum

3. Taiyo Yuden

Additionally HHB media (in U.S.) is either MAM-A or Ricoh; Mobile Fidelity is MAM-A; Fuji and TDK are *sometimes* Taiyo Yuden if it says they are made in Japan on packaging.

You can also buy Mitsui/MAM-A and Taiyo Yuden thru http://www.american-digital.com/prod...egory.asp?c=18

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozakk
...Some of my cd's are approaching 20 years old, and I'm concerned...
I doubt CD-R/RW existed in 1985; you probably are concerned about your "pressed" CDs. There's nothing to worry about; pressed CDs and DVDs last much longer than burnable CD-Rs and DVD-Rs.

I have CD-Rs from 1998 and 1X DVD-Rs from 2002 that still play fine. Though since the 4x DVD-R specification came out two years ago, DVD-R reliability hasn't been as good, and I'm experiencing more dropouts in newer media.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention that the CD-R's I need are audio only. My Sony CD recorder wont work with data CD-R's.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Click on link above for (FINALLY) Updated Pics!
What link? If you are really just talking about CD-R audio media, then you are really in the wrong forum. Suggest you go to CD Freaks or somewhere like that, you're more likely to get better info elsewhere.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, if it were me I'd use Mitsui/MAM-A discs. These are what the pros use and the most durable discs I know of. They say their discs will survive 200 days in a hot car, and they have a harder coating than any other discs I've seen. They make 74 & 80 min. CD-R Audio discs. Or you can get the Mobile Fidelity discs which would be the same thing with the MoFi logo stamped on them. I don't recall ever seeing Audio discs from Taiyo Yuden or Ricoh, so that narrows down your choices.

http://www.american-digital.com/prod...egory.asp?c=51

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari
What link? If you are really just talking about CD-R audio media, then you are really in the wrong forum. Suggest you go to CD Freaks or somewhere like that, you're more likely to get better info elsewhere.
The link for my HT pics in my SIGNATURE, not part of the POST.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Sorry, didn't catch that NEW HT PICS!!! was a link. Well worth the trip though for those interested...those amps must just peel that wood paneling right off the walls knocking your NASCAR memorabelia off the racks in the process. Didn't see a DVD recorder in there, though. LOL!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari
Sorry, didn't catch that NEW HT PICS!!! was a link. Well worth the trip though for those interested...those amps must just peel that wood paneling right off the walls knocking your NASCAR memorabelia off the racks in the process. Didn't see a DVD recorder in there, though. LOL!

Amps are awesome. Very neutral sounding. Very powerful.

No DVD recorder...not yet! I do have a DVR though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.