AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fooling around with my PS3 music settings the other day, and realized the output freq. was set to 48 KHz. This isn't really ideal for playing music CDs, correct? I went ahead and switched it to the 44.1/88.2/176.4 setting. My receiver will handle 44.1 fine, so I'm in good shape. I'm wondering about the bitmapping setting though. Does this only matter if the PS3 is upsampling? For example, a CD is 44.1, the PS3 is outputting 44.1 and no upsampling is occurring, right? So should I just leave bitmapping off, or is it actually doing something even when output is 44.1?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I don't think it is doing anything to it.

using 176.4 sounds a little fuller. It's not really messing with the signal for that, it's just filling in more info that already exists (not extrapolating).

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/19588200

I don't think it is doing anything to it.

using 176.4 sounds a little fuller. It's not really messing with the signal for that, it's just filling in more info that already exists (not extrapolating).

I'd try 176, but my receiver doesn't support it. It doesn't have full functionality when receiving a 88.2 signal either, so I just stuck with 44.1

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
If you mean the bitshaping options, type 2, type 3, they subtly alter the sound, but have nothing to do the with the output sample rate.

I personally liked the type 3 setting the best, but the effects are pretty small. If you're playing music as background, not really sitting and listening, not something you'd probably notice. Try them and see if they make any difference to you.

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B /forum/post/19598964

If you mean the bitshaping options, type 2, type 3, they subtly alter the sound, but have nothing to do the with the output sample rate.

I personally liked the type 3 setting the best, but the effects are pretty small. If you're playing music as background, not really sitting and listening, not something you'd probably notice. Try them and see if they make any difference to you.

Yep, the bitmapping types are what I'm talking about. I thought I read in the manual that this only works when upsampling. So if I'm playing a CD at 44.1, the PS3 isn't doing any upsampling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts