AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I save all my CD’s as Apple Lossless and also save those as FLAC. My modest 2 channel system uses an Oppo HA-1 Headphone amplifier that also works as a preamp. The HA-1 has limited analog inputs, RCA, XLR, while also supporting USB and digital COAX and fiber.

I currently use the RCA inputs in Home Theater Bypass mode and the XLR for a turntable.

I use an iPod or iPhone to play iTunes and the “The HA-1 passes Apple's "MFi" certification and is compatibile with the latest iPod, iPhone and iPad to be used as the digital audio output accessory of these devices. By tapping directly into the digital audio signal of these devices and converting the audio to analog using the high performance SABRE32Reference DAC, music from your favorite portable device will sound its best.“

Would there be any advantage to play CD’s from the BDP-103?

I very rarely watch TV or movies in the room although I do have a front projector and Denon AVR-4520CI in addition to the HA-1 since I also have a dedicated basement theater with a newer projector plus the family room TV. This is primarily my 2 channel room.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
If you are using the same dac in the HA-1 for turning the digital to analog, no difference. It's hard to tell from your write up if you plan to run digital from the 103 to the HA-1 or analog to the receiver.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Once ripped with DAE faultless, reproduction is identical (using the same DAC and Amplifier). In fact reading from CD can get worse over time as the optical reading may deteriorate over time introducing errors.

Very expensive CD players typically refuse to play them then instead of starting doing interpolations of erroneous samples. A valid reason to use a (very) expensive CD-Player is the excellent DAC typically coming with it, which may be better that the one used for digital reproduction.

So overall the digital lossless copy is the safest bet. You always can conveniently recreate the CD with it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you are using the same dac in the HA-1 for turning the digital to analog, no difference. It's hard to tell from your write up if you plan to run digital from the 103 to the HA-1 or analog to the receiver.
Currently the 103 is only connected to the Denon AVR-4520CI via HDMI. I could also connect analog from the 103 to the HA-1 RCA input but would need to disconnect the FR/FL pre outs I use in Home Theater Bypass mode. I assumed the lossless files would be the same so won’t need to do that except if I want to play my SACD's via the analog RCA out on the 103. Multichannel SACD’s and DVD A’s will require HTB mode regardless.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts