AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here, I've been lurking for a little while. After years of getting by with $80-$100 players, I finally purchased a new player. I got a Yamaha CDC-697(not high end I know) but I think it's much higher than the Technics SL-PD9 that it replaced. That thing skipped like crazy. A known problem with that player from what I've read on the net. I've got it paired with a Yamaha RX-V630 I've had for a few years. I think it sounds much better than the Technics. My question is what is preferred way to hook this player to my receiver? The player has one optical and one analog output. The only "CD player dedicated" ports the receiver has is one digital coax and one analog. It also has optical ports for a CD-R/MD-R. Should I hook the player into the CD-R/MD-R optical ports, or the "dedicated" analog plugs? Also, I have a Technics SH-GE90 digital sound processor that I've had for about 10 years. Should I even bother with it? I'm sure this is a matter of personal preference. Thanks for any advice. My complete setup is as follows:

Panasonic PT-53WX53(waiting til I return to the States to upgrade to HD)

OppO DV-970HD

Yamaha RX-V630

Yamaha CDC-697

Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 100

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Personally, I use analogue. As I prefer the signal quality/sound. I use Zebra Cables interconnects, which thought not cheap (around $60.00), not expensive either. I always used cheap cables, until a friend gave me a pair of quality interconnects to try, and there was a difference. Since then, been upgrading all the cables in my system, little by little.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hate to be wishy-washy, but it probably doesn't matter. A digital connection is tidier (one connection versus two), and the DAC in your receiver is probably just fine.

To be honest, I'd probably use both coonnections, then you'd reserve the right to use digital in or analog in at your whimsy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts