AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to quit listening to compressed music from iTunes and and Amazon's MP3s and decided to listen uncompressed music from Audio CDs. I need to buy a cd player thats under $400. I have the Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver and the Sennheiser HD558 headphones just to play PS3 games, watching movies at night, and to listen to music. I will not use my speakers to listen to music. Please recommend me a well balanced cd player. Also I'm not sure if I should use the analog outputs or the digital output on the new cd player?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Also I'm not sure if I should use the analog outputs or the digital output on the new cd player?

Before you decide on any CD player you should figure this out. If you're connecting analog you have lots of options price-wise, but if you're connecting digitally any cheapo CD player will do.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage /forum/post/20853830

I decided to quit listening to compressed music from iTunes and and Amazon's MP3s and decided to listen uncompressed music from Audio CDs. I need to buy a cd player thats under $400. I have the Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver and the Sennheiser HD558 headphones just to play PS3 games, watching movies at night, and to listen to music. I will not use my speakers to listen to music. Please recommend me a well balanced cd player. Also I'm not sure if I should use the analog outputs or the digital output on the new cd player?

PM me if interested in a Marantz DV8300 please.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 /forum/post/20856188

Before you decide on any CD player you should figure this out. If you're connecting analog you have lots of options price-wise, but if you're connecting digitally any cheapo CD player will do.

Why??? Are you suggesting that, somehow, the internal DAC of the transport connected via analog to the receiver will have any audible sq differences?

Pick a few CD players that have the features and build quality you like and then purhcase the one with the best price secure in the knowledge that there will be no audibe sq differences between them regardless of how you connect them. If somebody tells you that they can hear a difference in sq between DACS, then one of those DAC's is broken or poorly engineered which is not likely.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Why???
Quote:
Are you suggesting that, somehow, the internal DAC of the transport connected via analog to the receiver will have any audible sq differences?
Not at all, as I'm in the same camp as you are regarding DACs/CDPs sounding the same. It was more of an effort to show that you don't need to spend a ton of money on a CDP.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htcritic
Why???

Not at all, as I'm in the same camp as you are regarding DACs/CDPs sounding the same. It was more of an effort to show that you don't need to spend a ton of money on a CDP.
OK. Sorry I misunderstood. I guess that's why I asked!!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage
I decided to quit listening to compressed music from iTunes and and Amazon's MP3s and decided to listen uncompressed music from Audio CDs. I need to buy a cd player thats under $400. I have the Pioneer VSX-1120 receiver and the Sennheiser HD558 headphones just to play PS3 games, watching movies at night, and to listen to music. I will not use my speakers to listen to music. Please recommend me a well balanced cd player.
One way to approach this is to identify a few CD players that are in your price range, and then try to listen to them in the store, at a friend's house, or on 30-day return, etc. Many retail outlets and on-line retailers have the option of 30- or 60-day return. Then pick the one that sounds the best to you (I think a listening session with headphones, which are often quite revealing, is especially helpful), and that has the build quality and other features you like. That way you get to pick what you want and what sounds best to you, as opposed to someone else who may have their own agenda telling you what you should buy, and what makes them happy.

P.S. audioadvisor.com has several players under $400, and offers a 30-day return as I recall, but there are lots of other places also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage
Also I'm not sure if I should use the analog outputs or the digital output on the new cd player?
If you want the CD player to do the conversion, use the analog out. If you want your receiver to do the conversion, use the digital out. Or better yet, try it both ways and decide which one is best for you, i.e., what sounds best, is more convenient, etc.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Onkyo CS5VL... 350'ish new, 300 used on amazon

can't be beat.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater /forum/post/20861875

Why not spend a little more and get a more modern, versatile and future proofed player like the Oppo BDP95 ?

Oppo95
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1311806

Oppo93
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1291855

EDIT:

I had the model numbers and prices mixed up.

Good point, especially if you could use a Bluray player. Or even a used 83 off AudiogoN (there's a listing for a "like new" one for $350).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided that $400 is too much money to buy a cd player, because I will be using the cd player's digital optical output instead of the analog outputs. This morning I ordered the Sony CDP-CE500 from amazon.com and I will use it a transport.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.