AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question and sorry if this has been talked about because I have been looking forever. I just bought some Revel F32's and a yamaha v1800 with ipod dock.

I was thinking about getting a stand a lone cd player or just using my panny s97 for now since I blew my budget on the 32's. question is our Ipod through the doc going to sound as good or close to the CD in the s97? Can it? how so? we just have so much music on our ipod it would make like easy

I know we did not rip the cd onto our computer as mp3 but the larger format?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Depending on what you mean by "the larger format," the iPod could indeed approach or even equal the sound of a CD player. If you rip in WAV, AIFF, or Apple Lossless, it will sound equivalent to CD. If you rip in AAC or MP3, it will depend on the bitrate you used.

If you aren't sure what format you used, go into iTunes, select a track, and choose Get Info under the File menu. It'll tell you the kind of file it is and the bitrate.

·
Banned
772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/12973696

Depending on what you mean by "the larger format," the iPod could indeed approach or even equal the sound of a CD player. If you rip in WAV, AIFF, or Apple Lossless, it will sound equivalent to CD. If you rip in AAC or MP3, it will depend on the bitrate you used.

If you aren't sure what format you used, go into iTunes, select a track, and choose Get Info under the File menu. It'll tell you the kind of file it is and the bitrate.

Are you sure about that? Is the DAC on the iPod comparable to the Panny S97?

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
It seems that the quality of the sound (lossless if you will) is more dependent upon interface considerations than anything else. A while back there was a pretty long thread or two that from time to time dealt with the output 'quality' of the various iPods that are out there. A search may prove useful.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you can wait, I suggest buying the new Wadia 170 iTransport. It is the first product to pull a digital signal from an iPod. So, the iPod is solely a transport and will not use any internal DAC or Amp. It is only $349.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Is the DAC on the iPod comparable to the Panny S97?

Don't ask me. Ask this guy :

Quote:
The iPod's measured behavior is better than many CD playersironic, considering that most of the time it will be used to play MP3 and AAC files, which will not immediately benefit from such good performance. But if you're willing to trade off maximum playing time against the ability to play uncompressed AIFF or WAV files, the iPod will do an excellent job of decoding them. Excellent, cost-effective audio engineering from an unexpected source.John Atkinson

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycicero /forum/post/12973591

I was thinking about getting a stand a lone cd player or just using my panny s97 for now since I blew my budget on the 32's. question is our Ipod through the doc going to sound as good or close to the CD in the s97? Can it? how so? we just have so much music on our ipod it would make like easy

I know we did not rip the cd onto our computer as mp3 but the larger format?

Try it and see what you think. Personally, I don't think the ipods I have listened to sound as good as my favorite MP3 player (everything recorded lossless), which to me indicates that there are differences between MP3 players. And if there audible differences between MP3 players to some of us, that might indicate that not every MP3 player sounds identical to every standalone CD player. I also prefer my standalone CD player to the ipods I have listened to, but others might come to a different conclusion. As I said, if you have a standalone player already and all that music on your ipod, give it a shot and see how they sound to you. There's nothing like a little home experimentation.

P.S. The Yamaha 1800 is a nice unit. I tested one in my setup for awhile and liked it a lot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
iPod

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio1 /forum/post/12988328

Do you care to share what "your" favorite MP3 player is? Just curious, thanks.

The Rio Karma, though I haven't tried any of the newest generation players except the newest generation ipods.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty /forum/post/12979756

Try it and see what you think. Personally, I don't think the ipods I have listened to sound as good as my favorite MP3 player...

P.S. The Yamaha 1800 is a nice unit. I tested one in my setup for awhile and liked it a lot.

Well here is my ranking of the IPOD as a source based on listening in my home.

#1) Wadia Digital 27i DAC, Wadia Digital 21 transport

#2) Wadia Digital 27i DAC, Sony DVD player for transport

#3) Sony PS3, Yamaha RXV-1700 AV Receiver, DAC only

#4) Micromega Micro DAC and Micro Drive

#5) ~$125 Sony DVD player playing CDs

#6) IPOD, IDOCK (RCA outputs) source were CDs (not downloads)

Absolute Sound had a great article, "Do Hard-Disk Drives Sound Better than CDs" (Robert Harley) last month (Dec 2007) regarding the merits of hard drive based music players (no jitter). The Wadia 170 Itransport promises to be the first of its kind to pass actual digital data to an outboard DAC using an IPOD as the source. The signal naturally will not be any better than the original or file storage type chosen by the user.

Sincerely,

Leg one

·
Registered
4,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycicero /forum/post/12973591

question is our Ipod through the doc going to sound as good or close to the CD in the s97? Can it?

It should sound pretty close because the DAC's in the iPods are typically very good. Now the weak link in iPods have often been the quality headphone amp but if you use a dock that largely circumvents that issue.

I agree about waiting for the Wadia solution. That will turn the iPod into a real audiophile transport. With a 160GB iPod, you could a huge collection of your favorite recordings in lossless quality, and use your favorite DAC

·
Registered
748 Posts
Is there a thread on the Wadia iTransport yet on AVS. I have not seen one yet. I have been checking the Wadia site everyday, to get in on the preorder, since I do not have a local dealer. But I would be curious to see if anybody has had any firsthand experience with the iTransport, since it is due out to the public, in March.

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is a preview of the iTransport in the newest issue of Tone Audio Magazine. You can download it free here http://www.tonepublications.com . Tone had it before anyone.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp.Audiophile /forum/post/13242682

There is a preview of the iTransport in the newest issue of Tone Audio Magazine. You can download it free here http://www.tonepublications.com . Tone had it before anyone.

Thanks for the link. It's been awhile since I have been excited for a new product, like the iTransport. Just hope it lives up to the hype.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg One /forum/post/13240725

Well here is my ranking of the IPOD as a source based on listening in my home.

#1) Wadia Digital 27i DAC, Wadia Digital 21 transport

#2) Wadia Digital 27i DAC, Sony DVD player for transport

#3) Sony PS3, Yamaha RXV-1700 AV Receiver, DAC only

#4) Micromega Micro DAC and Micro Drive

#5) ~$125 Sony DVD player playing CDs

#6) IPOD, IDOCK (RCA outputs) source were CDs (not downloads)

Absolute Sound had a great article, "Do Hard-Disk Drives Sound Better than CDs" (Robert Harley) last month (Dec 2007) regarding the merits of hard drive based music players (no jitter). The Wadia 170 Itransport promises to be the first of its kind to pass actual digital data to an outboard DAC using an IPOD as the source. The signal naturally will not be any better than the original or file storage type chosen by the user.

Sincerely,

Leg one

Good post, Leg One! (and quite risky too, to give all that ranking)

So, you think a $125 dvd cd combo player already outperforms an ipod in an idock? First, were you playing lossless? And then, let me say, the quality of that dock doesn't look great. It seems to be worse than the apple one. Have you tried the good docks, like denon or arcam? Those really have RCA gold played outputs. The idock just seems to have a nickel plated 3.5mm output.

Well, so my point is: how does an ipod in a good dock compare to a dedicated cd player? Is it better or worse than cd players of similar price?

Thanks.

(sorry leg one if it sounds as I'm criticising your gear, I guess that idock is great for casual listening but I'm interested in very good sound quality)

·
Registered
333 Posts
To the original poster: how far is your computer from the stereo, and does your soundcard have digital output? Depending on your answer, the solution may be as simple as buying one wire. I run an sp/dif cable from my computer to my stereo and use the computer as a jukebox.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffStickney /forum/post/13939275

To the original poster: how far is your computer from the stereo, and does your soundcard have digital output? Depending on your answer, the solution may be as simple as buying one wire. I run an sp/dif cable from my computer to my stereo and use the computer as a jukebox.

Well, although the receiver has digital input and DAC convertors, it may be argued having them inside the amplifier can cause interference. That's the reason why all-in-one boxes are inherently flawed, isn't it? So, if he really wants good sound quality he'd have to buy a dedicated DAC, which cost quite a lot, or a cd player with digital input to use the cd player DAC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Cambridge Audio 740C and 840C for example are cd players with digital input. Those look like a very good idea since then if you have an ipod you could upgrade the system with the Wadia itransport and do the DAC conversion in the cd player.

·
Registered
128 Posts
IMHO, my 5g IPOD sounds fantastic whether using Grado RS1 direct or using a dock connected to my system. The files are MP3 360. I rarely use the dock because its purpose is for when friends are visiting with their IPODS.

The CA 740c is an excellent player and DAC. I have all media on my PC using a usb-soundcard-digital out to 740c. I can not hear a difference between digital media and cd's.

I think the iTransport will offer little benefit if any at all vs a dock, however at the right price why not?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts