AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just lost my second bulb in my CD555m. The first one ruptured at 200 hrs, and now the second one at 500. Both times it has ruptured so badly that it broke the Lighthouse and filled the projector with glass. The first time they replaced the bulb under warranty, but this time they say its going to cost me $499.00!!! I got elevated to the service manager (Len) who told me that almost all of their customers have bulbs that last right up to the 2000 hours, but said that the problem with the ruptured bulbs that they have had were all due to manufacturing defects in the bulb, but he didn't say that they had done anything to remedy this!

So heres my question: Who else has had this problem? I saw a thread from back in March, where people were having this problem, and I'm curious what your resolutions with BoxLight has been? Have you had to pay the 5 bills to get a bulb with only 500 hours on it replaced?!?! If you've had it replaced at no charge, who have you talked to?

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After my first bulb ruptured I started cleaning my filters about once a week, which works out to about every 100 hours.

I assume when you say "If you shop around a bulb should be around 3oo hours" you mean 300 dollars? ;) Any places you can recommend?

Thanks!

John.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
LP350 bulb rupture prematurely is a known problem. Many members here have reported this problem. It's in the bulb mesh design--it's too fine restricting air flow overheating the bulb over and over with every use. I would search this forum and foward an email containing all these messages to your PJ tech. service guy and demand a new bulb. I think it's shameful that Infocus or in this case Boxlight would not fix this known problem.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
John

The bulb is $312 at Dell site and they have a 20% off sale at their small business site. If you send me an email to [email protected] I will forward you the coupon for 20% off or you can try it directly at this URL:
http://dell1.m0.net/m/s.asp?HB4559732927X1122319X80327X

With coupon the bulb is 249. They list the bulb as out of stock but you can order it and I don't think it will be out of stock very long.

Lenny Eckian

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would also demand a new bulb, especially if you've been cleaning the filters.

This is one of the reasons I don't own the cd555m any longer. Luckily my incidents with bulb explosions were all within 120 days (not to mention I complained loudly each time).

I did make it to about 500 hours with an external cooling fan assembly, but I don't know if that would have helped long-term since I got rid of the projector before it went any further.

-Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll call tomorrow and see if yelling louder helps. I got the feeling today that they know this is a problem but have decided its too expensive to continue warranting it. I think I'll track down a higher level person than the supervisor of tech support. As much as I hate to do it, I may have to make a VP to VP call. After all, the title has to be good for something!

Lenny,

Thanks for the link! I put in an order just so I can have a spare for the next time this happens... Its tough suffering from HT withdrawal. I've spent the last 2 days working on my HTPC control software, but its just so much more rewarding to test it on a 100" screen!

Thanks,

John.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I called back today and yelled louder, but to no avail. In fact, I couldn't even get them to cover shipping on the projector, and they are shipping it back UPS Ground from Washington state to Mass. That's going to add another 3-5 days to the already 7-10 working days that they are going to have it to clean it. This is getting worse and worse! That means a minimum of 2 weeks until I get my projector back!!! (2 Days shipping it out there) + (7 working days = 9 real days) + (3 Days for it to get back). And that's the best case scenario!

They would do a loaner, but for $400 a day!!!

I have to say, I am finding myself less and less impressed with BoxLight tech support.

John.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leckian
If you shop around a bulb should be around 3oo hours. I was curious how often you cleaned your filters. It is recommended that they be cleaned every 200 hours.
Okay folks, what am I missing? I have the LP350 and read the manual (such as it is) front to back and there isn't any mention of a filter that I should clean... Can someone clue me in?

Thanks!

=-Clarke

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you remove the bulb housing, there are fine mesh screens around the bulb. If they get too dirty, the blub doesn't get the proper airflow to keep it cool. My bulb in my LP340 hasn't blown yet, and I really hope it doesn't :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan0751
If you remove the bulb housing, there are fine mesh screens around the bulb. If they get too dirty, the blub doesn't get the proper airflow to keep it cool. My bulb in my LP340 hasn't blown yet, and I really hope it doesn't :(
I'm going to get home tonight, pull the unit down from the ceiling mount and take it apart. I had been doing some construction and I know things got dusty for a while there. I have over 150 hours on the bulb now but haven't cleaned it.... I certainly don't want it to blow...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Removing the bulb housing simple requires popping off the panel on the bottom, and removing the two screws that hold the bulb in place. You can then just pull the housing out (be careful, of course, and make sure it's not hot). This is documented in the manual in the section regarding changing the bulb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mhamel
Just a note - make sure you don't handle the lamp with bare hands. The oils from your skin can cause the glass to rupture when it gets hot.

-Mike
I knew that from my old overhead projector days (seems so long ago) but thanks for the tip anyway!

I wonder what I'll find when I pull the lamp.

Cheers,

=-C

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.