AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have followed the DVDLobby Pro Thread , I've just released another product within the suite called CDLobby Changer.

http://www.webpromotion.com/cinemar/...hangershot.jpg

Like it's sister DVDLobby Pro , it contains all the same great features plus some more. Thumbnails on startup, change background skins on-the-fly using keyboard shortcuts, change the main cd image to lauch either an html page or file (MP3, playlist, video, etc).

You can also use CDLobby Changer to cue up your music CD's in your external CD Changer thanks to the Nirvis Slinke. CDLobby Changer provides instant access to your entire CD Collection through one graphical interface that compliments DVDLobby Pro.

You can learn more by visiting the CDLobby Changer web page, or I'd be happy to answer any questions on this forum.

More features are being worked on such as direct importing of MP3 tags and the ability to cue any song on any CD. This product, like DVDLobby Pro, will evolve over time thanks to the input from members of the AVSForum community.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
This one I was waiting for... You be sure of my registration as soon as I return to Europe...

With audio even more than films you should try to consider a Genre and Artist filter as I will have about 600 APE'ed albums... Too many to look through at 15 or 24 a page...

Would you be interested in working with the guys at Media Jukebox ?? They have a great player that does it all but does not look as pretty as I would like... After some discussion they were working on allowing a client server system so that it was easy to make HTML or XML skins and pass the command to MJ for playback... This was in beta a while ago and shamefully I have not followed it closely... They were responsive to input and as they have a pretty good following in PC audio users and a large user base you may get quite a surge in hits (and registrations) if you are listed in thier 'plug ins' pages...

There is also a Girder GXR for MJ so that if you were to add a set of transport buttons that execute a command you could have the aesthetic appeal of your app over the power of MJ... A winning combo. I believe there is an API within MJ so you could use it for the tagging and track listing elements...

I would be more than happy to work on the GXR for you...

This easily rivals the Ape Jukebox visual impact and with just a couple of added features (simple transport control / track listing / genre and artists filters) would be the best big screen jukebox application I have seen after a fair amount of searching...

·
Registered
602 Posts
The nice thing about Marios software is you can have multiple sessions of it.

Instead of flipping through hundreds of CD's I plan to have the main page in catagories. When you click that catagory you can have your own custom graphic show in the picture frame. WHen you click it you can create a batch to launch another CD Lobby with all the CD covers in that.

The only draw back to this method is the managing the multiple sessions of CD Lobby and the potential of search capability may be haulted due to multiple directories.

Example:

You launch CD Lobby. Your first vision of it contains "catagories" like either A through Z or "Rock" "Classical" etc... When you click that thumb and the main window has it large, you click it to launch the batch that runs the CD Lobby from another location that is all configured with the albums of that catagory. Also, if you click on "Rock" on the first page, it takes you to your artists, then when you select your artists you can have yet another session of CD lobby run showing only albums from that artist. Tp go back just click "Q".

Say you have a directory of your artist, just put a copy of CD Lobby in that directory, and in any and all directorys that would contain multiple albums from an artist. So you can have custom background skins for each band and you own themed menu.

This is what I have been tinkering with using DVD Lobby as a CD launcher already.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Phat Phreddy,

I know mario is working on implementing searchability, and filters and such to DVD Lobby. Once the code is written up for it, he can transport it to CD Lobby with some minor changes.

I think CD Lobby has some good potential. I'll have to check out more on the functionality of it before I can add my .02 :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Even thought it is easy to setup and control DVD's,when it comes to cd's we will need a lot more functions on the interface screen to make it work,like search from a-z,sort by gerne or style,and once a cover is selected once then show all the tracks available for that album on another screen so they can be selected to create playlist.Again here is some ( www.neils.net )sample screen shots from neils.net for an interface that was made to work with slinke.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Looks good. A couple of questions. Does it support .ape and .apl files? Does it support gapless playback?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
At this stage its not a player at all... purely a browser for you collection... Girder integration of course can have you fire up your player of choice from the image link...

Getting an app to remain minimized and adding transport buttons would be a lot less work using tools already out there and one of the mainstream players (especially one with a client / server plug in) than coding a whole audio player...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I played around with CDLobby a little last night and am impressed. I have a few reactions/thoughts/suggestions:

1. Just a nit -- the album frame and thumbnails appear to be located a little low on the screen -- perhaps they could be moved up slightly to be more centered.

2. Has anyone found an effcient way to quickly locate and download album cover art? I have nearly 100 CDs stored as wavs in subdirectories on my file server (\\\\home\\Shared Music\\ARTIST NAME\\ALBUM NAME). So far, I've been manually searching Amazon to cover art, but there must be a better way. Perhaps some sort CDDB query? Can retreiving the cover art be done during the initial rip?

3. I realized late in the game that it would be useful to have m3u playlists for each album that I rip. EAC can be set to do this automatically. Using batch files in CD Lobby, you can launch your player of choice and play an album in order using the m3u files.

4. I haven't tried it yet, but will Larry's DVDLobby Menu program work for CD Lobby? That would give us an automated way to create the batch files the accompany each CD cover.

5. Shawn's idea of running multiple instances, each dedicated to a specific genre, is a good one. But before I go down that path, is Mario planning on adding similar functionality to the app? Should I just wait for a later version?

6. Phat's idea of minimizing the CDLobby app when a CD is played is good, but is there a hot key that would bring it back into focus? I could imagine needing to select a different album or playlist after one has completed playing. Or could it be set to resume after a period of time, perhaps as a screen saver? Ideally, the player itself would minimize after it started .. .

7. A neat application of CDLobby would be to design your own cover art for compilation playlists that you've created. Remember when you used to make tapes for your GF or SO and decorated the tape box? It is easy to create a playlist of selected songs in Winamp (or any other player), so why not develop a cool CD cover for it with a photo or original artwork? Then you could put it into CDLobby and launch your custom playlist when you click on it . . ..

·
Registered
388 Posts
K-Wood,

The current beta version of Tag & Rename is an excellent application that also gives you the ability to execute a query for the current album to All Music Guide ( http://www.allmusicguide.com ). It will then give you the option to return the information and apply it to all MP3's that make up the album (including cover art) -- it's the best MP3 Tagging application I've found!

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

Heroildo

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Heroildo:

Thanks for the tip. But Tag & Rename doesn't seem to support wav files, and my entire CD collection is stored in uncompressed wav format. Is there any way to make Tag & Rename work with wavs?

- Ken

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ken,

Sorry about that, I didn't pay close enough attention to your message ... to the best of my knowledge, T&R only works with MP3 files. You might want to drop the developer an email and see what he thinks about adding that feature ... doesn't seem like it would be too difficult.

H

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PP,

I'll have to check out Media Jukebox, I'm not familiar with it at this point. I'm very open to tying CDLobby into existing systems if it's possible or at least as a plugin. Once I roll out the latest version of DVDLobby Pro I can begin to focus on more advanced features of CDLobby Changer.

Genre, sorting, etc. are all on my list of things to add to the interface. Just a matter of time. :)

Shawn,

I like your creativity in managing your collection. It will obviously become easier in the future. Hold tight - it may take sometime to implement all the features everyone is asking for.

jlufas,

Any chance of downscaling those images you posted in the thread. They are pretty large and loading slowly. It takes a while to pull up the first page of the thread on my cable connection. :)

K-wood,

I opted to keep the next and back buttons in the same place as they are in DVDLobby Pro for consistancy. It may appear off center now, but I may be using the area above the CD Cover for other things, like the name of the song playing, VU Meter, more buttons, etc. If I decide I don't need to use that area, I'll eventually center the CD Cover to the page.

You could use Larry's program to create the batch files for the CD's; however, the batch files now need to be named with a "cd" prefix instead of "dvd". If someone wants to modify Larry's Menu Maker for CDLobby I'm sure it would be an easy fix to adapt it since his code is freely availabe from his website. In the meantime just use a batch renamer to add the "cd" prefix instead of "dvd".

Like I mentioned above, it will probably be a while before additional features are ready for release. So I would say setup your system the way you want today.

I like your idea of creating "Party Mix", "Cocktail Mix", etc. covers and then assigning them calling up your playlist created. It wouldn't be hard to find CD Cover singles either which would also be cool for parties.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Hell I dont know what happened there...

I just checked a test message and it went through fine but I have 4 PM's and did not recieve any auto notification so I must have been missing some !!!!

Will drop you another note by email...

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
phat phreddy,

Have you resolved your email problems?

dvdmonster,

As I mentioned, CDLobby Changer was rolled out very early for the many users who were utilizing DVDLobby Pro's features to catalog their CD's. Also, batch files are still necessary for those that have external CD Changers. So that feature will continue to exist in future versions.

Streaming sounds will be incorporated in future versions also unless I find an easier way to load the mp3's using external players hidden in the background.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Mario, I dont know you tell me :) !!! I dont think so, a few test messages went through without bouncing but I am getting nothing from the AVS PM notifications so possibly still an issue...

I have only just returned to Euro and combination of empty house / high workload backlog / visiting friends not seen recently / etc is keeping me very busy... May take until after the W/E until life becomes a little more normal...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The functionality of THIS program, called EJukebox, is exactly what I'm hoping for in a media player frontend:
  • Integration with Winamp
  • Develops "smart" rankings based on songs played
  • Organizes by albums, artists, genres, etc.
  • Easy navigation without having to access Winamp
  • Custom play mode based on user-defined rules

BUT, like most (ALL, except for MusicMatch Jukebox AFAIK) database and playlist utilities, it appears to rely on embedded data in IDv3 tags in .mp3 files. This is a major problem for me (and others) that store our music as .wav files. AND, it's GUI is far inferior to Mario's CDLobby GUI.

If anyone knows of a music database utility that does NOT rely (at least exclusively) on IDv3 tags, please let me know!

And, Mario, you might take a look at what's been done with EJukebox to get some ideas for CDLobby!

- Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.