AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a post in the OpenDTV Forum, Conumer Electronics Association president Gary Shapiro explained why they are not releasing numbers for sales of ATSC STBs and HDTV sets with built-in ATSC receivers. He says

"...we cannot release integrated TV or tuner numbers separately until and unless we have a sufficient number of companies reporting their sales of these products so that one or two companies sales statistics are not transparent. This is consistent with our statistical reporting rules that have been around for decades. As the market is getting more competitive, we may be able to release separate numbers within months."

I can appreciate their position. Up until a few months ago, STB sales statistics would be made up almost entirely of RCA DTC100 sales and for competitive reasons, I'm sure RCA wants to keep that private. I do feel, though, that now with Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, etc. they should be able to release the numbers very soon.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
But, they want US to "release separate programming" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif !

(Maybe we can do that for them, "within months".)

------------------

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV/-DT.

"Not a REAL Engineer, but I play one in TV"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.