1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JULY BOASTS STRONGEST DTV SALES OF THE YEAR

------------------------------------------------------------------------

News Summary

Manufacturer-to-dealer sales of digital television (DTV) monitors and sets (monitors with integrated tuners) totaled 117,851 units with $222 million in revenue during July, according to figures released today by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA).

Company Contact

CEA

2500 Wilson Boulevard

Arlington,

VA 22201

Tel: 703 907 7669

Fax: 703 907 7690

Url: http://www.ce.org

PR Contact

Lisa Fasold

CEA

2500 Wilson Boulevard

Arlington, VA 22201

Tel: 703 907 7669

Fax: 703 907 7690

[email protected]

Arlington, VA, 9/7/01 -- Manufacturer-to-dealer sales of digital television (DTV) monitors and sets (monitors with integrated tuners) totaled 117,851 units with $222 million in revenue during July, according to figures released today by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). The unit sales represent a 165 percent increase over the same period in 2000.

These figures mark the most successful month for DTV sales so far this year, with a 30 percent increase over June unit sales and a 39 percent increase over June dollar sales.

"Consumers are embracing the digital experience, which offers crystal clear pictures and enveloping sound," said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of CEA. "Manufacturers continue to introduce a wide variety of new DTV products including HDTV sets retailing for under $2,000.

Indeed, despite the economic turbulence, more and more consumers are turning on DTV, reinforcing our contention that consumer electronics provide maximum value. We expect to see strong numbers month after month as more consumers experience DTV."

Consumer dollar investment in DTV is projected to reach nearly $5 billion by the end of this year. CEA projects sales of DTV sets and monitors to continue their rapid growth in the coming years, with unit sales of 1.1 million this year, 2.1 million in 2002, 4 million in 2003, 5.4 million in 2004, 8 million in 2005 and 10.5 million in 2006.

About CEA:

The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) represents more than 650 U.S. companies involved in the design, development, manufacturing and distribution of audio, video, mobile electronics, wireless and landline communications, information technology, multimedia and

accessory products, as well as related services that are sold through consumer channels. Combined, CEA's members account for more than $70 billion in annual sales. CEA's resources are available online at www.CE.org, the definitive source for information about the consumer electronics industry.

CEA also sponsors and manages the International CES - Your Source for Workstyle and Lifestyle TechnologySM. All profits from CES are reinvested into industry services, including technical training and education, industry promotion, engineering standards development, market research and legislative advocacy.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I am glad to see that the HD market is growin. This will force more TV stations to start broadcasting in high def. Thank for the news.

------------------

Juan

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Thanks for the info, Rich. It's always good to hear from "The Department of Things Just Keep Getting Better & Better".

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great news - along with the ABC and CBS HDTV announcements and the HDNet debut!

Now let me get this straight - the MPAA wants to obsolete $5 Billion worth of investment in analog component input HDTV sets? Well, at least I've got some "protection" with the Mitsubishi "Promise" for my WS-65905...

------------------

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|>

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|\\

Â*Â*Â*Â*/|Â*\\

Â*Â*Â*/Â*|__\\

Â*Â*/__|____

Â*Â*\\_ ___ _ \\

Jon Gauthier

"If I'm not sailing I'd rather be watching sailing in HD!" - Me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.