AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone talked about this one? I did a search but didn't come up with anything. I just watched it and, though its not for everyone by any means (is any John Waters film for everyone?), it had its moments. I'm not a huge fan of his stuff, though I like Pecker a lot. This one was very tongue in cheek, poking fun at both big bucks film making and low budget film making. Don't expect the answers to life's questions or anything, but if you appreciate off the beaten path low budget films, its worth a watch.

Cecil and his crew are guerilla independent film makers, who kidnap a big star and force her to be in their movie, eventually winner her over to their cause (one of the in jokes is that one of the crew's mother is played by Patty Hearst.) One of the small ('had to be there' probably) moments is when they raid a local theater that's playing "Patch Adams: The Director's Cut". I found that to be hilarious for whatever reason. Everyone in the theater is sobbing and their faces are soaked.

Melanie Griffith plays the kidnapped star. It also has Alicia Witt who I kind of have a thing for, despite not normally being much on redheads (I really liked her part in a section of The Sopranos.)

Its not a super stellar performer in either video or audio, but more than good enough for this type of raucous silliness.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I saw it too, but I got nausea, vomiting, post-nasal drip, migrane headache, and some other assorted insundry side-effects. I've seen it twice and I can't get too entusiastic about it. I like the idea of it but somehow I don't like how they did it. Best wishes!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Not a good effort, in my opinion. The humor and satire was extremely forced and obvious. I've seen some funny John Waters movies, but this wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I consider this one of John Waters' worst films. Forced & contrived are understatements. It just wasn't funny. I can't image being forced to see it twice.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
:) Wouldn't the actual incorrect, correct grammar be worstest?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I had a feeling someone would comment on "worst". But, yes, I would rather sit through Pink Flamingos or Desperate Living before having to watch Cecil B Demented.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.