AVS Forum banner

4961 - 4980 of 5017 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Updated Jan. 14, 11:28 a.m. - We have granted DIRECTV a 26-hour extension in the hopes of avoiding a disruption. This means DIRECTV will still be offered until 2 p.m. Thursday, January 15. We will continue to negotiate in good faith and work towards an agreement. KCRG-TV9 (as well as KCRG 9.2 and KCRG 9.3) are always available for FREE over the air via antenna, as well as through other cable and satellite providers.
Read more at http://www.kcrg.com/directv#otjp4ejecDssWJLx.99

·
Registered
377 Posts
So with the biggest forecasted snowstorm of the last couple of years coming Sat night & Sunday (9"+ S & E of the CR airport (KFXA 1/30 9pm newscast)), hopefully KWWL will figure out that Super Bowl fans don't want to see a game on a squeezed up distorted screen with a overly large 4 line drag with advertising.
Hint: We all know if we want to see who/what's delayed/closed will be shown on a sub channel.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just noticed I'm not getting any of the 32-X channels on any of my TVs.

The wind might have tweeked the antenna though, anyone else noticed any issues?

(First noticed it yesterday)

12-X are still coming in fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You have got to me kidding me.

DirecTV dumps KCRG for over three months, and it finally comes back this past weekend. Now, only two days later, DirecTV dumps KWWL! These retransmission agreement disputes are getting ridiculous!

Sorry, just had to vent. :mad:

·
Registered
377 Posts
You have got to me kidding me.

DirecTV dumps KCRG for over three months, and it finally comes back this past weekend. Now, only two days later, DirecTV dumps KWWL! These retransmission agreement disputes are getting ridiculous!

Sorry, just had to vent. :mad:
The "local broadcast channel surcharge" Mediacom charges in Iowa City has been $4.67/month.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is anyone having over-the-air reception problems with KCRG? It seems since they temporarily went off the air a few weeks ago, my reception is poor now that they are back. I called and left a message with the station engineer but never heard anything back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, maybe my antenna moved. Or there may be a problem with my Channel Master DVR+, although the other stations come in fine. I've replaced the coax with new coax and nothing changed.
As windy as it has been the past few days- that sounds like a good bet. Otherwise maybe try a line amp. Menard's has an RCA 10db amp that would maybe do the trick.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As windy as it has been the past few days- that sounds like a good bet. Otherwise maybe try a line amp. Menard's has an RCA 10db amp that would maybe do the trick.
Mystery solved. I found a bad splitter. Once I replaced it strength/quality returned to 100/100.

Thanks for the help. Without it I would have continued to think something was wrong with KCRG as the other local stations were coming in fine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
CW Network Coming To KWWL Cedar Rapids

Quincy Media-owned NBC affiliate KWWL Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque, Iowa (DMA 90) is adding The CW to its 7.2 subchannel beginning Sept. 12.

The CW will replace ThisTV and will be available free over the air via antenna as well as on most cable and satellite distributors in high definition.

The changes come as a result of an agreement signed in 2015 between CW and KWWL Television Inc. KWWL VP-GM Jim McKernan said: “The CW is an excellent addition to our already successful portfolio of entertainment and information offerings from NBC, MeTV and KWWL.com. This is a station we look forward to developing into a legitimate alternative for both viewers and Eastern Iowa businesses.”

In addition to CW network and Saturday morning programming, KWWL plans to air a variety of shows such as The Real, Crimewatch Daily, Dish Nation, Access Hollywood, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, The Verdict and Judge Alex as well as many others.

KWWL will continue to air NBC on ch. 7.1, as well as offering Memorable Entertainment Television (aka MeTV) on ch. 7.3.
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/93889/cw-network-coming-to-kwwl-cedar-rapids

Now what happens to KWKB?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone received KCRG-TV over-the-air in the Dubuque area?

An acquaintance of mine is located at Dickeyville, Wisconsin, a small town located 11 miles northeast of Dubuque. He wants to receive KCRG-TV so he can watch Chicago baseball games which are carried on sub-channel 9-2. The TV station's tower near Walker, Iowa is 68 miles away from his home. KCRG-TV transmits on 'VHF High' Channel 9, and I know that VHF stations can be harder to receive than UHF. Does an outdoor antenna exist capable of receiving a 'VHF High' signals from 68 miles away?

I have heard of UHF/VHF combo antennas that can receive TV stations up to 80 miles, but I don't know if that refers to UHF only or both UHF and VHF.

My next question: Why don't the major TV stations from Cedar Rapids and Waterloo have low-power translators at Dubuque? I know that Dubuque is part of the 'Cedar Rapids - Waterloo - Iowa City - Dubuque' DMA, but Dubuque is much further away from the other 3 cities. Apparently a few years ago KWWL had a construction permit for a Dubuque translator, that never went on the air.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It is possible, but no guarantee. I'd recommend that your acquaintance look up his address at www.tvfool.com to see what it says for his exact location. If he's in a valley or behind a ridge, it may not be possible.

In my experience, VHF signals actually do travel farther - when you're using a rooftop antenna. (It's indoor antennas that don't do so well with VHF.)

It will have to be a large outdoor VHF or VHF/UHF antenna. Don't use one of the newer compact designs because they're primarily designed for UHF - he needs one with the long rods like the antennas that have been around since the 50s. Don't depend on the mileage claims because they are based on reception over a flat surface - it really depends on topography and the station's power (fortunately, KCRG is full power).

As for why there are no translators in Dubuque, it's mainly because cable/satellite penetration in the Dubuque area is so high that stations would gain virtually nothing by adding a transmitter there. I think I recall hearing that Dubuque had one of the first cable systems in the country. There's also the fact that Dubuque was separate market until the 80s, with KDUB as the only station. (And technically, Dickeyville and Grant County are in the Madison market.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
KCRG in SW Wisconsin

I live near Hempstead High and get the KCRG stations OTA on a 50' tower using a Winegard HD8200U, with matching pre-amp. The signal is solid, no pix. Your friend in Dickeyville will be OK if they live on the ridge, but, once you get into the valley- all is lost. As for an antenna; any deep fringe VHF should work. You might find a used one on Craig's list, or drive around the area look for antennas on houses with a satellite dish also mounted, most likely they no longer use the antenna and you can get it for nothing just for taking it down. Plus, you also know this antenna picked up KCRG if the antenna is pointed Southwest. :)Good luck, if you have any further questions just post.

Tom

·
Registered
377 Posts
The "local broadcast channel surcharge" Mediacom charges in Iowa City has been $4.67/month.
FYI: As an update, Mediacom's local channel surcharge has been $7.61/month for the past several months.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Monday CW programming moves from KWKB 20.1 to KWWL-DT2 7.2

Looking at online guide listings it looks like basically its a swap with KWKB gaining ThisTV on 20.1 and KWWL gaining syndicated shows and CW on 7.2

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently dropped cable and am looking to get some equipment to receive OTA channels. I have tried a few budget "flat" style indoor antennas and was unable to receive a single channel. After doing a signal analysis on tvfool I have figured out why.

All the transmission towers near me are located SW of my home. The problem is I have a 30'x40' concrete building on the SW corner of my lot that is probably blocking all the signals in my livingroom where my TV is located.

Last week I purchased a Silicondust HDHomerun Connect and mounted the antenna to a south facing window. I can now get a few UHF channels but they are barley watchable.

I am thinking about mounting an antenna to the roof of the building but I'm not sure what antenna would be best suited for my needs.

Here are my signal analysis results from TVfool.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3ddfafb61e1ca4b8

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
215 Posts
An outdoor antenna is definitely going to make a big difference, even if it's not a large one. I'd look for an antenna that has poles that stick out for the VHF elements. A lot of the newer compact units claim to work great for both VHF and UHF, but in my experience, you just can't get good VHF reception without the poles. At 25 miles, you shouldn't need a huge antenna... a small to medium unit should be fine.

4961 - 4980 of 5017 Posts