AVS Forum banner

4981 - 5000 of 5017 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
From my home most of the major stations are located 20 to 26 miles away at 335 to 346 degrees. KFXA (FOX 28) is 20 miles away at 282 degrees. I put up an outdoor antenna with a wide field of view, pointing it in the 335 degree direction in the hopes of getting enough signal from the KFXA. For the most part it has worked. Occasionally I get some minor pixelation on the KFXA stations, but usually it's just fine. I have a Channel Master DVR+ for the tuner and I don't think it's the greatest tuner. I bought a multipath filter I'm going to try the next time it starts pixelating and see if that helps.

When I put up the antenna I was also hoping to get lucky and receive KWKB (20) on the back side of the antenna. KWKB is located near West Branch, 28 miles away at 140 degrees which is pretty close to 180 degrees from the main group of stations near Walker. Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky this time. I couldn't reliably get KWKB. It was interesting though that I could receive a good signal from KIIN (PBS 12) which is located near KWKB. But that didn't excite me because I already could get KRIN (PBS 32) in the northerly direction where the other major stations are located.

Now to my recent surprise. I've had the outdoor antenna up for a couple of years. I had never been able to get KWKB (20) reliably. But, I have noticed within the last week or so that KWKB now comes in great. I don't know if they increased the power of the station or if it's just atmospheric changes. My DVR+ reports signal strength of the station of about 67 percent and signal quality at a rock solid 100%. Those numbers provide a high quality picture with no dropouts or pixelation.

The antenna I installed was the Channel Master CM4228HD Extremetenna 80.

·
Registered
7 Posts
North Liberty, IA (Iowa City): Looking for an attic antenna

It's time to dump cable. I'm aiming for an attic antenna (single story) to get the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS). Anything beyond the major networks is a bonus. From the TV Fool report, do I need to get 2 directional antennas to get the channels to the northwest and then to the east southeast? Can I get by with a single omnidirectional? What's my best route?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de6a43c6a8bbf3e

Attachments

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
It's time to dump cable. I'm aiming for an attic antenna (single story) to get the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS). Anything beyond the major networks is a bonus. From the TV Fool report, do I need to get 2 directional antennas to get the channels to the northwest and then to the east southeast? Can I get by with a single omnidirectional? What's my best route?

It wouldn't surprise me if an attic antenna won't receive all the stations, especially KWWL on RF 7 because it is a 2 edge path. The first two stations in the list are extremely strong and may be received no matter where you point an antenna if attic induced multipath is not too severe.

You need VHF and UHF so I'd try a Winegard HD7694P with a AD Juice preamp pointed at 340 degrees. No guarantees on this though.

You're just asking for trouble with any sort of an omni antenna in an attic.

Life would be much easier with an outdoor antenna.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
That's exactly what I was saying before FF crashed on me.....although I would recommend much lower cost PCT CM-3410 Distribution Amplifier with about same excellent Overload and NF as the expensive A-D Juice Preamp....and if desired, it ALSO accepts DC Power up the Coax with additional cost Power Insertion Module:
https://www.amazon.com/PCT-BI-DIRECTIONAL-AMPLIFIER-BOOSTER-PASSIVE/dp/B000F28DP2
https://www.amazon.com/PCT-Inserter-MPI-1G-Remote-Amplifers/dp/B005Y12UH6

BTW: IF strong Ch25 and Ch12 do NOT come in reliably, then a second Antenna COULD be added later, such as RCA ANT-751 [or equivalent] using a simple 2-Way Splitter.....or IF found to be NEEDED for lower combining Loss [esp. ESE Channels], some Single Channel Insertion Filters for Ch12 and/or Ch25 could be added at a later date.

I would NOT recommend a 4-Bay Bowtie (or worse a A-D C2V) with the Reflector removed...probably NOT enough Gain to overcome 13-20 dB Attic Loss....and lots more Multipath ingress.

And there is NO WAY a low-Gain (1-2 dBi) Omni will work...esp. in the Attic.

By 2020 (or EARLIER) fol. Channel Changes are expected (per rabbitears.info]:
43 → 14 KFXB-TV (Religious)
47 → 22 KPXR-TV (ION)
So as far as we know NOW, there won't be a need to get a Lo-VHF Antenna [Ch4 is a duplicate CBS]....

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
IF strong Ch25 and Ch12 do NOT come in reliably
FYI, KIIN-12 and KRIN-35 run the exact same programming, so if KRIN is received, KIIN is unnecessary.

KWKB runs just This TV and Light TV at this time, so it's a matter of how important those networks are to the OP here.

- Trip

Reactions: DrDon

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Iowa Public TV creates new station, splits up Create and Kids
http://www.iptv.org/about/iptv-news/new-channel-lineup-faqs

from Northpine.com
Iowa Public Television has launched a fourth broadcast channel, essentially splitting up a hybrid channel that had carried children's programming during the evening and the Create network during other hours. On Dec. 1, the former "IPTV Learns" on DT2 became PBS Kids, with Create moving to a new DT4 channel fulltime. World Channel remains on DT3. The network reaches the entire state with nine full-power transmitters and a handful of translators. IPTV said Mediacom customers should be able to find the new PBS Kids on channel 794 by Dec. 6.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Hey guys, I need some advice, I'm trying to really lock down my reception and get things rock solid, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I'm theoretically in a pretty good location:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=90383f72ca0dd2

The trouble I'm having is getting KGAN and KWWL reliably at the same time.

Right now I've got an ancient Radio Shack antenna, I believe it's one of these:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/VU-120XR.html

I'm wondering if it's too directional, this weekend I was messing with it, and just a couple degrees different in aiming had a dramatic affect. I could get KWWL or KCRG locked, but not both at the same time. Should I be looking at something like a 4-bay bowtie? Though I realize that would likely be problematic for KWWL since it's VHF.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Curious - does anyone know what happened at the KGAN / KRIN tower that's kept them off the air since Tuesday (three days now).

I guess the days are gone where backup facilities exist. Granted KGAN is running CBS programming on 28.2, but still. So long as the major metro area cable systems are getting a feed, those of use relying on OTA are considered the minority.

A lot of folks with antennas are confused and think its a problem on their end.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Curious - does anyone know what happened at the KGAN / KRIN tower that's kept them off the air since Tuesday (three days now).

I guess the days are gone where backup facilities exist. Granted KGAN is running CBS programming on 28.2, but still. So long as the major metro area cable systems are getting a feed, those of use relying on OTA are considered the minority.

A lot of folks with antennas are confused and think its a problem on their end.
from northpine.com
Sinclair CBS affiliate KGAN/2.1 (Cedar Rapids) and Iowa Public Television station KRIN/32.1 (Waterloo) are both off the air after a lightning strike earlier this week. Both stations transmit from a tower near Walker, midway between Cedar Rapids and Waterloo, and a KGAN reporter says in a Facebook post that a thunderstorm damaged KGAN's feedline in at least two places. KGAN's primary CBS channel is temporarily being carried on channel 28.2 of KFXA (Cedar Rapids), displacing Charge. The tower, owned by Gray TV, is also home to Gray's KCRG-TV/9.1 (Cedar Rapids) and Iowa Public Radio's KUNI/90.9 (Cedar Falls), but there's no indication of KCRG or KUNI being affected.
and a pic of the line that was damaged
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=264277967633648&id=196573557737423

and from IPTV
http://www.iptv.org/about/iptv-news/tower-outage-southwest-iowa
KRIN in the Cedar Rapids and Waterloo area is temporarily off the air due to antenna repair. We are working to restore service in both of these areas as soon as possible and regret any inconvenience.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks much! I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that towers get hit frequently with little or no damage. Perhaps this was a massive strike.

Sounds like KCRG and KUNI got lucky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone heard of a specific date yet for when KPXR will switch from RF channel 47 to 22? All I've been able to find regarding this phase of the repack is a "no later than" deadline for all channels to switch, but it could be assumed KPXR could switch at any time before then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[B]Dubuque, IA: Looking for antenna setup advice[/B]

I've recently moved within Dubuque and am now at higher elevation so looking into options to receive OTA.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=9038498e8cc122

Right now, ideal result would be able to pull in the 5 Madison Network channels (UHF) to get all the major networks and at least KWWL (Ch 7) and KCRG (Ch 9) from Cedar Rapids to get true local news any others would be bonus. I have been able to tune these channels in a DIY antenna, but looking for a more robust setup.

TVFR is at 25ft AGL estimating to be on top of 2nd story roof. From running the TVFR several times it looks like more height would help the Cedar Rapids networks but also reduce the NM on some of the Madison networks. Any UHF or VHF-Hi antennas you would suggest in particular? Being the current channel designations, all the Cedar Rapids stations are VHF-Hi and the Madison all UHF. Worth a try to get separate VHF and UHF antennas pointed in the respective directions and combine them with a preamp or would I better off with a rotator to have more options if more channel designation changes?

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've recently moved within Dubuque and am now at higher elevation so looking into options to receive OTA.

Right now, ideal result would be able to pull in the 5 Madison Network channels (UHF) to get all the major networks and at least KWWL (Ch 7) and KCRG (Ch 9) from Cedar Rapids to get true local news any others would be bonus. I have been able to tune these channels in a DIY antenna, but looking for a more robust setup.

TVFR is at 25ft AGL estimating to be on top of 2nd story roof. From running the TVFR several times it looks like more height would help the Cedar Rapids networks but also reduce the NM on some of the Madison networks. Any UHF or VHF-Hi antennas you would suggest in particular? Being the current channel designations, all the Cedar Rapids stations are VHF-Hi and the Madison all UHF. Worth a try to get separate VHF and UHF antennas pointed in the respective directions and combine them with a preamp or would I better off with a rotator to have more options if more channel designation changes?
When you say you've been able to tune into the channels already, do you mean both Madison and Cedar Rapids or just KWWL/KCRG? 70 miles is pushing it for a UHF DTV signal. (Not that it's impossible, but I'd delay making any major investments unless you're sure they're going to come in.)

If it were me, I'd get a large VHF/UHF antenna and experiment with it for a while to see which signals are really reliable. In a location with so many faraway signals, you'll notice that reception conditions will vary from day to day. Then if you do find you can get some stations from both cities, you could consider investing in a second antenna or a rotor (but keep in mind a rotor isn't a good option if you're going to be using a DVR, or if more than one TV is being used at a time.)

You should be able to get ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS from the Cedar Rapids/Waterloo stations, but you're right that Madison is your only option for FOX because the Cedar Rapids FOX affiliate's tower is much farther away from Dubuque.

One of the Madison UHF stations (WISC-CBS) will be moving to VHF as part of the spectrum auction, so a UHF antenna won't be a permanent solution for all Madison stations. At your distance, you probably stand a better chance of getting a reliable signal from WISC once they move back to VHF.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you say you've been able to tune into the channels already, do you mean both Madison and Cedar Rapids or just KWWL/KCRG? 70 miles is pushing it for a UHF DTV signal. (Not that it's impossible, but I'd delay making any major investments unless you're sure they're going to come in.)

If it were me, I'd get a large VHF/UHF antenna and experiment with it for a while to see which signals are really reliable. In a location with so many faraway signals, you'll notice that reception conditions will vary from day to day. Then if you do find you can get some stations from both cities, you could consider investing in a second antenna or a rotor (but keep in mind a rotor isn't a good option if you're going to be using a DVR, or if more than one TV is being used at a time.)

You should be able to get ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS from the Cedar Rapids/Waterloo stations, but you're right that Madison is your only option for FOX because the Cedar Rapids FOX affiliate's tower is much farther away from Dubuque.

One of the Madison UHF stations (WISC-CBS) will be moving to VHF as part of the spectrum auction, so a UHF antenna won't be a permanent solution for all Madison stations. At your distance, you probably stand a better chance of getting a reliable signal from WISC once they move back to VHF.
I have been able to watch channels from both Madison and Cedar Rapids. To get the Madison stations, have been using a very basic DIY Single Gray-Hoverman in a 2nd story bedroom near the exterior wall facing 57deg (mag) that when connected to a Radio Shack UHF/VHF/FM amplifier (Model: 15-1113B scavenged from my parents unused OTA setup, FM Trap at IN setting) with 5ft section of RG6 but then from the amplifier with ~50ft of RG59 to a LG 43UF6400 tv on the 1st floor am able to tune in all the Madison networks, however reception is fairly inconsistent as you eluded to, but definitely watchable with clear picture for periods of time. WKOW and WHA definitely were more consistent than the others. It surprisingly is even able to tune in KWWL with this setup but the quality is poor. I had plans of moving it to the attic but from research here sounds like that would be a step backwards.

Looking to improve/replace this setup. I ended up at NoCable.org which recommended the Marathon antenna from FreeSignalTV. So I have received this antenna and have installed it on the existing DirectTV satellite mount leftover from the previous owners on the from porch roof (about the same height as being on the 2nd story floor level) on the SW corner of the house. I started off pointing it at 260deg (mag) to pick up the stronger channels from Cedar Rapids. With it hooked up to the existing RG6 (40ft) from the DirectTV to the basement going through a grounding block then through the power inserter then another 10ft of RG6 to the TV on the first floor, it tunes in channels KGAN, KWWL, KCRG, and KFXB. KGAN is however rarely watchable. When the front face is pointed at 57deg at the same location it only picked up KWWL, KCRG, and KFXB, none of the Madison networks.

So I have done some experimenting with location and antenna type and wondering if it is really worth further investment into a more quality setup. Just started a month free trial of Youtube TV and it covers the Cedar Rapids/Waterloo major networks and much more:D, but the DSL infrastructure to my house is at the bare minimum to utilize it:( so that is my fall back right now instead of getting a cable hookup installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im in Cascade, Iowa and having issues picking up KPXR ION 48 is anyone in Dubuque, Monticello, Anamosa, or Cedar Rapids. Having issues with this TV channel? thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I need some advice, I'm trying to really lock down my reception and get things rock solid, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I'm theoretically in a pretty good location:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=90383f72ca0dd2

The trouble I'm having is getting KGAN and KWWL reliably at the same time.

Right now I've got an ancient Radio Shack antenna, I believe it's one of these:
The Radio Shack VU-120XR

I'm wondering if it's too directional, this weekend I was messing with it, and just a couple degrees different in aiming had a dramatic affect. I could get KWWL or KCRG locked, but not both at the same time. Should I be looking at something like a 4-bay bowtie? Though I realize that would likely be problematic for KWWL since it's VHF.
Yes that type of antenna will not work well. try buying a new antenna just dont get a junky antenna. if your more than 60 miles away from Cedar Rapids try a preamp if none of these work just rotate your antenna when you want to watch kwwl, kcrg or kgan

·
Registered
3 Posts
[B]Dubuque, IA: Looking for antenna setup advice[/B]

Get a preamp if it does not work get a bigger antenna outside to pick up those tv channels were i live im 60 Milles from KFXA Fox 28 and i pick it up easy with a bigger antenna without a preamp

4981 - 5000 of 5017 Posts