AVS Forum banner

5001 - 5017 of 5017 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Are people having problems with the signals coming from the KCRG Walker tower?

KGANDT (UHF 29) is around 20% for me and cannot display
KCRGDT (VHF 9) has no signal at all
KRINDT (UHF 35) has no signal at all

I usually have problems with KWWLDT (VHF 7) but it's hovering around 60% - I think that's on the KWWL Rowley tower.

I'm pretty sure the 3 that aren't coming in are all on the same tower in Walker but I can't find anything about it on their social media outlets. The CFU link in post #1 is dead so I don't have any other way to check signal strength down here in Johnson County.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Update:

Signals are better now, no change in my setup.

KGANDT 2-1 (UHF 29) is around 85% for me and has picture now
KCRGDT 9-1 (VHF 9) is around 40% and has picture
KRINDT 32-1 (UHF 35) is around 70% and has picture

Earlier today I couldn't watch any of these. I almost wonder if this is because of some weird atmospheric conditions? Could tropospheric ducting be pulling in other stations that are conflicting with the closer stations?

I'm asking because I ran a channel scan and it picked up a signal around 50% on channel 21 (UHF 25) which it said was Iowa Public Television. KTIN has the same channels but it's around 163 miles away. There is no picture, it's just black and silent.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You are correct about the three stations being on the same tower - KGAN and KRIN both use KCRG's facility. The most likely scenario is that there was some work going on at the site that required them to reduce power or take some of the transmitters off the air.

Tropo interference is theoretically possible, but it would have to be extremely strong tropo to blow out local signals, and that's very unlikely to happen this time of year. If it were a strong tropo event, the channel scan would have detected more distant signals than just KTIN.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
KCRG-TV has petitioned the FCC to move from channel 9 to channel 32, because...VHF-HI isn't all tat it's cracked up to be! Reception issues, of course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Currently in Vinton, on a whim decided to do a channel re-scan on my TV a few days ago, and now I'm picking up KFKZ-LD (Cozi, Buzzr, lots of shopping channels) on virtual channels 35.1-35.6. It's broadcasting on RF channel 32 from the tower farm north of Urbana, so I'm assuming this is a temporary placeholder for KCRG pending approval of their switch to UHF (If so, I'd say it's VERY temporary, as at the top of every hour it flashes an unfinished station ID screen that says "TEST-DT 99, Community, ST").

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It's not a placeholder. KFKZ-LD is a separately licensed LPTV station owned by HC2 Broadcasting and has nothing to do with KCRG, Gray, or its pending request to move to RF 32. KFKZ-LD has been broadcasting on RF 32 since 2015, originally it was broadcasting from a tower in Dumont, a few months later they moved to a tower near Waterloo, and back in 2019 they moved to their current tower in Walker. According to their FCC filings, they returned to air on March 24 after being silent for a few months because of damage to their transmission line.

This is their lineup according to HC2's subchannel listing:
35.1 Cozi
35.2 CRTV (Infomercials)
35.3 BUZZR
35.4 Binge TV (Infomercials)
35.5 Timeless TV (Infomercials wrapped around public domain shows)
35.6 Magnificent Movies Network (Infomercials wrapped around public domain movies)

If KCRG's request to move to RF 32 is granted, KFKZ-LD will have to file a displacement application for a new RF number since LPTV stations are not protected from changes to the table of allotments like full power and Class A stations are.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is this a KFXA frequency change or just a programming move?

I ran a re-scan and picked up (virtual) 28-5 and 28-6 plus (virtual & actual) 29-6 that had no audio or video. The PSIP info didn't change for the existing channels. Also KCRG-TV signal was AWOL for a few days, but now is back for me. All kinds of RF voodoo happening for me I guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for some antenna advice for the Iowa City area. Unfortunately I'm located in a bit of a valley which makes this a bit more difficult.

I've done a rabbitears report, here's a link and screenshots:

Of the channels on the report, the ones that I'd like to pick up are limited to:
  • KIIN (PBS) - VHF-HI
  • KFXA (CBS/FOX) - UHF
  • KGAN (CBS) - UHF
  • KCRG (ABC) - VHF-HI
  • KWWL (NBC) - VHF-HI
  • KWQC (NBC) - UHF, if KWWL not possible
From what I can gather, KCRG might move to UHF in the future. Regardless, KCRG is coming from the same direction as KWWL, so I would like to try and bring it in now on VHF-HI.

My current thinking: It seems like KCRG and KWWL (KWWL in particular) will be difficult to bring in. I was thinking about installing a 30-2476 for these two channels, pointed in their direction. My hope is that the 30-2476 would also be able to pick up KIIN (PBS). I've had success with KIIN on a terrible indoor antenna in a basement, FWIW.

Would KCRG/KWWL be possible with the 30-2476 mounted on the roof? I would first roll the dice and see if I can get KCRG and KWWL with the antenna in the attic (hope springs eternal) but am pretty sure I'll need it on the roof instead.

For the UHF channels (KGAN (CBS) and KFXA (CBS/FOX): Unfortunately these come from different directions. KFXA comes from 313.8, whereas KGAN comes from 337.4. KFXA seems to have meaningfully better signal in my area. Would something like the Antennas Direct 91XG be reasonable, or is this antenna too directional? I would think it would be pointed at KGAN, with the hope that it would also be able to pick up KFXA.

Would a 30-2476 + 91XG be a reasonable combo for the channels I'd like to get?

I understand I will also need to get a VHF-UHF combiner device. Is there a particular model that is best? I'm aware of:
  • Stellar Labs 33-2230
  • An Antennas Direct model (EU385CF-1S)
  • Channel Master Jointenna (CM-0500
If there are better devices available I would of course be interested.

I understand that if I am able to get workable signal at the antenna itself, then I might need to invest in a preamp. I'll kick that can down the road until I see the channels I want...

Open to any and all advice on the best way to pick these OTA signals up. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Hi all,

Looking for some antenna advice for the Iowa City area. Unfortunately I'm located in a bit of a valley which makes this a bit more difficult.

I've done a rabbitears report, here's a link and screenshots:

View attachment 3077798
View attachment 3077799

Of the channels on the report, the ones that I'd like to pick up are limited to:
  • KIIN (PBS) - VHF-HI
  • KFXA (CBS/FOX) - UHF
  • KGAN (CBS) - UHF
  • KCRG (ABC) - VHF-HI
  • KWWL (NBC) - VHF-HI
  • KWQC (NBC) - UHF, if KWWL not possible
From what I can gather, KCRG might move to UHF in the future. Regardless, KCRG is coming from the same direction as KWWL, so I would like to try and bring it in now on VHF-HI.

My current thinking: It seems like KCRG and KWWL (KWWL in particular) will be difficult to bring in. I was thinking about installing a 30-2476 for these two channels, pointed in their direction. My hope is that the 30-2476 would also be able to pick up KIIN (PBS). I've had success with KIIN on a terrible indoor antenna in a basement, FWIW.

Would KCRG/KWWL be possible with the 30-2476 mounted on the roof? I would first roll the dice and see if I can get KCRG and KWWL with the antenna in the attic (hope springs eternal) but am pretty sure I'll need it on the roof instead.

For the UHF channels (KGAN (CBS) and KFXA (CBS/FOX): Unfortunately these come from different directions. KFXA comes from 313.8, whereas KGAN comes from 337.4. KFXA seems to have meaningfully better signal in my area. Would something like the Antennas Direct 91XG be reasonable, or is this antenna too directional? I would think it would be pointed at KGAN, with the hope that it would also be able to pick up KFXA.

Would a 30-2476 + 91XG be a reasonable combo for the channels I'd like to get?

I understand I will also need to get a VHF-UHF combiner device. Is there a particular model that is best? I'm aware of:
  • Stellar Labs 33-2230
  • An Antennas Direct model (EU385CF-1S)
  • Channel Master Jointenna (CM-0500
If there are better devices available I would of course be interested.

I understand that if I am able to get workable signal at the antenna itself, then I might need to invest in a preamp. I'll kick that can down the road until I see the channels I want...

Open to any and all advice on the best way to pick these OTA signals up. Thanks!
To be honest, I would go with this for an antenna:

A friend of mine has it, 60 miles away from Chicago, and it gets nearly 90 channels...including all but two of the low pwer ones (and one of those is on low-VHF, which this antenna doesn't pick up.)

Believe it or not, the RCA preamp that they sell at Menard's and elsewhere does very well for the price. It's only $30. And given the low fade margin, you WILL need a 22 dB signal boost to make your wishes come true, reliably. But yes, at 60 miles, this can be done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi @sebenste ,

Thanks for your reply!
I ended up ordering two antennas already:
  • Stellar Labs 30-2476 for the VHF-HI
  • Stellar Labs 30-2370 (generic 91XG) for UHF
I appreciate your recommendation for the 8 bay bowtie antenna. Depending on what my UHF reception is I might move to one of those - either the HDB8X or the 30-2431 (Stellar Labs equivalent).

will add the menards preamp to the list as that is priced right and in my area.

thanks again!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Hi @sebenste ,

Thanks for your reply!
I ended up ordering two antennas already:
  • Stellar Labs 30-2476 for the VHF-HI
  • Stellar Labs 30-2370 (generic 91XG) for UHF
I appreciate your recommendation for the 8 bay bowtie antenna. Depending on what my UHF reception is I might move to one of those - either the HDB8X or the 30-2431 (Stellar Labs equivalent).

will add the menards preamp to the list as that is priced right and in my area.

thanks again!
You did not go wrong! I applaud you going with two separate antennas. That will get you additional gain. I recommended the 8-bay to keep it simple, but since you are willing to work harder to get this, you'll be fine. Get the amplifier and you should really rock! Unless there is a cell tower nearny, then you might need a ChannelMaster 600 MHZ and above filter...

·
Registered
4 Posts
You did not go wrong! I applaud you going with two separate antennas. That will get you additional gain. I recommended the 8-bay to keep it simple, but since you are willing to work harder to get this, you'll be fine. Get the amplifier and you should really rock! Unless there is a cell tower nearny, then you might need a ChannelMaster 600 MHZ and above filter...
Keeping my fingers crossed... unfortunately it'll be months before I am able to get things set up.

Is this a KFXA frequency change or just a programming move?

I ran a re-scan and picked up (virtual) 28-5 and 28-6 plus (virtual & actual) 29-6 that had no audio or video. The PSIP info didn't change for the existing channels. Also KCRG-TV signal was AWOL for a few days, but now is back for me. All kinds of RF voodoo happening for me I guess.
It's not a frequency change. Sinclair Broadcast Group moved the FOX affiliation to KGAN.
Sorry, I'm a little confused as to what is happening here. My RabbitEars report above suggests that KFXA is broadcasting from a different location than KGAN. Is this still true?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed... unfortunately it'll be months before I am able to get things set up.

Sorry, I'm a little confused as to what is happening here. My RabbitEars report above suggests that KFXA is broadcasting from a different location than KGAN. Is this still true?
I believe so. Initially KOCR-TV operated from an unlicensed tower off of Boyson Rd. in Cedar Rapids. When they changed hands and became KFXA-TV they moved out to a tower in Garrison. KGAN-TV operates off of the same tower that KCRG-TV owns. Sinclair now owns both of the stations.

I'm a few miles north of you in Johnson County - the VHF-HI stations have always been problematic and I use a Winegard HDA-200 preamplifier. I also have a 4 bay bowtie UHF antenna combined with a homemade folded dipole that was cut for Channels 7 and 9. I'm using the Pico Macom UVSJ to combine them. The quality from this setup isn't great and I'm looking to upgrade also. I liked the look of the HDB8X that @sebenste recommended. I also have a (Sprint?) cell tower that is 440 meters from my house so now I'm thinking I should look into a LTE filter.

@michael_iowa Do you know your elevation in Iowa City? I'm at 780 feet but I know Iowa City can sometimes be over 100 feet lower. (EDIT: Just saw your Rabbit Ears report that you are at 746 AMSL.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe so. Initially KOCR-TV operated from an unlicensed tower off of Boyson Rd. in Cedar Rapids. When they changed hands and became KFXA-TV they moved out to a tower in Garrison. KGAN-TV operates off of the same tower that KCRG-TV owns. Sinclair now owns both of the stations.

I'm a few miles north of you in Johnson County - the VHF-HI stations have always been problematic and I use a Winegard HDA-200 preamplifier. I also have a 4 bay bowtie UHF antenna combined with a homemade folded dipole that was cut for Channels 7 and 9. I'm using the Pico Macom UVSJ to combine them. The quality from this setup isn't great and I'm looking to upgrade also. I liked the look of the HDB8X that @sebenste recommended. I also have a (Sprint?) cell tower that is 440 meters from my house so now I'm thinking I should look into a LTE filter.

@michael_iowa Do you know your elevation in Iowa City? I'm at 780 feet but I know Iowa City can sometimes be over 100 feet lower.
Looks like my elevation is 708 ft at ground level, located in a valley unfortunately. Good to hear some real experiences from someone nearby. I'll update on how much success I have in my location, but that will be a few months down the road.

Would you say you have the most trouble with KWWL/KCRG, and the UHF stations are generally more reliable? If you were to pick up the HDB8X, I'd assume you'd either keep your current homemade folded dipole or go with a new VHF-HI antenna, right? Seems like those bowtie antennas are geared toward UHF reception.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Looks like my elevation is 708 ft at ground level, located in a valley unfortunately. Good to hear some real experiences from someone nearby. I'll update on how much success I have in my location, but that will be a few months down the road.

Would you say you have the most trouble with KWWL/KCRG, and the UHF stations are generally more reliable? If you were to pick up the HDB8X, I'd assume you'd either keep your current homemade folded dipole or go with a new VHF-HI antenna, right? Seems like those bowtie antennas are geared toward UHF reception.
I had a Winegard 8200U in my garage for 10 years but never really came up with a good mounting solution since it was so big, so I sold it this summer to someone who lost theirs in the Derecho. It was just too big for my eave mount.

Yes, most of my flakiness is on KWWL and then KCRG. Even though the UHF antenna is pointed towards Walker, I do still pick up KWKB in West Branch and KYOU in Richland. KYOU has NBC on 15.2, so that's been my "backup" NBC affiliate. I do not pick up any Quad City stations.

I'm not really fond of my folded dipole, it was a cheap solution I made years ago and it "kinda" worked when I moved here so I kept it. I can't recall where I came up with the idea that bowtie antennas pull in UHF signals better than Yagis but I also had that same impression as you.

I really like the reports and specs for the HDB8X and the 91XG regarding signal range, but the HDB8X seems IMHO to look less wind resistant. But, being able to point one array to the Quad Cities and another towards Walker would be enticing. A few months ago I was poking around for a reasonably sized VHF-HI/UHF antenna and I like the aerodynamic look and specs of the Winegard HD7694P. It only claims 45 miles so it's less than your 91XG (70) or the HDB8X (65) but I liked how the UHF and VHF is joined. I'm not an RF expert, but I've read how sometimes it's tricky to combine 2 antennas if you run into phasing problems or the UVSJ isn't working properly so I'm looking to get away from that. I'm still thinking about what will work best so I'm interested in how your rig works out.

5001 - 5017 of 5017 Posts