AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CEDIA Expo for 2016 is being held 13-17 September in Dallas, Texas at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center. The trade show floor exhibits will be open Thursday thru Saturday, 15-17 September. Registration to attend is now open. Non-CEDIA members can either pay to attend or use a manufacturer's coupon code for free admission to the trade show floor (more info below).

Registration is Now Open - at the following CEDIA registration page: http://expo.cedia.net/register-plan/registration

For those wanting to attend CEDIA Expo just to go to the manufacturers booths, you will need to register (see link above) to attend by creating a user name and password then filling out your info: name, address, etc. There are several pages of training classes offered during the registration process, but virtually all cost money so just don't check off on anything on these pages. There is a page where you must select or enter answers for a few questions, such as what areas of the show are interested in (e.g., home theater). After all of these pages are completed there is a page that lets you sign up to attend certain of the evening activities. There is normally a fee for attending the show but you can avoid this by using one of the coupon codes. Several of the manufacturers with exhibits offer coupon codes for those wanting to attend just the trade floor exhibits and the other free events (see below).

COUPON CODES: In order to attend for free, you will need to enter a coupon codes on the Payments page near the end of the registration process. At least one member has reported success using each of the following coupon codes:
  • DPI16
  • RightatHomeTech16
  • PLA16
  • RUS16
AVS Forum members get together - Scott Wilkinson, on behalf of the AVS forum, has organized two meet-up/GTGs during CEDIA. Both will be late Thursday afternoon and include private demos for AVS member. The first one is at 4pm at the Samsung booth (#5742). If you plan to attend post on the following thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-community-news-polls/2576353-avs-meetup-samsung-s-booth-during-cedia-2016-a.html#post46696777

The second meet-up is at 5:15pm at the Epson's booth (#4700). If you plan to attend post on the following thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/92-community-news-polls/2574849-avs-meetup-epson-s-booth-during-cedia-2016-a.html#post46696833

EVENING PARTY - CEDIA is holding a Thursday evening get together called "CEDIA 2016 Celebration" starting at 7pm at Gilley's (http://gilleysdallas.com/), located at 1135 S Lamar St, (about 3 blocks south of the convention center). You will need to sign up to attend this free event on the CEDIA web site, either when registering to attended CEDIA Expo or later. FYI - The original Gilley's was used as the setting for the movie "Urban Cowboy". Perhaps the AVS Forum members could get together at this event. CEDIA describes this event by saying:
"This year, we are excited to host another big celebration that includes the announcement of the 2016 CEDIA Award winners. The CEDIA Celebration will provide a great venue for attendees to catch up with their industry friends and celebrate the amazing work that CEDIA members are doing."

"The CEDIA Celebration will begin with a cocktail hour; followed by the presentation of this year's award winners with emcee Carley Knobloch, a digital lifestyle expert and host of the HTGV Smart Home; and then everyone will enjoy a true Lone star experience with cocktails, BBQ, live music, and a mechanical bull. "
HOTELS: You can download the list of hotels that CEDIA has arranged for the show and make reservations at the following web links:

Note that CEDIA runs shuttle buses between the convention center and many of those hotels that are not within a couple blocks of the convention center.

This post will be updated as more information becomes available.

If you plan to attend, post to this thread.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My wife isn't going to be happy about this. Last year I went to CEDIA happy with my theater. Within six months, based on what I saw at CEDIA, I had a new JVC projector plus had upgraded to Dolby Atmos. :) I'm local to DFW so I'll be there, as soon as some of those registration codes come out I plan on signing up.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anyone comes across a free registration code send me a PM and I'll add it to post #1.

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
Talked to Mike Garrett today. We talked about doing another trip to the Dolby Cinema. Any interest?
Of the three times I've watched The Martian, arguably that was the worst, compared to my theater with the RS600. I am interested in going back to that great steakhouse at the convention center and getting another filet mignon and Napa cab though ! :D

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Just booked my room...First time ever going. How many days would it take to cover most of the expo ?

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
Of the three times I've watched The Martian, arguably that was the worst, compared to my theater with the RS600. I am interested in going back to that great steakhouse at the convention center and getting another filet mignon and Napa cab though ! :D

Wow, really. I would like to hear if any of the other guys have had the same reaction as you.

As for the steak, you had me before your fingers hit the keyboard. My guess is the Seattle AV mafia will want to do Texas de Brazil again, but I may bow out in favor of that place.

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
Wow, really. I would like to hear if any of the other guys have had the same reaction as you.

As for the steak, you had me before your fingers hit the keyboard. My guess is the Seattle AV mafia will want to do Texas de Brazil again, but I may bow out in favor of that place.
It was that damn AT screen - I could see screen texture on more than one occasion when the picture panned. Took me right out of the movie. Plus, I have better black levels in my theater ! ;)

·
Registered
12,515 Posts
I think you guys sat closer than we did. I don't remember anyone saying anything about the screen, but I will look again.

The blacks were washed out thanks to the exit sign. Dolby and AMC really need to come up with a solution for that problem.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Does anyone have a free CEDIA registration code. I haven't seen one posted anywhere yet.

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
I think you guys sat closer than we did. I don't remember anyone saying anything about the screen, but I will look again.

The blacks were washed out thanks to the exit sign. Dolby and AMC really need to come up with a solution for that problem.
They can't compete with JVC black levels in our own theaters. This is a case where " size matters " doesn't hold true.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts