Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, All

I'm just back from CEDIA and here are my impressions on the projectors I saw:

Sharp: Excellent picture. 800 lumens was no problem in modest ambient lighting. Thos 16:9 chips make a big difference. Finally a Sharp projector I can be proud to own!

Seleco: Loved the 300. They too, decided to trade lumens for contrast. Good choice. I didn't miss the light in my demo. I regret they couldnt show NTSC on it. Only a georgous HDTV clip. I continue to be disappointed with the 200DM.

Runco shocked me with its DLC-2000HD LCD projector. This baby has blacks like a DLP, 2000 lumens and a vertical lens shift on steroids. This 1366 x 768 16:9 panel, 500:1 contrast ratio baby gave the best digital demo when Runco showed a clip of Gladiator in Hi Def. What a blast. $18K retail.

Plus displayed a sweet little DLP called the Piano. it had 848 x 600 resolution and only 450 lumens, but it was beautiful in a dark room. The kicker is the retail price: $2900.

Dwin DLP - a forgettable experience.

Some company was demoing the Isco II on a G15 along with Dilard. Great picture.

JVC showed a prototype of their next gen. DILA. I forgot the name. He told no details. They were using it to display some drop dead High Def video recorded with their new D-VHS. This unit has got to be the best product of the show and many manufacturers were using it to demo their HD material. Its hard to distinguish the recording from the broadcast. Its that good.

BEST picture of show was in the Faroudja booth. Here I saw a 1080p High Definition clip of Dinosaur (courtesy of Disney) on a G-90. It was the best picture ever projected. EVER. My jaw never drops, but it fell out of it's socket on this one. I doubt if anyone will ever see a better projected image than the one shown in this demo.

Now some GREAT NEWS. I stopped by TAW booth to demo their 8 inch CRT and the Rock processor. They said that come CES 2002 they will show their new DILA projector. It is supposed to have black levels EQUAL to CRT proj. They designed it to completely replace 9" CRT's. The best news is that it will have a 25,000 hr. lamp life with NO fan! I consider it a reliable source considering their other great products they've released lately. Wow.

Well that's my impressions of the projectors at CEDIA. Of course, I didnt't go there to see projectors but I had some extra time on the third day so I decided to tak4 in a few demos.

------------------

-Jimmy Mack

Barco 801s and Martin Logans all around-

[This message has been edited by JimmyMack (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Jimmy,

What did you see on the DWIN? Everyone else who saw it seemed to like it as much as the Sharp and Seleco.

-phil

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were running a continuous demo of Vertical Limit when I went in there on Sunday. Everyone was showing this movie for demo's so I was very familiar with it. The picture was unimpressive. Artifacts galore. Not terrible. Just not up to snuff. I felt the same way about it at CES earlier this year when they were showing Austin Powers on it. I was more impressed with the Plus Piano. Maybe it wasn't setup optimally.

------------------

-Jimmy Mack

·
Registered
842 Posts
"Some company was demoing the Isco II on a G15 along with Dilard. Great picture."

That was Immersive (a new company that Alan Gouger - owner of this forum - and I have started) and we were showing the Vigatec Dune scaling HDTV and a Proceed SDI DVD player. We did not show DILARD at the show and the G15 we used was calibrated by William Phelps.

Glad you liked what you saw!!!

------------------

Tom Strade

Immersive, Inc.
www.immersiveinc.com

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Thx for the report and opinions Jimmy.

There are several of us who have been on the projector sidelines for quite a while. It seems the current crop of DLP HD projectors will put a bunch of us into the game, at last.

Take care,

-- Cain

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Jimmy

Thanks for the report.

With regards to the TAW Dila, did they mention what the light output would be?

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't get to ask many questions because it was the final hours on Sunday and I was hittin'the demo's heavy. Truth be told, with a 25K hour lamp, I'd be satisfied with half the lumens of a G15 or even 1/3rd. I wasn't going to go to Vegas next year because of the crowds, but I think I will make it to view this projector.

------------------

-Jimmy Mack

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyMack:
Their reply to that question was "Did we say it was a bulb? We didn't mention a bulb." They were hush hush. Said it was something totally different. We'll have to wait until CES2002
25000 hr and no fan, sounds like a CRT tube. Maybe they're using a single white CRT as a lamp? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Would give a black level of CRT too, since you could turn it on and off for individual pixels.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
500 lumens? Long life? No fan? Absolute blacks?

Your know what this sounds like, don't you?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Viking...you scooped me. Your post wasn't there when I started mine...Guess I was really slow in hitting the post button, though.

·
Registered
842 Posts
TAW's lightbulb is an induction driven cold fluorescent

bulb. But 25,000 hours is definitely pushing it. More

like 20,000 hours. Maximum power from the bulb is about

180 watts. I think that 500 lumens is also pushing it.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
I've asked Taw this question myself and they told me it is not a bulb or a crt.

It is something so simple we would never guess.

I'm puzzled!!! Kevin?

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
129 Posts
A Candle?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Sunlight? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif (full spectrum D6500 by nature, don't you know) Collimate enough of it and it would be bright enough.

Kevin,

Are you actually serious? I've never heard of such a bulb, which is why I ask and it sounds plausible enough to be true. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I know there are 6500K fluorescents...

But isn't the spectrum of a fluorescent very peaky? How will they get good colour primaries?

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hmmm, something simple.. how about an array of white LED's? I hear they are becoming real, but don't know at what level of light output.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't ask a price on the TAW DILA but it could be a version of the Christy's since the two companies are closely tied. Being a CRT owner, I don't consider 500 lumens to be dim by any means in a light controlled theater. I would pay $15K for a compact, digital projector with a 25K hour lifespan and black levels and resolution worthy of replacing a 9" CRT. Bring it on!

Also, the G15's NTSC image may have been better at the Immersive booth, but to my eyes, it could'nt beat that big, beautiful 1080i gladiator image coming out of the Runco booth. WOW.

------------------

-Jimmy Mack

[This message has been edited by JimmyMack (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
What about a laser? just a guess so don't laugh ok? I don't know if it's even possible, but don't some of the IMAX theaters use them?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Did he mention what kind of bulp they would be using? It doesn't sound like a Xenon.

------------------

Best regards

Lars

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Their reply to that question was "Did we say it was a bulb? We didn't mention a bulb." They were hush hush. Said it was something totally different. We'll have to wait until CES2002

------------------

-Jimmy Mack

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
it's not clear to me how any light source can help black level. i thought the issue was stray light off the panel. i know less about dila but i know dlp has an issue that the mirrors reflect some light to the screen in the off position. wouldn't any bulb be the same?

i had a great discussion with one of the ti engineers at cedia. he explained to me about the limitation on the diameter of the light source in a dlp. you want surface area for the source but if the source gets too big it will overlap with the cone of light going out through the lense or will reflect some light into the outbound cone rather than into the cone that sinks light in the off position. he said this is why the 12 degree tilt dmd can output more light.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.