AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Forum Notification System
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CEDIA Releases HDMI Troubleshooting White Paper

New document will help electronic systems contractors (ESCs)

resolve issues with HDMI systems

INDIANAPOLIS (August 12, 2011)The Custom Electronic Design & Installation Association (CEDIA) has released a new white paper titled HDMI Troubleshooting. This white paper is the fifth document in a series of HDMI white papers published by CEDIA.

The HDMI Troubleshooting document introduces troubleshooting principles for HDMI systems, helping readers identify and resolve possible causes of malfunction by inspection or by using test equipment.

"HDMI systems can be a challenge for electronic systems technicians to support and service," said CEDIA Senior Director of Technology Dave Pedigo. "This document will help electronic systems contractors understand different troubleshooting techniques and the common symptoms and solutions which may arise in an HDMI environment."

HDMI Troubleshooting is available for download in the CEDIA Marketplace at www.cedia.org/marketplace along with previous white papers released by CEDIA. Each document is available free of charge for CEDIA members or priced at $9.99 for non-members. All five HDMI white papers have been combined into a comprehensive document that will be available for download soon. A limited quantity of hard copies will be available for purchase in the CEDIA Marketplace at CEDIA EXPO 2011.

The HDMI Troubleshooting white paper was developed as part of CEDIA's efforts to help its members identify opportunities surrounding emerging and future technologies. Additional white papers are scheduled for future release.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
So the industry decides to publish and charge for documentation on how to fix problems with the less than robust interconnect they market to consumers, instead of designing it to be bulletproof in the first place like component connections are, and therefore not needed to sell fix-it guides. Pretty slimey on the CE industries part.

·
Registered
531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/20817757

So the industry decides to publish and charge for documentation on how to fix problems with the less than robust interconnect they market to consumers, instead of designing it to be bulletproof in the first place like component connections are, and therefore not needed to sell fix-it guides. Pretty slimey on the CE industries part.

Right On!!

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/20817757

HDMI where invented by Hitachi, Panasonic, Philips, Silicon Image, Sony, Thomson and Toshiba - not CEDIA. HDMI is also a world-wide standard if that fact where missed by anyone.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiox_swe
HDMI where invented by Hitachi, Panasonic, Philips, Silicon Image, Sony, Thomson and Toshiba - not CEDIA. HDMI is also a world-wide standard if that fact where missed by anyone.
Maybe you missed my point, which is that the existance of these fixme guides should not be necessary, it should "just work" in the CE world.

·
Registered
234 Posts
HDMI was and is a horribly designed interconnect and this document while appreciated is a glaring example that HDMI needs to go away. I compare it to Windows ME, a well intentioned product that was not well thought out.

There were and are cables capable of doing all the things that HDMI does and more, why Cat5 or Cat6 wasn't utilized is a mystery to me. It would of and should have been the natural choice, oh the possibilities.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepaola /forum/post/21409434

HDMI was and is a horribly designed interconnect and this document while appreciated is a glaring example that HDMI needs to go away. I compare it to Windows ME, a well intentioned product that was not well thought out.

There were and are cables capable of doing all the things that HDMI does and more, why Cat5 or Cat6 wasn't utilized is a mystery to me. It would of and should have been the natural choice, oh the possibilities.

The average end-user doesn't care if its an HDMI cable or an ethernet cable they're plugging their Playstation in with.

There's also lots of money to be made from HDMI licencing, etc...

If Cat6 cabling was used, imagine how easy it would be to form a network of devices connected via a central HDMI Cat6 "hub". If all you had was a simple TV/blu-ray player setup, one Cat6 cable between them two would be fine. But if you have several players, TVs, etc.. connecting these via a hub or switch would allow the use of one device in another room, etc..

A Cat6 HDMI TV for example could scan the network and show all available devices - your cable box, PS3, etc...

It would be so much nicer than what we got stuck with.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I hate HDMI with a passion. It has been the thorn in the side of the industry since its inception. Not only does it not work reliably, once you get it to work, the slightest movement from the cable rips the end apart. Countless damaged inputs on Plasma, LED screens and numerous hdmi cables needing to be run under the house again. What a PITA.

·
Registered
586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi /forum/post/21426930

I hate HDMI with a passion. It has been the thorn in the side of the industry since its inception. Not only does it not work reliably, once you get it to work, the slightest movement from the cable rips the end apart. Countless damaged inputs on Plasma, LED screens and numerous hdmi cables needing to be run under the house again. What a PITA.

Hdmi means that you can't make it without the license. License means hdcp and such. No region free or Off reservation equipment. License controls all device makers. Analog sunset means no competition. Seen a record out jack recently ?

Reactions: nateo200

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Yeah, who ever said HDMI was made for consumers? Ha ha, no way, it was made for content owners. THAT's what it's all about.

But jeez, couldn't they test out handshake problems before rolling out such a technology? Then again, this is the industry that:

- Didn't think to fit a couple dozen characters of artist, album, and song name within 600+ MB of Compact Disc

- Decided the PLAY button shouldn't make DVDs play, rather you must use ENTER

and on and on and on and on...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.