AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of this thread from a few months ago-- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0717&highlight --I said I was considering a cloud for the ceiling, instead of individual panels. Well, that's what I ended up doing, except instead of a discrete cloud, it's more of an upholstered ceiling backed by mineral wool. It consists of two-inch panels of Roxul Rockboard 60, framed in 2x fir, covered with Atsacoustics burlap, and trimmed with 5mm plywood. The framing was made from 2x4 studs. Since the panels were 2 inches thick, that would have wasted a lot of wood, so I ripped the studs to 1 1/2", and made a bunch of half-inch thick spacers to get to the requisite two inches. The total cost of materials was about $450, to cover a ceiling of not quite 150 square feet.

As you can see from the collage, the living room is an acoustical nightmare. There was a thick-pile rug on the ceramic tile for a time, but then the cat decided it would make a good litter box. We had the rug cleaned; it's rolled up in a closet, awaiting the cat's demise. Needless to say, treating the ceiling has made a huge difference. Just walking from the dining room into the living room, you can "hear" the quiet. However, in the couple or so weeks since the mineral wool went up, the biggest differences I've noticed, aside from having to turn the volume up a bit, haven't been in watching movies. It's been in ordinary conversation, and the sound of the piano. On the other hand, we haven't watched any slam-bang action movies since then, so perhaps the ceiling hasn't really been tested yet in that regard.

The main reasons I included the shots of the living room is that I've got about sixteen square feet of the Roxul left over, and and wondering what I can do with it. I have tacit approval for a panel on the west wall, behind our chairs. I could just about fill the space between the windows, and the projector housing and the armchair below it. Might that be worthwhile? We can't really put anything with a loosely woven fabric near the floor, or the cats would destroy it.

The funny thing about all this is that I had quite a time convincing my wife to let me do this. Now that she's heard the difference, she wants me to do the same to the dining room ceiling.....

Jeff

·
Lifetime Member
1,546 Posts
wow that looks great, i've been planning to do a massive ceiling cloud, and this looks great. i never did get around to it because i am horrible and getting things straight on the ceiling, never did get too good with that.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
To get them to appear in the post, you have to host them somewhere else, lite photobucket, flikr or any number of other places and then put them in the actual post using tags.

I like your cloud. Nice and tailored.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts