AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages of my HT that I am building in my basement. One thing I am still unsure about is what to do about containing the sound in the basement and not hearing it in the MBD, which is directly above it. Besides putting insulation between floor joists, what other options do I have? Is there a specific type of insulation, or should I double up? Walls are going to be double wall, single drywall construction.

·
Registered
220 Posts
One thing that would really help reduce sound transmission between floors is the use of resilient channel. This would be put onto the bottom of the floor joists and then the drywall gets screwed into the channel. This separates the drywall from the joists and thus limits the sound from transmitting upward. Check out my site, link below, and you can see what I'm talking about.

Another think I did was place 90lb. roofing material on the bottom of the joist BEFORE I hund the resilient channel. This acts as another "mass" barrier for sound transmission, similiar to Acoustiblok.

Hope this helps!

E

·
Registered
163 Posts
Another approach is to build a room-in-a-room, whereby you install new joists between and slightly below your existing ones, and attach your walls to these. This isolates sound transmission. Once this is completed, utilize the steps that efarsted outlined above. I'm sure others have explained this approach better and in more detail, so try doing a search on this subject.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I had originally thought of installing new joists (a second set below existing) but a couple of things steered me away from that. 1)Loss of headroom, because of so many obsticles in the basement (conduit, air ducts, etc.) I would have to build the joists much lower than I would like, and 2) I think I am going to use a combination of drop ceiling tiles and drywall for the ceiling. Any other ideas or thoughts!?!?

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.