AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My unfinished ceiling height in the basement is 94". However, there is a gas line running perpindicular to the joists the length of the room, the pipe is 2.0" under the ceiling joists and unfortunately in the middle of the room. There is also some other copper plumbing involved making the idea of moving it all univiting.

The plan is to construct a frame using 2x3 wood studs 16" on center to frame the ceiling because of the plumbing, then use bailey D-1007 RC and one layer of 5/8ths sheetrock.

Questions are:

1. should I use my 3" roxul insulation in the joists or in the new frame or in both?

2. I also have a rolls of old conveyor belt. It is quite dense and heavy (oops did I just describe myself...doh) rubber based. It is about 3/8ths thick, if I were to use it, which layer would it be most effective if at all.

Thoughts and ideas much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steven

·
Registered
268 Posts
Reconsider getting an estimate to moving the plumbing. I am not saying it is feasible but 3 inches is a pretty big sacrifice on an under 8 ft ceiling. All the pipes can be relocated through the joist if need be. Even the gas line. Plumbers are using semi flexible gas pipe that makes this type of work possible and affordable now. I would use the rubber between the joist and furring not between the wallboard and furring. BTW I have seen the belt idea used to isolate floor joist in a friends recording studio. He seemed very pleased with the result. It was installed as a series of spaced pads not continuous.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm in a similar situation with the hot/cold water pipe . I'm giving up ~2". Fortunately the gas pipe is in the sofit.

I'm curious as to what is "bailey D-1007 RC" ? Is it standard RC-1 resilient channel ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
usehername> thanks...I didn't think the gas line could be routed through the joists. I'll get a quote afterall and hopefully look forward to saving 3 precious inches. Btw, did you have any more info on your friends idea for spacing the belt in sections and not making it continous?

AFryia> I believe it is standard RC1, here is the web-site

" bmp-group.com/drywall_framing3.shtml " sorry can't post properly formatted links until I reach 5 posts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.