AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing hat channel in my basement ceiling for theater area. Furring strips were installed by my contractor to clear some pipes running under ceiling joists

Furring strips are perpendicular to ceiling joists

Clip instructions say Hat channel is supposed to be installed perpendicular to ceiling joists.

If my furring strips are perpendicular to ceiling joists, do I go perpendicular again so my hat channel would end up parallel to ceiling joists?

Thanks!

Robert

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,571 Posts
More information is needed to answer your question. First putting up the furring strips may have been wasted effort as you can install the whisper clips and channel on blocking and achieve the same "hang it lower than the pipes" goal.

We need to know the location, orientation and size of these pipes. Sounds like the furring may get in the way. Your contractor may never have used the clips and channel and didn't know better. Installing the clips and channel on the furring may waste head room.

Post a picture if you want.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,571 Posts
Never mind is this the pipe?

You moved the duct why not the pipes? I would remove the furring, relocate the pipes, and rebuild the soffit. But that is just my OCD. You only get to build this room once, might as well do it right.

I would like to see what kind of furring he put up to clear that pipe. Are you still going with an open back theater?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big,

Yes, the pipes are the ones- didn't move- Central vac which I could have moved and gas which would have been too expensive per plumber.

Furring is 2x3 perperdicular to floor joists above. with clip will clear the central vac pipe.

Room is still open back so soffit divides room across back into theater area- non theater area does not have furring.

Ceiling height after clip, drywall will still be 8'3"- 8-4"

Robert

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,571 Posts
OK so basically you want to take down the furring your contractor put up. Then cut some 6-8 inch long pieces from the scrap pile, one for each clip. Then with sufficiently long deck screws (4 inch) securely fasten the clip and the blocking to the joists in the recommended pattern.

You need the channel to run parallel to the pipes otherwise they will never clear that big guy. Do the two channels on either side of the piping first and run a straight edge to be sure you are clearing the bottom of the pipe. If not you are going to need bigger blocking.

I'm sure you are aware that with your basement design containing the sound will be an effort with frustrating returns.

·
Registered
658 Posts
+1 on questioning value of soundproofing efforts when room is not dedicated and sealed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.