AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally I had an awesome idea of building my room with 10-foot ceilings and using Channel and clips and once it was done adding a soffit for my overhead Atmos speakers, ductwork, fiber optic starfield stuff, lights Etc to keep them isolated. Unfortunately prices for materials have gone up quite a bit and my wife put the hammer down. :( I am going to have to do an 8 foot ceiling.

My concern is that I could still do a one foot drop soffit but that would put my Atmos speakers at 7 feet and I know I have read in several places that their sound may become localized if you get them too low. the overhead speakers have their own boxes built in so sound leakage wouldn't be that bad. For cooling I will probably end up having to do a split system but there is only one door and no windows so I have a feeling I'm going to need some kind of exhaust. I see all these awesome theaters with lighting around the soffits, starfields and all this cool stuff but I'm worried it's going to look cheesy with an 8 foot ceiling.
If I don't do the soffit I am thinking about all the holes I will have to make for ductwork, lighting, mounting, cabling and power for the projector and everything else and I am hoping that the clips and hat Channel will even be effective up there.

This room is going to double as a small recording studio. My wife and my contractor / brother in-law keep telling me that this is only a hobby and my plans are way over kill and that I need to be more humble. I was a little bummed but after adding up some materials, he was right. Drywall and lumber weren't too bad but everything started adding up. I would love to have an awesome looking room but at the end of the day better sound is more important to me. So being that I have to do an 8 foot ceiling should I lose the soffit idea?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
What room dimensions are you looking at? Assuming this room has straight walls, you probably wouldn't want Atmos in the soffits anyway as they'd be pretty far to the side, and could get blurred with side surrounds. Unless this is a very narrow space, I'd consider building the soffit, but putting the Atmos speakers in the main ceiling a few feet inward.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The room is essentially 16 ft wide and 32 ft long but some of that length will be for an equipment room and a bathroom. One of the reasons for a soffit was going to be for a 12 x 8 Starfield inside but I might be reaching. Originally I wanted to do a tray ceiling or a pop-up ceiling not sure what the correct term is but I may be able to put the atmos speakers at full height and still do something like that. Thank you for your response I've got some thinking and planning to do it seems

Attachments

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Is this an existing house, or one that is yet to be built? If it is yet to be built, I can understand the costs associated with making the entire room taller. If it is house is already built, that's another story.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes this is a brand new building completely detached from my existing house. My budget is very small and I've been cutting corners with my brother-in-law and myself doing most of the labor. We just poured the slab last weekend and for concrete and labor it was right around $1,500. I was told that a normal concrete company would probably cost me around 4 grand to do what we did. When I first calculated the cost, prices weren't as high and it's crazy to think that just two feet would make that much difference but it does. I also just bought the property across the street from me so I have a smaller budget than when I started.
Right now I'm trying to get the cost of what it would cost to just button it up for now and I can do what's left as I save. I figure that once the walls are up it's going to take me quite a while running all of my wires by myself anyway so that will keep me busy and give me some time to save for drywall, carpet and other things.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'll give you some anecdotal data to work with. I had to build in a bonus room with sloped ceiling. 14' wide, 4' knee wall, ceiling at 45 degrees with the center of the ceiling being 6' across and 8' wide. As there's no attic space above, trying to ceiling mount speakers and run cables was not really an option (without some serious gutting). To get around that, I built an 8" soffit at the top of the slope and used that to house can lights and the Atmos speakers. This meant that they were about 4 linear feet in from the wall and 7'4" in height.

As far as the concern about localized sound; in my main seating, it is localized a tiny bit on strong Atmos effects, but generally pretty rare. The two outside seats both in the front row and on the riser definitely a bit more localized (rear especially as the riser puts you another 8" higher), which is expected as the seats are directly under the speaker line. That said, I love the Atmos channels and consider them worth it. If I have all 8 seats occupied and it's a move with strong Atmos effects, I pull the Amps driving the Atmos speakers back about 50% from where Audessy calibrated them.

Pic attached for reference. You can't really see the speakers in the pic (you can kind of make out the grill of the front left), but the fronts between the first and second lights and rears are behind the third.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Your room looks awesome. That's kind of what I wanted to do but with a star field in the middle. So I could either do a skinny star field with a skinny soffit and then put the atmos speakers further out towards the wall and flush in the 8 foot ceiling or maybe I can do a soffit like I had planned but not go as deep.
These Atmos speakers are massive and they need eight and a half inch of depth so maybe I could get away with doing a 9in drop soffit.

Thanks for sharing your room it has given me some ideas.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I do have a skinny starfield in the flat part of the ceiling :), but it's glow paint based, so only visible if I've used the blacklight to charge up the paint.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a skinny starfield in the flat part of the ceiling
, but it's glow paint based, so only visible if I've used the blacklight to charge up the paint.
Even cooler! Do you have any pics of your soffit detail anywhere on here? I am on a smart phone and searching is not working very well. I am wondering how you ended the soffit in the back and near the screen. How far does your soffit drop from the ceiling? It looks perfect.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Even cooler! Do you have any pics of your soffit detail anywhere on here? I am on a smart phone and searching is not working very well. I am wondering how you ended the soffit in the back and near the screen. How far does your soffit drop from the ceiling? It looks perfect.
Actually, I'm still trying to come up with a solution I really like. Each side of the soffit goes to the wall. Due to room design (there's a window behind the screen that is used both for some holiday decoration, but more importantly to provide natural light to my office during the day) I have the center channel speaker mounted at the same height as the soffit (angled downward). So I put a couple pieces of board to create the appearance of having the soffit go around the front as well. Ultimately I'm hoping to create a valance to cover the screen case and block the little bit of light bleed through.

Found a pic from before I put the soffit sides up and close off the front.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts