AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Ceiling help needed

1139 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  metropole
I decided that for acoustical reasons I would not like to use drywall for the ceiling. Furthermore I like the idea that I still could access the space above the ceiling. However I don't want to loose a lot of room height.

I want to end up with a grey ceiling with a decent pattern.

It seems that I have two basic options: metal grid systems from USG or Armstrong (are there others?) or Ceiling direct attach system.

From USG I could get a nice looking grid in the color I want (Fineline or so). Not sure how easy it would be to install with not much clearance. How does one do this? Still use wire? Or are there any tricks?

The ceilingmax thing seems to come only in one shape and doesn't look like a high quality product and seems to come only in white. Could I combine it with a grid cover?

Are there any other manufactures of direct attached grids?

Can a classic grid be attached directly to beams without using wire?

How does the price compare between CeilingMax Grid and metal grid?

How about if I use tiles without visible grids? I could use the EZTrack system. However I have a very ahrd time finding tiles for the "hidden grid look". What companies offer such tiles?
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole
I decided that for acoustical reasons I would not like to use drywall for the ceiling. Furthermore I like the idea that I still could access the space above the ceiling. However I don't want to loose a lot of room height.

I want to end up with a grey ceiling with a decent pattern.

It seems that I have two basic options: metal grid systems from USG or Armstrong (are there others?) or Ceiling direct attach system.

From USG I could get a nice looking grid in the color I want (Fineline or so). Not sure how easy it would be to install with not much clearance. How does one do this? Still use wire? Or are there any tricks?

The ceilingmax thing seems to come only in one shape and doesn't look like a high quality product and seems to come only in white. Could I combine it with a grid cover?

Are there any other manufactures of direct attached grids?

Can a classic grid be attached directly to beams without using wire?

How does the price compare between CeilingMax Grid and metal grid?

How about if I use tiles without visible grids? I could use the EZTrack system. However I have a very ahrd time finding tiles for the "hidden grid look". What companies offer such tiles?
First, I don't think you want to avoid drywall for acoustic reasons.

Second, drop ceilings can be mounted approximately 3" from the lowest protrusion.

Third, if you are considering direct attachment, you need to go with drywall, and attach the tile to that FOR acoustical reasons.

Clay
See less See more
Clay's right. It sounds like you have two (possibly 3) issues.

1) You want access to the ceiling for future improvements.

2) You have limited headroom, and don't want to lose any more.

3) You don't like drywalling (who does?) ;)

Issues 1 and 2 are butting heads here as I see it. I would suggest taking some time to future-proof the space in your ceiling so that you can close it up and not worry about it anymore. This means, making sure your electrical is all up to date, and any plumbing is as you want it for the forseeable future. You should run more audio/video/telephone/cable TV/Cat 5/etc, that you think you'll ever need and then close it up.

As for issue #3, if you don't like drywalling, you can always hire someone to do it! :D

Mark
See less See more
Hi here is another option.

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/s.../solserene.asp

Don't know much about it, first saw it on a Bob Vila show.

Watch the videos on the site to see it installed.
If I started over with my project I would do drywall. At the time I thought that a suspended ceiling gives me more options and would have an advantage "dampening" the room. After all I saw many nice looking drop ceilings in commercial buildings/restaurants.

This led to the point that the basement is pretty much finished with the exception of the ceiling. I'm afraid to start drywalling again.

At this point I would not mind closing the ceiling as long as it is not messy...

This Owens Corning product looks interesting. I wonder if they come out with more colors?
If you download the PDF brochure they show the white, black, what looks like a khaki or beige, and a light blue.
If they only had something in grey/charcoal...
If you are really into it call and ask them. They likely do other colors. It was borne as a commercial application.
First thing tomorrow morning!

But in case it doesn't work out I'm still looking for ceiling panel manufactures/sources.
I checked with Owens. Not much help there... It is a HD exclusive.

At my local home depot they actually knew about the product. However, they don't have samples. The have a mini sample frame in white there.

The person at HD made a quote a year ago to someone with a 17x23 room. It came to 1500.-. I was expecting less for such a product...
Got this answer back from the Owens online support:

"You can customize fabric with selectable dying. The white fabric can even be

field painted using low-solid paint spray."

I assume if I paint it I can't remove the fabric anymore and put it back again.

The whole thing made me thinking if I couldn't build some large custom panels with fabric covering. I wonder if this would be fire code compliant...
See less See more
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.