AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am having a new house built with a HT room in the basement that the builder is finishing. My problem is that the roof will not be insulated. The family room is above. I was wondering if u guys have any ideas for both acoustics as well as sound isolation. Thanks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Have the builder put a second layer of 5/8" drywall on the ceiling with green glue on it. There is a ton of information on green glue on the site, but that is the best STC improvement for the buck. Try www.greengluecompany.com for all the test results.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would do two things. Insulate the ceiling with faced R13 at a minimum and then have them use resilient channel to hang the drywall.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynfan /forum/post/0

I would do two things. Insulate the ceiling with faced R13 at a minimum and then have them use resilient channel to hang the drywall.

You aren't supposed to use faced insulation between two heated/cooled rooms. If you use faced insulation, you need to cut perforations in the facing. Also, resilient channel shouldn't be used in a theater or audio room.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch /forum/post/0

You aren't supposed to use faced insulation between two heated/cooled rooms. If you use faced insulation, you need to cut perforations in the facing. Also, resilient channel shouldn't be used in a theater or audio room.

I used unfaced personally. Why do you say RC should not be used? Many people have used it and as long as it is installed correctly and not short circuited, it has worked quite well.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz /forum/post/0

What is wrong with faced insulation in the ceiling?

Trapping moisture?

Basic rule of thumb, facing goes towards the heated(or conditioned) area, so you would not need facing since both areas are heated(and possibly conditioned).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone heard of using green glue between the 1st layer of drywall and the ceiling joists? Just wondering as it could be an inexpensive way to soundproof using only 1 layer of drywall or in addition to using it between 2 layers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.