AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dead set against this screen when I first hung up my "swatch" and projected onto it. It sure is nice of DaLite to send out the swatch book, but very unfortunate it doesn't give you the "BIG" picture :) of what the screen will do. I thought it washed out the picture. I was concerned about the blacks, but I think I was actually seeing more detail in the picture. I have given it a second look based on all the reading and reviews, and I think I could be seeing the HP as a very viable choice.

Alot of people have shown the math and explained the differences between retro-reflective and angular-reflective screens. Can anyone who actually OWNS or has seen a FULL SIZE demo of the HP screen with a CEILING OR HIGH WALL MOUNTED projector comment on it? Do you see an increase in rainbows? Is screen door better/worse/same as a matte white?

I own an X1 an have it on a high wall mount. When I was looking at my screen last night (parkland) I noticed that the X1 was not much higher than the top of the screen.

I can certainly live with not getting the full 2.8 gain.....I was actually looking for something a little less than that. Any other recommendations? Any Draper M2500 owners out there care to comment?

Thanks guys.

MQ25

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a 106" diag perm wall da lite high power screen that is ceiling mounted. A nec ht1000 projects onto it. I've had it for about a year now. I can't imagine using anything but the high power screen. It is a great screen especially with movies with a lot of colors. Does it brighten the blacks? Of couse, but you will not notice it that much. I see no rainbows so that is no concern for me. I'll say I'm probably getting about 1.8 gain from the screen. You can tell a difference when you stand up. But it still has plenty of punch especially compared to a 1.0 gain screen. I would say pixel grid would be noticeable but only on an all white picture(how often is that, maybe 1 out of 1000 minutes). I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry.

Just to clarify....is the projector itself ceiling mounted or high wall mounted?

Sounds like you are very happy with yours. Did you use another screen before the High Power? If so...were the lines better/worse/same? I have a little more to worry about because the X1 doesn't have the resolution your machine has.

Thx Again,

MQ25

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just to add I'd love to hear a response to your question as well. Im more than likely going to order a HP screen in the near future for my non-existent PJ. Once I make up my mind on what PJ to get it will be ceiling mounted around 7 feet.

Love these forums, cept Ive been reading too much lately, my head is starting to hurt :D

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Don't do it, the image and gain will fire straight to the ceiling pj lightlng up your ceiling in the process reducing contrast, gain, detail etc.

Retroreflective not angular

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AVWERKS
Don't do it, the image and gain will fire straight to the ceiling pj lightlng up your ceiling in the process reducing contrast, gain, detail etc.

Retroreflective not angular
Avwerks,

Thanks for the input. But now my head is spinning, I thought I read that HP was a good match for ceiling mounted PJ's just for the fact it can reduce potential ripples.

I'll need a pull-down screen for my forthcoming PJ, so any suggestions are welcome ;)

106" diag screen preferred, sitting 12.5' from it. PJ will be mounted around 7' off the floor. Web button has a few pics of my current setup. Still trying to decide what PJ to get (this is rough for a newbie.)

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
My experience:

I just got a Benq 8700 and ceiling mounted it. I have a High Power 96" wide screen. Before the Benq, I had a crt, floor mounted. The crt and High Power were a dazzling combination because of the floor mount. Now with the ceiling mount, I get a lot of fall off, and need to be almost directly behind the projector to get most of what's left (I judge about 1.5 to 1). It definitely hot spots in this arrangement with the top part of the screen being a hair brighter than the lower. People sitting right or left of me see less.

I then tried a piece of M2500 material from Draper about the same size. It gave a nice even brightness, but about 1.5 to 1, not 2+ as I thought it should be. The viewing angle is very wide. I also like the blacks and colors on the Draper, but, the material had an area of bad streaking (that many have also seen with this material) so it made it unusable.

I am now going to audition a piece of Carada Brilliant White (1.4 to 1) that should be here in a few days. I think it's going to be the compromise for me.

I really like the High Power, but the narrow angle and the fact that it does light up the ceiling more and cause some ambient wash out is pushing me away from it. Also, in my comparison to the Draper material, I noticed that the High Power had a slight tendency to green/yellow shift, which some have noticed as a problem when viewing Matrix.

If you can mount the projector at a maximum of 6 feet off the floor, then I would say the high power is the choice. If you have to mount at 7 feet like me, then it gets dicey.

Bob (I'm still looking..)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a hi power mounted a little less than 8 feet up. Yes there is drop off in gain. But I don't find it that disturbing for movies. The big upside to this screen is that it overcomes the waves and ripples of a non-tensioned pull down screen. I have tried a regular white pull down screen, and the waves were way to noticeable. In a perfect world, I would love a larger viewing cone, but as it is, it is the best option if you want a reasonably priced pull down screen.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well,

Last night I hung up the swatches again and I now go back to my original statement. This screen won't work in my application.

I agree that the top will be brighter than the bottom of the screen. When you sit on the couch.....you get a significant gain....when you stand...you get an overwhelming gain...when you lay down...it looks like matte white. Color saturation suffers even when you adjust brightness and contrast and RGB. In the Fast and the Furious...the yellow car was so flushed it almost looked white. The sky had no color.

Granted...I had a swatch...not really fair...but good enough for me to compare one swatch against another. This swatch sticks out like a sore thumb compared to matte white, video spectra and cinema vision.

I equate this material to cranking up the brightness contrast and sharpness on a TV set. At first look you say WOW! But when you look closer, the cons (viewing angle, loss of saturation, blacks) outweigh the pros.

I was actually impressed with the Video Spectra (a 1.5 Gain screen) because it offered a noticeable, but modest increase in gain, the colors looked nice and saturated and the blacks looked great. The viewing angle is also very generous. I wonder if anyone has used this material in a HT application....it's supposed to be for graphic presentations. Does it make the picture glitter? Waves? Hot spot?

MQ25

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I bought a Video Spectra pull down Model C w/CSR for my home theater. My projector is ceiling mounted about 10ft off the floor. The Video Spectra is a great material, it has a very wide viewing cone and good gain. It gives a nice, vibrant image with my X1.

The problem is waves. This material tends to get wavy and they are very noticable.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.