AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning phase of rearranging everything my basement to set up my home theatre. I got everything planned from speaker placement, screen location, etc, and I've got all the parts lined up for mounting my X1 to the ceiling.

One final little puzzle: wires. Mainly wires to and from the X1. You see, my basement is already finished with a drywalled ceiling and walls. I can't bust through to run wires. So I'd like to know what others in my situation did. I'm thinking of running a pipe along the ceiling and wall to give it an industrial feel, but that's just a wild idea...

I wonder what others did... :confused:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't let drywall spoil your fun. You can easily cut sections out of the drywall, run your wire through the ceiling, and replace the drywall sections -- with a little bit of skill the patches will be absolutely unnoticable.

Now, if your floor joists run perpendicular to the direction you need to run the wire, you're in a lot more trouble. There are still ways around that, but it's a much harder problem to solve.

I understand where you're coming from. I moved into a house with a finished basement, including drywall walls and ceiling. The previous owner did great work down there, and I was terrified of ruining it. I got some advice on how to run the wire, and a little encouragement...and just went for it. It turned out far better than I could have imagined, and now the wires run through the wall/ceiling and all is good. :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vantorax
I'm thinking of running a pipe along the ceiling and wall to give it an industrial feel, but that's just a wild idea...

I wonder what others did... :confused:
I did just that. I couldn't go through (lengthwise) an exposed beam so I used tubing and fittings as a conduit to get from the projector to a closet on a side wall. The conduit is running parallel to the beam. I also have black track lighting and black surround speakers mounted on beams, so this blended in with my "country contemporary" look.

conduit pipe This isn't the greatest picture, but you can get an idea how it might look.

Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.