AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I just bought a pair of Klipsch RB 61 IIs for fronts in our livingroom/home theater set up, and I want to add a Klipsch RC 52 II as a center channel speaker. Because of our set up the center speaker has to be mounted on the ceiling and angled down toward us.

I have looked all over the net and can't find any ceiling mounts that will work with the RC 52 II. Do any of you know of a mount I can use?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
as one of the most important speakers of the "front 3", the center should be mounted close to the TV, so the audio is locked to the action on the TV. It will be a very serious compromise to the front soundfield to have your L & R speakers at, or near, seated ear level, and your center far above.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Can you post a pic of your setup? Maybe someone will have a different idea that will work for your situation.

Also I would highly recommend going with the RC62 II for the center. As m_vanmeter said the center is probably the most important speaker and its highly recommend that you match your front 3 the RC 62 II would have the same woofers as the RB 61 IIs so it would be a better match.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. Yes, in a more perfect set up I would have the left, right and center set up around the TV, but in our case we are using an Epson 8100 projector with a 120-inch diagonal screen. The screen takes up the entire wall, so the left and right speakers have to be mounted on the side walls turned toward us. I want to mount the center on the ceiling (along the same plain as the left and right fronts). That's the only place it can go.

I just can't believe I'm the only person who has needed to mount a center-channel speaker from a ceiling, but from the mounts I have seen I maybe the only one because I can't seem to find one.

As for the RC 62 II, if that's the more appropriate center to use then that's what I'll get. It is, however, a very large center-channel speaker, so I thought mounting the RC 52 II would be easier. Of course, at this point I can't seem to mount any of them because I can't find a mount to use.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
is your screen "acoustically transparent" ? That is the more typical approach to very large screens and speaker placement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but did you ever find a resolution to this? I am in the same situation with a large screen and no where to put the center but in the ceiling. thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but did you ever find a resolution to this? I am in the same situation with a large screen and no where to put the center but in the ceiling. thanks!
Same here. Well, I don't need to put it IN the ceiling necessary, so much as ON the ceiling above the 125" PJ screen. I'm getting close to being done with the room remodel and am still kind of amazed that there are so few center-channel ceiling mounts available. I seriously can't find a single one that would feasibly work. I just want something like a pair of brackets that you can adjust the angle of so you can point the speaker towards the listener. Something like this could work if it wasn't so dang tall and if you don't mind drilling holes into your speaker: http://www.wayfair.com/Cotytech-Ceiling-Bracket-SP-OS03-PGY1168.html

The universal wall/ceiling mounts with a single bolt generally will not work with my NHT M5 center-channel. I want a shelf or bracket that puts the speaker as high up as possible to fit above the projection screen. According to the EliteScreens diagram, I have 9" of clearance above the white part of my screen and the ceiling, though I don't trust their dimensions (I think it's closer to 12 inches of clearance - I'll find out for sure when I mount the screen I suppose). If I do the math on their measurements: 72.7" overall minus 63.7" comes out to 9" of area above the white. However, they claim to have 8" of black border there, and the housing is 3.7", so it has to be 11.7" I would think. Maybe it's actually a 6" border like on their 100" screen and the graph is wrong. That would make it closer to 9" and would make their diagram more accurate. My NHT M5 is 7.75" tall. If I angle it downward a little, I'm going to be getting close to being in the way of the projection beam. I don't have much extra room to work with. I might end up using my smaller, 2-way NHT SuperCenter which is only 5.5" tall, but I don't want to. Or I might try to put the ass-end of the M5 into the ceiling to keep it at 7.75" while still angling it downward. That would allow me to cut open my ceiling and expose a floor joist to bolt a mounting bracket to. I might just get some metal and make a dang bracket myself, haha. How hard could it be? Then again, I don't want to do a permanent mount since this isn't my forever-home. Sigh......wish I had a plan.

EDIT: K I have a plan. Getting a "vise brake" and some 1/8th inch sheet metal to build my own brackets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
keep us posted.

I am in the exact same boat as you : 120" screen in the living room taking all the space above the entertainment cabinet.

I'm stuck with two choices :
1) Find a pedestal for the center speaker.
Going this way would involve exposed speaker wiring going from underneath the cabinet to the pedestal and the speaker aiming towards the listener but with a rectangular table on its way.

2) Mount the center speaker at an angle on the ceiling firing down towards the listener.
Would most likely do a cut-out in the ceiling to recess the speaker as much as possible to avoid sticking out to much (interference with the projector beam and ugly).

I am currently leaning towards option 2 even if it involves more drywall cutting. The divan is 13 ft away from the screen, the ceiling is standard 8 ft and the speaker would be not more than 1 ft away from the screen. I think the distances in my case will help to merge all the speakers sound and reduce the sensation of the sound coming from the ceiling.

What I would be afraid of is having a flat surface, the ceiling, close to the speaker. I'm not sure if that's not going to mess up the sound (like having a speaker right next to a wall). But then again, how would that be different from a center speaker mounted 1ft high on a pedestal...

·
Registered
12 Posts
regarding your installation, I was think of building brackets of triangular shape on each side of the speaker box with a pivot tube in the corner that would go in the ceiling and having brackets (or hooks) screwed to the ceiling joists to receive the tube. That would allow rotation of the speaker to adjust the angle. An L-shape wood piece would be trimmed to fit the required angle and set the speaker box in place.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hello:

I just bought a pair of Klipsch RB 61 IIs for fronts in our livingroom/home theater set up, and I want to add a Klipsch RC 52 II as a center channel speaker. Because of our set up the center speaker has to be mounted on the ceiling and angled down toward us.

I have looked all over the net and can't find any ceiling mounts that will work with the RC 52 II. Do any of you know of a mount I can use?

Thanks,
David
hi David,
What did you end up doing?

Thanks,
Aty

·
Registered
142 Posts
Also in the same boat. What was the final outcome here?

Best placement is behind the screen, but I'm not going to spend $2,000 on a new screen just to place the speaker behind it. Currently have a fairly cheap 100" Elite Screen.

Center is too low to the ground right now. I've tried tilting it up a bit, with huge improvements, however, I'm still contemplating another placement behind the screen itself.

Center speaker is an infinity primus pc351.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts