AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ceiling mounting a NEC XG85 projector and I have a few questions. Is there any major benefit with a 3rd party mount vs the NEC mount? Also, my ceiling has 2x10 floor joists that run perpendicular to the screen wall and are 16" on center. What preparations should I make to the ceiling for the projector mount? I was going to nail a group of 3 2x10's stacked horizontally between two of the floor joists and fasten the ceiling mount to those 2x10's. Is this safe or is there a better way? Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm going to install this pj as well, a question is that can I still use the mounting measurements that come with the installation instruction if I use a 16x9 screen instead of a 4x3 assumed by the nec menu.

I remember reading some where in the forum that it is ok to do so but I just want to double check. if yes, I guess the only thing that I need to recalculate is the screen drop from the ceiling as the screen center distance is different for a 16x9 screen than a 4x3 screen.

please advise

·
Registered
75 Posts
any1?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I got a 3rd party from Eric Lang at www.Projectorspecs.com it seems like a good mount. The cost was about $200

Mike

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
From a mounting distance perspective, all the formulas NEC uses are based on screen WIDTH. Therefore, just forget the diagonal measurement and work with the known width of your screen and the throw distance should come out fine.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:
? I was going to nail a group of 3 2x10's stacked horizontally between two of the floor joists and fasten the ceiling mount to those 2x10's. Is this safe or is there a better way?
I don't think I would nail the 2X10 to the floor joists. It would be much better to lag them in the floor joist. I would use at least 3/8" X 3" lag bolts.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.