Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Now that I've decided to get the Sharp 9000 DLP projector, I'm working on laying the groundwork for the installation. I believe my best choice is a ceiling mount, but my ceiling is angled (upwards away from my seating position).

I haven't been able to find specifications for Sharp's ceiling mount for this projector, and I was hoping somebody might have a link to a PDF or somesuch that shows what kind of screws/bolts are required, at what distance, and how much ceiling angle the mount can tolerate.

Thanks!

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm about to purchase a Sharp 9000 and, like Mike, want to know what my ceiling mount choices are.

9000 owners, what mount(s) are you using? How much did they cost? Do you have any documentation that you can share with us?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Spoke to a local Sharp dealer today. The mount for the 9000 is the same mount Sharp uses for all of their projectors, the AN-CM-230. He'll sell it to me for $230.

I'm sure there are other options too. Anyone know of any?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the current mount provided with the Sharp (after waiting 2 weeks for delivery) and I am more than happy to share the detail with you guys.

I can scan in the instructions, provide measurements, etc. Just let me know what you want.

I too looked for alternative mounts, but I grew impatient and went with the model mentioned above.

FYI- There is an optional extension bar that you need if you want to lower the projector more than 5". I can provide parts and model number for that later in the week. In the meantime, I went to a local machine shop and have rigged up an extension on my own.

·
Registered
401 Posts
sullmeist, scanning in the instructions (and providing measurements if they are not a part of the instructions) would be great! If you have a digital camera, pictures of the install would be nice too. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I 2nd Augie's request. I can also host the files on my server. Has anyone managed to get a replacement bulb price yet?

Spero D.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds great! I would be very interested to see the measurements and documentation, thanks!

The key question for me is how to mount the projector on a sloped ceiling. My ceiling in the room where the projector will go is vaulted, and my seating arrangement looks across the vault (so that the peak is about halfway between my seats and the screen). So, with the projector mounted to the ceiling behind my seats, the ceiling will be sloping up and away from the back to the front of the projector. I'm not sure of the pitch, but I may need the extension to get the projector down low enough that it doesn't contact the ceiling.

Thanks again!

·
Banned
455 Posts
Augie,

You received incorrect info. The mount for the 9000 is the ANCM-250. Unfortunately, I don't have a PDF of its specs.

Best,

Pat

·
Registered
59 Posts
hifipj is correct. The main mounting bracket is AN-CM250.

justmike- Your situation is very similar to mine (without the slope). I have an AC duct that runs across my theater room and I had to lower the projector an additional 6 inches. I have some ideas for your room, if you can give me some details on the degree of the slope.

Sharp has an extension to lower the projector. It is called the "Optional Adjustable Extension Tube" (Model AN-EP101B). I don't have the price on this part, but I came up with an alternative solution.

I waited for the extension tube to be delivered and lost patience. I went to a local machine shop and used a 1/4" threaded rod with fine threading and a coupler and built the extension myself.

FYI- This part was not available at Home Depot, Menards, True Value or Ace Hardware. Unbeknownst to me, there are limited consumer applications for fine threaded bolts, so these retail locations do not carry them. I went to a machine shop I found online and picked up the parts for less than $8.00. They also have the parts available online with 2 day delivery.

The shop is called McMaster-Carr Supply Company in Elmhurst, IL. ( www.mcmaster.com ). I have the exact part numbers that I used if anyone needs the detail. The parts worked great and fit like a glove.

As soon as I can get to my scanner, I will get the documentation for the main mount.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sullmeist, thanks! I would definitely be interested in the details of your homemade extension for the Sharp ceiling mount.

My ceiling's angle is a hair above 30 degrees (I couldn't find the protractor, but my 30-60-90 triangle was a few degrees off level). I would like to get the projector as close to the back wall as possible so that it will be behind my seats and less likely to be audible during quiet passages, and so that my cable runs will be as short as possible.

I appreciate any ideas!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I emailed Sharp using their "contact us" email form:

http://www.sharp-usa.com/global/Cont...,1878,,00.html

(You can also call them at 1-800-BE-SHARP.) They emailed me back and asked for my fax number so they could send me the installation instructions. (In your email, include your fax number and tell them to fax the instructions to you. It'll save you a step.)

The 9000-specific bracket is indeed the AN-CM250. My local dealer sells it for $250. I won't scan in all 11 pages of the instructions, but I will include some dimension and measurement figures here.

Ceiling plate: 4x18 inches

Ceiling to bottom of projector: 13 1/16 inches

Ceiling to center of lens: 10 3/16 inches

Ceiling to top of projector: 6 7/16 inches

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great tip!! I've just asked for the bracket specs. It sounds as if I'm likely to need a short extension.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Augie

Ceiling plate: 4x18 inches
Are you sure it is 18 inches long, not 8 inches ?

Cam

·
Registered
401 Posts
Positive. It has to be at least 16 inches to span the gap between two ceiling joists. From the instructions:

"The outer row of holes are 16" between centers which is the most common beam spacing in residential wood frame construction."

It can also be mounted along one joist.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi:

I have a vaulted ceiling too in my home theatre room. I plan to install my Sharp on the ceiling as well. I need your help, please!

1. Does the ceiling-mount brackets come with the Sharp unit....the dealer said it does.

2. I think I need to drop the projector about 6' from the ceiling (FYI, the ceiling is about 15', with the top of the screen at about 6' from the floor/ground). How low/aligned should be the projector lens with respect to the projector screen (I am getting a 123" diagonal screen)

I would appreciate if you can send me ALL relevant details and instructions. Thanks a ton!

Amar

Quote:
Originally posted by sullmeist
hifipj is correct. The main mounting bracket is AN-CM250.

justmike- Your situation is very similar to mine (without the slope). I have an AC duct that runs across my theater room and I had to lower the projector an additional 6 inches. I have some ideas for your room, if you can give me some details on the degree of the slope.

Sharp has an extension to lower the projector. It is called the "Optional Adjustable Extension Tube" (Model AN-EP101B). I don't have the price on this part, but I came up with an alternative solution.

I waited for the extension tube to be delivered and lost patience. I went to a local machine shop and used a 1/4" threaded rod with fine threading and a coupler and built the extension myself.

FYI- This part was not available at Home Depot, Menards, True Value or Ace Hardware. Unbeknownst to me, there are limited consumer applications for fine threaded bolts, so these retail locations do not carry them. I went to a machine shop I found online and picked up the parts for less than $8.00. They also have the parts available online with 2 day delivery.

The shop is called McMaster-Carr Supply Company in Elmhurst, IL. ( www.mcmaster.com ). I have the exact part numbers that I used if anyone needs the detail. The parts worked great and fit like a glove.

As soon as I can get to my scanner, I will get the documentation for the main mount.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Amar,

The ceiling mount does not come with the projector. Your dealer may throw it in, but it is a separate part number and needs to be ordered separately from Sharp. It's part number AN-CM250. My dealer will sell it to me for $205.

I'm not sure how long the optional extension tube is. It's model AN-EP101B. But, like sullmeist says, you can get one made.

The center is the projector lens should not be higher than the top of the screen. If it is a touch higher though, you can aim the projector down a bit and use keystone adjustment to correct.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The projector can't be any higher than the top edge of your screen, or you will have to tilt it down and then use the keystone correction feature (which adversely affects image quality).

The ceiling mount bracket does NOT come with the projector in the box. Your dealer may bundle the two together, but it's two separate product SKUs.

Also, from my perusal of the specs for the bracket and the extension (and the extension is a THIRD separate SKU), the Sharp extension pole is not usable on a sloped ceiling. The reason is that the extension screws directly into the ceiling bracket, and the tilt-adjustment knuckle screws into the pole. So, there's no knuckle at the bracket-pole interface. Consequently, the pole will always be perpendicular to the ceiling, and that simply won't do if the ceiling isn't flat and parallel to the floor.

Fortunately, in my setup the projector can be mounted all the way at the back wall, and end up hanging in approximately the right spot to make it exactly even with the top of my screen. This will be my initial installation. I do plan, however, to make a customized extension pole using the 1/4 x 20 threaded rod with a bend or knuckle at the top, so that I can lower the image enough to accommodate a variable masking system.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I dealt with this problem a few months ago, as I also have a vaulted ceiling. I don't know about the Sharp, but most projector mounts that are "standard equipment" (i.e., made by the projector manufacturer) are not suitable for a sloped ceiling as they do not have enough play to allow you to tilt the projector down or up enough to account for the slope. Perhaps the Sharp will, but if not, you either have to jury-rig something to work with the Sharp mount, or you can get from companies that specialize in projector ceiling mounts (e.g., Peerless Industries) a projector mount and an optional bracket that they make specifically to account for a sloped or vaulted ceiling. From looking at the Peerless web site, it looks like they have a new mount specifically made for the Sharp 9000. My problem was solved by using a hushbox, which had the capacity to handle my sloped ceiling, but if I had not gone this route, I probably would have gone with a Peerless mount.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spero,

No, that's not the same bracket at all. I'm not even sure that's the correct bracket for the 9000 -- I seem to remember there being some errors on the Sharp web site.

The bracket for the 9000 is a plate almost the size of the base of the projector, which screws to the bottom of the projector. In the approximate center, there's half of a knuckle fitting.

There's a separate plate (18" by 4" approximately, if memory serves) which bolts to the ceiling. In the center of it, there's a threaded hole that accepts another knuckle-and-a-half.

So, you mount the plate to the ceiling, screw in the knuckle-and-a-half, then lift the projector into place and connect the half-knuckle on the projector bracket to its mate.

The double knuckle allows both vertical (tilt) correction and projection-axis (roll) correction, and obviously you could twist the knuckle in the ceiling bracket to get horizontal (yaw -- side-to-side) adjustment.

Unfortunately (from my perspective), the knuckles are done somewhat poorly -- the tilt knuckle is the one closest to the projector. This has two adverse effects:

1) If the ceiling is sloped, then there's a longer lever arm putting a bending load on the ceiling bracket, since the first 2" of the double knuckle is perpendicular to the ceiling.

2) The roll adjustment is farther from the center of the projector, meaning that there's a larger horizontal displacement when adjusting the projector for level.

This is all much easier to grok if you have the illustrations from the manual...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.